Indoor Camping

The Escapades of Youngjae and Kyungsoo

“I’m bored,” Kyungsoo informs, belly flopping onto Youngjae’s bunk bed to roll around and cocoon himself inside a layer of thick comforter. Youngjae glances up from the floor where he’s hunched over a large pile of brightly colored construction papers, cutting and pasting random geometric shapes into a collage of pretty rainbows and patterns.

“What do you wanna do?” Youngjae asks, putting down the scissors and green sheet of paper that he’s currently turning into some octagon-like shape to paste above the yellow triangle-y thing.

“I dunno,” Kyungsoo replies, voice muffled from the blanket covering his face. “Let’s play camping.”

“Camping,” Youngjae repeats, thinking it over. “Okay.”

Kyungsoo’s face pops out of the comforter burrito, grinning wide as ideas begin to form in his head. “We can use the bed as the tent!” he suggests, trying to untangle himself from the blanket to quickly get to work.

“I’ll do it from up there,” Youngjae points to the upper bunk, pushing himself up off the floor. Shoving the pile of art materials to the side of the room, Youngjae climbs up the ladder onto Daehyun’s bed, reaching his hand over for Kyungsoo to hand him one end of the blanket. Together, they tuck the edges of the comforter into the bedrails, forming a little walled-off cave inside Youngjae’s bunk.

“Okay. Tent, check,” Kyungsoo calls as Youngjae climbs down the ladder, swinging over the side bar and plopping down on his bed across from Kyungsoo.

“What next?” Youngjae asks, spreading out his legs and propping himself up on his arms.

Kyungsoo furrows his brows in concentration, nose wrinkling as he thinks hard about what follows in a camping trip. “We need s’mores!” he finally says, pointing a finger into the air as if he’s had the most brilliant idea.

“I think we have marshmallows,” Youngjae hums, trying to remember if daddy Himchan had let them get the bag of jumbo marshmallows the last time they’d went to the super market. “Let’s go see.”

“Okay,” Kyungsoo agrees. And so the two carefully climb under the cascading blanket, making their way out of the room and heading down the stairs for the kitchen.

“Should be here,” Youngjae mumbles as he opens the pantry door, grasping a shelf and tiptoeing to peer over one of the middle shelves. “I see it!” Youngjae exclaims, reaching his arm above the shelf of dried pasta boxes and baking products for a clear plastic bag filled with puffy white treats. His fingers scrabble for the plastic bag before finally getting a firm grasp and pulling it down. “Got it. What next?”

“We gotta toast it, duh,” Kyungsoo replies obviously, glancing around the kitchen for somewhere they could build a fire.

“No,” Youngjae says flatly as Kyungsoo’s eyes spy a large, brown earthenware pot in the corner that Himchan had received as a gift from one of his clients.

“But we need to make a fire!” Kyungsoo pouts, crossing his arms. “We can’t just eat normal marshmallows. It’s gotta be toasted marshmallows.”

“Fine,” Youngjae’s eyes narrow in concentration, also checking around the kitchen for ideas, when inspiration strikes.  With an easy smile, Youngjae prances over to a row of drawers, plastic bag swinging by his side. “Come on!” he calls, settling the marshmallows on the counter and digging up a pair of metal chopsticks from the top drawer.

“Whatcha doin?” Kyungsoo asks curiously as Youngjae tears open the bag and skewers a marshmallow each onto both chopsticks.

“Here, hold this,” Younjgae commands, pushing both sticks into Kyungsoo’s hands. Youngjae runs off to the dining table, grabbing a chair and dragging it over to the stove.

“Oh,” Kyungsoo nods, finally understanding. “That’ll work!”

“Come here,” Youngjae climbs onto the chair first, grabbing the chopsticks and setting them on the stovetop, before pulling Kyungsoo up too.

“I think this is how daddy Himchan did it,” Youngjae’s voice falters in hesitation, eyeing the little black knobs with apprehension. He reaches out a shaky hand, following what his daddy normally does and pushing the button before twitting it to the side.

“Woah,” Kyungsoo flinches back a little as clicking noises fill the room and a fire ignites on the front left stove. Youngjae quickly turns the knob in the opposite direction, making the clicking stop and the flame burn a little bit lower.

“I think that’s good,” Kyungsoo says hastily, patting the back of Youngjae’s hand as he tries turning the knob again to make the fire bigger.

“Okay,” Youngjae shrugs, grabbing the chopsticks and handing one to Kyungsoo. Together, they hold their marshmallows above the fire, watching with fascination as the little blue flame and curls around the metal stove cover.

“Oops,” Youngjae’s eyes go round as his marshmallow melts a little too quickly and plops down into the center of the burner, a thin stream of black smoke curling into the air. “Oh well,” Youngjae grabs another marshmallow from the bag, sticking it on and holding it above the fire again. This time, Youngjae pays closer attention to his treat, making sure it’s turning evenly crisp on each side. He’s so fixated on his own marshmallow, trying to make sure he doesn’t mess up again, he doesn’t even notice when Kyungsoo’s catches on fire, the white exterior bubbling away into a burning mess.

“Oh no!” Kyungsoo squeals, flailing his arms very exuberantly and nearly knocking Youngjae off the chair. “Oh no, oh no, oh no!” He swings the chopstick so hard that the marshmallow slides off of the metal chopstick and flings across the kitchen to stick on the ceiling fan above the dining table.

For a brief moment of silence, Kyungsoo and Youngjae both stare at the projectile as it flies across the room.

“Oh no!” Youngjae shouts, scrambling off the chair and making his way to the sink to grab a cup and fill it with water. “My house is gonna burn down! Help me!”

Kyungsoo follows suit, grabbing a cereal bowl from the open dishwasher and filling it up with water. The both hurdle towards the ceiling fan, with much water sloshing out of the containers, where the burning marshmallow is still stuck to its wooden surface.

“Hurry up!” Youngjae orders, climbing on top of the dining table and flinging his cup of water towards the fan. Most of the water actually ends up splashing down on Youngjae’s face, but this doesn’t’ really register because his attention is entirely focused on the single task to not burn his house down.

“Here!” Kyungsoo reaches his bowl to Youngjae, flinching a little as half its contents come raining down on his head.

“We need more!” Youngjae says, handing Kyungsoo the cup and bowl while watching a small stream of wispy smoke still float away from the marshmallow stuck on the fan.

“Okay!” Kyungsoo grabs the items from Youngjae, ready to turn and run towards the sink, when…

“What’s going on?” Yongguk calls, nose crinkling as he enters the kitchen with baby Junhong balanced in one arm. “Why is something burning?” He stops in his tracks, eyeing the dripping boys and watery mess spreading around the dining table, and the tiny puff of black smoke floating above the stove like an ominous raincloud. “What.”

a/n: i blame writers block for poor quality, but really im just not good at this T^T sorry for crap writing but this is all i can give you for now. im trying, but i think im in a bit of a slump. i cant seem to produce anything other than junk at the moment. much apologies. ㅠㅜ i shall try to find my inspiration again. pls be patient with me. TuT