Destination: Neverland

The Escapades of Youngjae and Kyungsoo

It’s a warm, sunny day with blue skies and puffy, white clouds that drift slowly across the sky. A light hum of bees drifts through the air as they flit from flower to flower, gathering nectar to store in their hive. A melody of chirping birds can be heard throughout the playground as children laugh and run and play, enjoying their momentary respite from classes and learning.

In the midst of the frolicking and the laughter, two boys sit in stillness and silence, cross-legged on the grass, staring each other down.

Kyungsoo blinks as he feels a light breeze ruffle his fringe across his eyes. He briskly pushes the offending pieces of hair out of the way as he maintains Youngjae’s steady gaze. Their attentions are focused solely on each other, blocking out the noise of the other students around them, locked in an intense competition of which neither want to lose. This is a battle of endurance and sheer willpower, and Kyungsoo is determined to win.

Kyunsoo widens his eyes and slowly presses in towards Youngjae, going cross-eyed as he leans in too close. Youngjae doesn’t budge, holding his ground. Kyungsoo wiggles his eyebrows and rapidly flares his nostrils.

The corners of Youngjae’s mouth tilt up very briefly before his expression is once again wiped blank. Youngjae pushes Kyungsoo out of his air and into his own spot, but Kyungsoo has already sensed a break in Youngjae’s resolve as his gaze slightly falters, lashes fluttering against his cheeks. Youngjae gives a slight, almost imperceptible cough in the back of his throat. Kyungsoo follows a bead of sweat as it glides down Youngjae’s temple. You’re mine.

Kyungsoo takes this moment of weakness to attack, rolling his eyes up into the back of his head and stealing into Youngjae’s personal space once again.

Youngjae chokes, doubles over, and regurgitates the fifteen or so mini marshmallows that he had managed to shove into his ballooned cheeks.

“MWWH!” Kyungsoo cheers as he leans away from Youngjae’s projectile, fists raised into the air, while Youngjae, still hunched over, continues to cough out blobs of marshmallow that had melted into a glue-like substance inside his throat. Kyungsoo turns to the side and spits out gooey webs of the marshmallow mush and then crawls around Youngjae’s mess to pat him on the back.

Youngjae shoves his hands away, glaring up at Kyungsoo, “cheater.”

“Am not,” Kyungsoo sings gleefully, “I win fair and square.” Youngjae straightens up and wipes smudges of white confection from around his frowning mouth with the back of his hand. Kyungsoo shakes his with squatted knees and bent elbows in a victory dance, “I win and that means you gotta do the dare.”

Youngjae gets up and brushes the grass off his pants, sniffing his nose in disapproval.

--

All is quiet in Miss Tiffany’s classroom as everyone has their heads bent over their math workbooks, diligently tracing their numbers. Tiffany glances over her students, shuffling a stack of coloring pages, ready to transition the kids from math time to art time. When the clock hits one, Tiffany claps her hands and calls for attention, “okay class! Please finish up with the page you are on and put your workbooks away so that we can make a nice, nifty little coloring book!” Tiffany rises from her desk, preparing to pass out the coloring pages when a BANG! interrupts her train of thought.

 All attention is snapped to the door as it swings open so hard that it bounces off the wall and closes back shut, but not before Youngjae bursts through shouting “I’M TINKERBELL!”, hair up in two tiny pigtails, sunglasses on, and clutching tubes of glitter, smuggled from Miss Sooyoung’s art cabinet, in each fist. Youngjae then proceeds to weave through the desks, pelting everyone with glitter, (“FLY AWAY TO NEVERLAND!”), as Miss Tiffany chases after him, shouting “oh my God. Where is Jessica when you need her?!”

As he passes by Kyungsoo’s desk, Youngjae promply dumps one of the tubes over Kyungsoo’s head as revenge for the embarrassing pigtails (“No, no, no, stop! Someone help! Jessica where are you?!”).

“Hey!”

Youngjae laughs in triumph, still chased by Miss Tiffany, (“Useless teacher’s aide!”), as Kyungsoo jumps up from his desk, giving his head a hard shake and hitting Daehyun in the face with a shower of glitter. This becomes a catalyst for action as Daehyun and Jongin then join into the fray, never ones to be left out of happenings, picking up the glitter left behind by Youngjae and smearing it into their neighbors’ face and hair.

--

Kyungsoo and Youngjae sit side by side in the principal’s office, sparkling under the halogen lights, waiting as the secretary makes a phone call to each of their parents. Kyungsoo leans his head back and stares at the ceiling as Youngjae swings his legs, arms tucked at the sides and fingers wrapped around the edges of his seat. Keeping his eyes trained on the secretary, he leans closer to Kyungsoo and whispers into his ear.

“You’re still a cheater.”

a/n: omg why does everything i write end in chaos and pandemonium?? i didnt even mean for it to end this way. this was supposed to be a short cute competition of chubby bunnies but my brain went haywire and things got out of control. again. im so sorry i just. i cant. omg. this one has no rhyme nor reason and actually does not make any sense to me at all ㅠㅜ.