Got Milk?

The Escapades of Youngjae and Kyungsoo

“Give it back,” Kyungsoo whines, jumping up and down as Chanyeol dangles a banana nut muffin above his head. Kyungsoo grabs a fistful of his hyung’s shirt and tries to climb up his body to reach for the breakfast pastry. “I’m gonna tell daddy!”

Luhan snorts into his cereal bowl as Chanyeol continues to stretch his arm up as far is it will go. Kyungsoo huffs, stamping his foot on the ground as Junmyeon ushers the rest of his children into the kitchen.

“Daddy,” Kyungsoo wails, pulling on his daddy’s pant leg as Junmyeon grabs a few plates and bowls from the cabinet for the freshly woken up boys. “Hyung’s being mean to me.”

“Hm? What was that sweetheart?” Junmyeon asks, glancing down at Kyungsoo as he places the assorted colors of plastic plates and bowls on the counter to load them up with breakfast.

“Chanyeol hyung took my muffin,” Kyungsoo tattles, pointing at the culprit. “He won’t give it back.”

“Honey, give your brother his muffin back,” Junmyeon chastises, passing on the cereal or muffin to his waiting kids as desired.

Grinning innocently, Chanyeol quietly hands Kyungsoo the pastry. Sticking out his tongue, Kyungsoo snatches his breakfast, shoving it into his mouth before Chanyeol hyung can take it away again.

Ugh, hyungs are so annoying.

One day, when he’s bigger…

Cheeks ballooning, Kyungsoo contemplates revenge, trying to chew his muffin as fast as he can and watching daddy Kris walk in with baby Sehun in his arms. As Kris settles Sehun into the high chair, Kyungsoo quickly swallows his food and scurries over to his dad, choking a little as it gets caught in his throat.

“Daddy!” Kyungsoo coughs, pulling on Kris’ back pocket, “how do you get to be big and strong?”

Kris gently pats Kyungsoo on the back to help him dislodge the chunk.

“You drink lots of milk and eat your fruits and vegetables,” Junmyeon answers from the side, pouring two cups of coffee for the adults.

Kyungsoo eyes daddy Junmyeon for a moment before turning back to Kris.

Daddy Kris, how do you get to be big and strong?”

“What? You don’t trust me?” Junmyeon pouts, handing Kris a cup of coffee and ruffling Kyungsoo’s hair. Kyungsoo tries to swat his hand away.

“Well,” Kyungsoo shrugs, “daddy Kris is really tall. So, he probably knows the secret better than you do.” He eyes his daddy Junmyeon again before adding, “You’re not that tall.”

“Excuse me?” Junmyeon splutters, looking scandalized. “I am plenty tall.”

Kris laughs, rubbing Junmyeon’s back comfortingly as Jongin’s nodding head falls into the cereal bowl.

“Oh no,” Junmyeon groans, rushing over to his soaked son as Kris turns back to Kyungsoo.

“Well, daddy Jun might not be tall but he has it right,” Kris smiles, brushing Kyungsoo’s bangs off his forehead. “You drink lots of milk and eat your veggies.”

“Milk and veggies,” Kyungsoo repeats to himself as Kris runs off to Yixing’s rescue, Baekhyun and Jongdae pulling on the strings of Yixing’s hoodie and tying it into a knot to hide his face.

--

“Daddy Kris says you gotta drink lots of milk to grow up like a big kid,” Kyungsoo waves his milk carton in the air as Youngjae nods thoughtfully.

“You just drink it?” Youngjae takes a sip of his milk before tilting the carton and scrutinizing the words on the side.

“Yeah, I guess,” Kyungsoo replies, opening his own milk box and taking a sip.

“Well,” Jihoon interrupts from across the table, tapping his chin. “You water plants and they grow up really big. And fast.”

“Hm,” Kyungsoo hums, thinking this through. It does make sense.

“Like when we did the peanuts. Miss Tiffany helped us water them and put them in the sun and they grew all big and tall.”

Realization hits and Kyungsoo’s eyes turn wide. He’s right!

“Okay, so,” Youngjae frowns, “then we water ourself with milk to get big fast?”

Jihoon shrugs.

Kyungsoo and Youngjae stare at each other.

Silence.

“Okay, you do it first,” Kyungsoo shoves his milk box into Youngjae’s chest.

“No, this is your idea,” Youngjae counters, pushing his own carton back at Kyungsoo. “You do it first.”

“No, you first.”

You first.”

“No, you.”

You go first.”                  

Kyungsoo and Youngjae argue, alternately pushing their milk cartons at each other. After about three minutes of listening to their squabble, Taemin huffs in irritation. He rises from his spot beside Jihoon, walks around the lunch table, and stops behind his loud and annoying friends. Without a second thought, Taemin grabs both cartons from their hands and promptly dumps the milk onto their heads.

“There, now you both can go first.”

Kyungsoo and Youngjae turn their heads in shock, little white rivulets still gliding down the sides of their faces.

Taemin crosses his arms.

Kyungsoo and Younjgae stare at each other.

Youngjae watches a droplet of milk slide down Kyungsoo’s nose.

Their lips quirk up into little smiles.

And what happens next goes down so quickly, the teacher’s aides on lunch duty never even stand a chance to prevent it from happening.

Youngjae squishes his chocolate pudding cup and smears it onto Taemin’s shirt as Kyungsoo flings his apple sauce, misses, and hits Taeil hyung sitting behind at the next table.

Taeil gasps.

The surrounding tables go quiet.

Oops.

“Ew,” Taeil moans, trying to comb the apple sauce out of his sticky hair and accidentally flicking a handful onto his best friend, Minseok.

Surprised, Minseok blinks down at his shirt, a splotch of yellow staining the white. He glances back up at Taeil and they just stare at each other for a few seconds. Taeil raises a brow.

“Not my fault.”

Snorting, Minseok dips his finger into his ketchup and smears it down Taeil’s cheek.

The silent cafeteria suddenly erupts in a tumultuous uproar of battle cries and chaos.

Yoona and Yesung shriek as they try to restore order in the cafeteria, an all-out food war breaking out amongst all grades. Yesung grabs hold of Yoona as she slips on a wet plastic wrap on the floor, losing balance and flailing her arms as she glides a few inches across the linoleum.

“Oh my god, what do we do?” Yoona panics, not knowing where to even start.

Yesung wails in distress as a particularly juicy piece of sandwich meat gets slapped onto his cheek.

a/n: hehehehehohohoho sorry if this gets repetitive. i have an obsession with food fights. childhood memories and all. i can never get over it. TuT