4

Drive Me to Busan

They packed a bunch of things they thought they would need that night when everyone was asleep. The manager had set the GPS to Busan, and left the key on the kitchen counter for Aron and Minhyun to take. Minhyun wrote JR a letter explaining that they had gone to Busan and were planning to come back within 24 hours. He also apologized to the leader, knowing that JR would be disappointed for not at least telling him.

And so, after the hasty preparations, they stowed away that night in the car and started their journey to Busan.

Minhyun had prepared coffee for Aron and himself, knowing that they’re going to be awake all night. Minhyun could sleep, but he didn’t want to leave Aron awake by himself. It felt unfair to rest peacefully while Aron was taking the wheel.

“Here hyung, drink,” Minhyun told Aron as he put the cup to Aron’s lips as Aron was driving. Aron sipped slightly, eyes focused on the road.

“Thanks,” he said.

“Thank you so much for doing this!” Minhyun thanked Aron for the millionth time.

“Stop thanking me!” Aron laughed, “you’re welcome. Now you should go to sleep. You’ll need to be well-rested when you see your mother or else you’ll spend your time in Busan sleeping.”

“No way. I’m not going to sleep while you’re awake driving and struggling to stay awake.”

“Minhyun, I’m fine.”

“No, I refuse…”

“Min, remember that promise you made when I agreed to take you? You’ll do anything I ask you? Well, now I’m asking you to sleep.”

Minhyun sighed and nodded, He leapt from the front seat into the back, and lied down.

“Hyung,” Minhyun called before her drifted off to sleep.

“Hmm?”

“I love you.”

Aron laughed at the cheesiness, “go to sleep Minhyun. You’re being delirious.”

Minhyun smiled, and within moments he was fast asleep.

He woke up when the night was fading into dawn, when he felt Aron’s hands patting his .

“Hyung what are you doing,” Minhyun asked tiredly.

“Where’s your wallet?”

“Huh?”

“We need gas, and I can’t find your wallet.”

“You pay for now and I’ll pay you back,” Minhyun responded, too tired to look for it.

“I didn’t bring my money. I figured I wouldn’t need it given that you’re paying for this trip.”

Minhyun sat up tiredly and wiped his eyes, trying to recall where he left his wallet. He patted his pockets and realized they weren’t there. He looked around the car and couldn’t find it. He started to panic. He quickly looked around the front seat. It wasn’t there. He looked in the trunk of the car here they had packed a few belongings. Nothing.

It occurred to him that he had forgotten it in Seoul.

“,” Minhyun cursed when he realized.

“Don’t tell me you forgot it…”

“Sorry, hyung,” Minhyun said guiltily.

“Well that’s just great, now what are we going to do?” Aron said in frustration.

They were at a gas station. The young man that was worked there had already filled the gas tank, and was waiting for them to pay. He had seen as Minhyun frantically searched around the car, and he noticed their dilemma.

“You should call someone to bring you the money,” the gas boy suggested.

“We’re three hours from Seoul and four hours from Busan. That would be difficult,” Aron responded, stressed out.

Minhyun felt terrible that this was happening. He couldn’t believe he was stupid enough to forget his wallet. Minhyun felt like it was his responsibility to fix this somehow.

“Excuse me,” Minhyun called out to the gas boy, “would it be possible pay you on our way back? We’re going to Busan now, and we’re only staying there a couple of hours, and we’ll be back tomorrow. I promise I’ll pay you back.”

“Umm,” the gas boy said unsurely, “I don’t think that’s possible, sir.”

“Idiot,” Aron mumbled towards Minhyun.

The gas boy then began to look at Minhyun more watchfully. It was a strange look. There was a hint of a smile on his lips as he called out to Minhyun, “sir, I’ll lend you the money.”

“Really?” Minhyun said with a smile of relief.

“Yes. But do you promise to pay it back?”

Minhyun nodded, “yes, yes! I promise!”

The gas boy smiled, “then consider your gas paid for.”

“Thank you, thank you!” Minhyun told the gas boy, bowing his head towards him continuously.

The gas boy laughed and flashed a charming smile at Minhyun, “what your name?”

“Minhyun, Hwang Minhyun.”

“I’m Sihyun, Yoo Sihyun.”

Minhyun bowed his head, “pleased to meet you.”

“I’ll give you my number, for on your way back.”

Minhyun nodded and quickly took out his phone. They exchanged numbers.

“Great,” Sihyun said with a smile. It was a genuine smile, which was actually kind of strange. Even the nicest of people wouldn’t smile like that upon meeting someone for the first time.

Aron cleared his throat, “Minhyun, let's go,” he called out, probably feeling a little left out.

Sihyun turned his head towards Aron. “Is he your friend?” Sihyun asked Minhyun, as if Aron were not there right in front of him.

“Yeah, kind of,” Minhyun laughed.

“Kind of?”

“I mean, yes we’re friends of course. We’re actually idols, from the boy group NU’EST.”

“No wonder you’re so good-looking!” Sihyun said, making Minhyun blush.

“Minhyun!” Aron called out again, “let’s go.”

“Well I’m going to...”

“Can I treat you and your friend to breakfast?” Sihyun interrupted before Minhyun could say anything else. “You guys don’t have money, and you both look tired as hell. The gas station has a coffee shop with breakfast options.”

“You don’t have to,” Minhyun responded, feeling guilty.

“I want to!” Sihyun responded giddily.

“What do you say hyung?” Minhyun asked Aron. Indeed, Aron looked tired, and Minhyun knew that Aron needed coffee.

“No, I would rather not,” Aron responded. “Let’s go,” he said as he entered the car.

“I guess he doesn’t want to,” Minhyun shrugged, “thank you though, for everything!”

“You’re welcome, Minhyun-ah. It was really nice to meet you.”

“I’ll take money from my parents in Busan and I’ll make sure to come by here on our way back to repay you.”

“I look forward to seeing you then!” Sihyun replied, “text me a few hours before you’re here, alright?”

“Okay.”

“Can I have a hug?” Sihyun requested shyly.

Minhyun found it a strange request, but figured Sihyun is just a skinshippy kind of guy. Although skinship bothered him, he recognized it was the least he could do after the boy just loaned them $40.

They hugged, and broke apart when Aron honked the horn of the car.

“I have to go,” Minhyun said quickly, breaking away from the hug.

“I’ll see you later then,” Sihyun said with a bright smile.

Minhyun waved as he got into the car. Aron immediately started it and drove away. There was something off about Aron as he drove.

“Hyung, are you okay?” MInhyun asked in concern.

“I’m fine,” Aron said apathetically.

“You’re angry because I forgot my wallet, aren’t you?” Minhyun said guiltily.

“No,” Aron said with a sigh, “it’s not that. Minhyun, remember what you promised? That you’ll do everything I ask?”

“Yeah…”

“I’m going to ask you to not speak to that gas boy.”

“What, why not? He’s really nice and…”

“Are you really that blind as to not see that he’s gay?”

“What?”

“You could see it from the way he dresses and talks. And the way he was flirting with you. Minhyun, guys don’t just give strangers $40. He wants something from you.”

“Even if he was gay, and even if he was attracted to me, I don’t think it’s right to just shun him like that, hyung.”

“Just listen to me, okay? Don’t text him. Don’t do any of that…”

“I still don’t get what so wrong with it,” Minhyun muttered.

“Do you like him too, Minhyun?” Aron said a little more firmly then usual, “if you do, then by all means talk to him and let him date you…”

“Hyung you’re being too unfair…”

“Minhyun, you really don’t understand, do you?”

“What don’t I understand?”

“Never mind. Just remember your promise.”

A silence fell between them. Minhyun felt his phone vibrate, and he saw that Sihyun had already texted him.

I miss you already keke :D

Minhyun wanted to respond to Sihyun, but then held back, knowing that it would disappoint Aron. Minhyun sighed and put away his phone, feeling quite rude that he had just ignored someone who had lent him $40.

It was the least that Minhyun could do for Aron though. Aron had bags under his eyes, and had sacrificed sleep and risked his career to take him to Busan. It would be really selfish to not grant him this one request.

--

A/N: Sorry for the late update guys! And I realized that my writing kind of because it's like 96% dialogue. Oh well. :D