12

Drive Me to Busan

“Hyung, stop at Sihyun’s gas station, okay?” Minhyun told Aron, “I have to pay him back.”

Aron nodded, “no flirting okay??” Aron warned jokingly.

Minhyun chuckled as he texted Sihyun saying that they were an hour away. Sihyun responded almost immediately with “I can’t wait to see you!”

Minhyun wanted to be nice and reply to him, but Aron started a conversation and distracted him from replying. Minhyun figured it was a deliberate attempt at keeping him from replying to Sihyun, but he went along with it anyway.

When the conversation died down, Minhyun went back to his phone, and Aron started another conversation.

Minhyun laughed as he put his phone to the side, “if you don’t want me to talk to him, just say so,” Minhyun said, crossing his arms.

“Fine.  I don’t want you talk to him,” Aron said, “I’m a very jealous person when it comes to you, as you can see.”

“I don’t know whether to find that flattering or annoying,” Minhyun said in amusement, putting his phone away just to humor him.

“When you meet him, we’ll get the gas and then leave, okay? Just give him the money and then say we’re in a hurry to go. Don’t accept if he invites you to coffee or something, okay?”

“This is ridiculous Aron,” Minhyun laughed, “but okay. Whatever you say.”

They arrived at the gas station, and when they did, they found the Sihyun was waiting for them.

“Hi Minhyun!” Sihyun said with a smile when he greeted him, “it’s nice seeing you again!”

“Hello,” Minhyun replied. He handed Sihyun the money he owed, bowing graciously.

Sihyun didn’t take it. He just shook his head and folded Minhyun’s fingers over the money, “I don’t want it. Take it as a gift.”

“I can’t do that,” Minhyun insisted, taking Sihyun’s hand and forcing him to take the money, “you gave me a lot of money and saved us from a lot of trouble. You deserve more than what I’m giving you right now. So take it!”

Sihyun accepted it putting it in his pocket, “Are you guys in a hurry?” Sihyun asked Minhyun as he started filling their car with gas.

“Yeah, we really have to get to Seoul in time for an hour or two of rest. Tomorrow we’re going to face a lot of crap from everyone.”

“I see the car isn’t in the best condition,” Sihyun pointed at the part of the car that was bent form Aron running into a pole.

“We ran into a pole,” Minhyun explained, laughing nervously.

“Don’t worry, it can be repaired,” Sihyun said reassuringly.

At this point, the tank of the car was full, and Sihyun went to remove the gas pump. Minhyun paid the due amount, and tried to think of a way to nicely end the conversation between them so he can get back into the car.

Just as Minhyun was about to say something, Sihyun quickly requested, “can I have five minutes of your time please? Just five minutes. Can we just walk around for five minutes? I probably won’t ever see you again after this so I really want this.”

Minhyun couldn’t deny Sihyun that sincere request. He knew Aron was watching him with piercing eyes, and he knew that Aron probably disapproved of this completely, but he couldn’t say no. Minhyun nodded slightly, and said to Aron through the window that he’d be back in five minutes.

Minhyun began to walk with Sihyun around the spacious gas station.

It was like 2AM, the only sources of light being the lampposts stationed around the area.

“Minhyun, your friend Aron seems a little cold to be honest,” Sihyun admitted.

“He’s not like that usually,” Minhyun reaffirmed. “He’s just tired and cranky right now.”

“I wanted to be away from him because I have a bizarre request for you and I don’t want him to hear,” Sihyun said.

“What is it?” Minhyun smiled.

“Would you… let me kiss you?” Sihyun said, stopping midway in his tracks and facing Minhyun.

Minhyun blinked. He’d always found it hard to say no to people, especially to people like Sihyun who are kind and lovely. He knew that he had to deny Sihyun that request, and not just because he was uncomfortable with it. He struggled to find the right words to say, words that Sihyun wouldn’t take to heart.

“Sihyun-ah… I’m dating someone,” Minhyun said. This time, it wasn’t a lie.

“That’s why you don’t have to kiss me back…” Sihyun shrugged, his hand on the back of his neck shyly.

“But…”

“Just a small peck. Please? I just really want to kiss you.”

Minhyun hated that he slightly considered saying yes. He wasn’t supposed to. He was dating Aron for crying out loud, and even with Aron, things like kisses were not happening. How could he possibly let it happen with Sihyun?

Sihyun seemed to notice Minhyun’s hesitation, and so he didn’t wait for an answer. He put his hands on Minhyun’s shoulder and leaned in to kiss him.

Minhyun immediately turned his head and removed Sihyun’s hands from his shoulder, “I can’t let you. I’m sorry,” Minhyun said regretfully.

“That’s okay,” Sihyun said, “she’s really lucky. Whatever her name is.”

Minhyun hummed nervously in response.

“What is her name?” Sihyun asked curiously.

“Umm…” Minhyun gulped and hesitated again.

“I understand,” Sihyun said before Minhyun could make up a name, “you don’t have to say anything.”

Minhyun fell silent. Why did Sihyun have to make everything so awkward…

“I’m sorry,” Sihyun apologized, “I tend to be very forward with the boys I like that don’t end up being homophobes. I’ve done it before, by the way. Most of them lie and say they have girlfriends or something…”

“I’m not lying,” Minhyun told Sihyun, “I really am dating someone.”

“Then why did you hesitate with her name?”

“Because it’s not a her,” Minhyun blurted. He didn’t really know what he was doing, but he didn’t want Sihyun to think he was lying.

Sihyun raised an eyebrow.

“I’m dating Aron,” Minhyun admitted. He felt stupid for what he had just done.  He just exposed a taboo relationship to someone who was practically a stranger, someone who could easily post something online and ruin his career.

Sihyun froze. He then burst out laughing, making Minhyun feel self-concious.

“I am so sorry,” Sihyun said in between his laughing, “I would have never guessed!”

Minhyun felt awkward and exposed all of the sudden as the realization hit him that Sihyun was the first person alive to know of his relationship with Aron.

“No wonder Aron is so cold towards me! Oh my god. I’m such an idiot!” Sihyun said shaking his head.

“Don’t tell anyone!” Minhyun begged.

“Don’t worry about it,” Sihyun reassured with a smile, “let’s walk back, then. Your boyfriend is waiting for you,” Sihyun winked.

Minhyun blushed. It was so weird for Aron to be referred to as his boyfriend, but somehow it didn’t sound so bad.

“How long have you guys been dating?” Sihyun asked as they walked back.

“Not long at all,” Minhyun answered.

“So you haven’t fully embraced the relationship yet I’m guessing,” Sihyun said with a smirk.

“I guess,” Minhyun replied.

“Well… if you need any tips about how to please him ually and stuff, you have my number,” Sihyun said winking, “I’m quite an expert.”

Minhyun tried to keep a straight face as he nodded.

“Sorry for being so forward,” Sihyun apologized again when he saw that Minhyun was flustered.

Just then, Aron honked the horn.

“Looks like Romeo misses his Juliet,” Sihyun laughed, walking more quickly.

They both stopped when they were a few feet away from the car.

“It was really nice getting to know you,” Minhyun said to Sihyun.

“You too,” Sihyun said, “you too. I’m glad you forgot your wallet.”

Minhyun laughed. Sihyun glanced in Aron’s direction and smiled. “Lucky bastard,” Sihyun joked, “let him know that he’s lucky.”

“I will,” Minhyun promised.

“Well, I guess this is goodbye.”

Sihyun hugged Minhyun, and Minhyun hugged him back despite the fact he was aware of Aron’s piercing eyes behind him watching.

“A little jealousy never hurt,” Sihyun whispered in Minhyun’s ear, and then pulled away from the hug. He waved at Minhyun as Minhyun got inside the car.

Wordlessly, Aron began to drive.

A few seconds later, Minhyun received a text from Sihyun. I was serious by the way. If you need any tips, just ask!

Minhyun stared at the text for a moment as he considered whether or not he should reply or just ignore it.

“ tips?” Aron asked, and it was only then that Minhyun realized Aron was looking at his phone.

Minhyun turned his phone around quickly, “I can explain!” Minhyun said nervously.

“I’m listening,” Aron said.

“I told him that me and you were together and then he said he’d give me tips about how to please you ually out of no where!” Minhyun explained quickly.

Aron opened his mouth to say something and then shook his head, “I’m just not going to say anything,” Aron decided.

“I know what you’re thinking,” Minhyun said guiltily. “I was an idiot for telling him we were dating. I don’t know what came over me…”

“You’re wrong,” Aron said, “that’s not what I was thinking. I was actually thinking maybe I don’t hate this Sihyun as much as I thought I did…”

“Hyung!!!” Minhyun yelled, embarrassed.

Aron laughed, “I’m kidding. I swear I’m kidding.”

“You better be,” Minhyun mumbled as he blushed.