Dandelion Parachutes

The Escapades of Youngjae and Kyungsoo

A brilliant full moon hangs low on the horizon as thousands of twinkling stars punctuate an otherwise clear and velvety sky. Joyous shouts and laughter fill the air as families relax and socialize on blankets and lawn chairs throughout the grassy fields of the local city park. Parents chatter amongst themselves as they keep watchful eyes on their children running up and down the hills, waiting for the annual fireworks festival to commence.

Youngjae is lying flat on his stomach, fists clenched and elbows sticking out, wiggling his hips to slowly inch himself forward as he takes care not to rustle the grass too much.

Almost there.

Looking left and right, he pulls in his arms against his body and rolls along the grass until he is safely hidden behind their big blue ice cooler. Youngjae crawls up onto his hands and knees, peeking around the cooler to make sure that nobody had seen him so far.

Daddy Himchan and daddy Yongguk are still busy talking to uncle Kris and uncle Junmyeon, sitting on their lawn chairs with their backs turned against him.

Safe!

The time is now!

Youngjae continues crawling forward until he is right below daddy Yongguk’s chair. He glances up to his left and sees that daddy Himchan and his uncles have not yet noticed his presence. Youngjae inhales quietly through his nose, and then holds his breath.

Slowly, very slowly, Youngjae inches his hand toward the space between daddy Himchan’s and daddy Yongguk’s chairs.

Once he feels something soft and fluffy under his touch, Youngjae closes his fingers into a fist around the target object.

Yes!

Without a second glance, Youngjae yanks hard and scampers off before the adults even have a chance to process that anything had happened at all.

“What?” Yongguk says with wide eyes as he watches his son run off, Himchan’s black fleece hoodie trailing behind him.

--

Not too far away from their families, Youngjae finally takes a deep breath as he slows down into a walk. He strolls a little ways up a hill where Kyungsoo is rolling back and forth along the grass, dispersing clouds of dandelion fluff into the inky black sky.  Youngjae watches for a minute as the little white puffs drift away and disappear, blending into the night.

Kyungsoo finally stops rolling and lays flat on his back, arms and legs spread out like a starfish. He sneezes, and sneezes, and sneezes again as little bits of fluff get inside his nose.

“Look,” Youngjae finally says, catching Kyungsoo’s attention. “Got something.”

Kyungsoo grins as he glances upside down at Youngjae towering above his head. He notices the big black bundle Youngjae has clutched in his arms and pulls himself into a sitting position.

“Thanks!” Kyungsoo says, still sniffling his nose. He pats the patch of grass beside him and Youngjae plops down, shaking out Himchan’s hoodie. Youngjae hands Kyungsoo the right sleeve as he sticks his own arm into the left. Kyungsoo helps Youngjae bring the ends of the jacket together and, with their combined effort, they manage to zip it up just below their chins.

Snuggling into each other, warm and comfortable, the boys wait for the fireworks to start.

a/n: this is a short one. no mayhem. just fluff. :3