Chapter 2

Sweet & Sour (Hiatus)

Beep!

Beep!

Beep!

Smack!

Why the hell did I ever set this alarm clock up?

Donghae's body ached all over. Yesterday had really tired out his body. He felt out of it too because he didn't receive much sleep. He knew Henry probably wasn't awake yet so he took the responsibility to go and wake him up. Slowly, but steadily, Donghae lifted his sore body up and off the bed. With his eye still shut closed, he exited his room. Or at least he tried to.

Bonk!

"Owww..."

Donghae had forgotten that this wasn't his old room. He finally pried open his eyes and realized that the door was on the other side of the wall.

"Damn..." He said, his voice hoarse.

He awkwardly rubbed his head and headed towards Henry's room. Gently opening the door, he peaked in to check if the 14 year old teen was awake. Most likely not.

"Heeeeeenry... Wake up." Donghae was feeling a bit more awake, so he began to nudge Henry. Henry moaned as a sign to show that he was lucid.

"Get ready. School starts in a hour." And with that, he left the room. Donghae grabbed the school uniform his mother gave to him yesterday and got dressed. Just as he was going to the bathroom, Henry came out walking like a zombie. "Uuuugh." the younger boy groaned. "What's wrong with you?" Although Donghae already knew, he didn't want Henry to know that he caught him crying himself to sleep. It would embarrass Henry.

"Just tired..." Henry managed to mumble out. Donghae shrugged, pretending not to care and continued with getting ready for school.

                                                                                         ***

As soon as they finished eating breakfast, they both head out and into their mom's car, where their mom had also been waiting for them. Henry dreaded every second of the car ride. He wanted to jump out the car and roll all the way back to Mokpo, but he was smarter than to kill himself doing so.

"I don't want to go to school." Henry whined. 

"You don't exactly have a choice, honey." Their mom said. 

"Why?" Henry challenged. 

"Because if you want to succeed in life, you need to have a good education."

"Even musicians go to school. Just cheer up, Henry." Donghae chimed in. 

Henry pouted, but he never said anything else. 

It all just seemed like seconds, but the car finally stopped in front of a massive school building. There in the front read a sign that said "Welcome to Seoul High School." The brothers gaped at how tall the school was and how efficient it looked.

Honk!

The boys turned around and saw their mother honking the car horn. "Hurry up and go inside!" The boys quickly walked in and a fresh smell of mint and wood hit them. They quickly searched for the office - which wasn't too hard to find - and asked the office lady for their schedules.

"I guess this is where we split up." Henry said nervously.

"Yeah. Good luck," Donghae gave his brother a quick hug and ruffled his brother's hair, "The senior classes are on the opposite side of the building from where the freshmens are. Sooo, see you around?" With one last unsure look if they should bail out of school or not, they waved to each other, and headed separate ways.

                                                                                         ***

There were still a few students lingering in the hallway, but majority of the students were already in their classes. Donghae kept on switching back and forth from the school map to the corridors he was walking in. Having trouble finding his first class he grew worried that he was going to be late. Suddenly, he heard lots of footsteps, but they sounded like they were all coming from one person. Assuming that the student was just going to pass him, he continued to walk casually. However, the student accidentally crashed into him and they both fell.

"Oof!"

"Gaah! Sorry!" The boy who just crashed into him quickly got up and saw the paper Donghae had dropped.

"A map of the school? Are you a new student here?" Donghae nodded as he brushed himself off.

"Do you need help finding your class?"

Donghae nodded again, feeling embarrassed that be just fell flat on the ground, despite barely anyone seeing him though. He pulled out his class schedules and showed it to the young boy who looked about his age. The boy had short, black hair and single eye-lids. His features were sharp and Donghae couldn't help but notice those full lips the boy had.

"Wow, we have the same 1st period. Our schedules are almost exactly alike except for a two period difference," Donghae awkwardly scratched the nape of his neck, still waiting for the guy to show him his period.

"Follow me, or we'll be late." The boy gestured Donghae with a smile and started walking down the corridor. Obediently, Donghae followed and the boy started talking. For someone who's going to be late, he sure didn't seem like he was in a hurry. 

"How long has it been since you've moved here?"

"A day."

"Really? What house? Do you know your address? The neighborhood around this school isn't very vast, I pretty much know every street."

Donghae didn't know his home address or remember what the outside of his house looked like that clearly but he knew the color and a few details at least.

"It's a dark green house with circle shaped windows and-"

"Two maple trees in your front yard?"

"How did-"

"I live right across the street from that house. I guess that was you who was helping with unloading the truck. What a coincidence, we're classmates and neighbors." The strange boy kept on smiling. He seemed friendly, and oddly enough, Donghae felt comfortable in his presence for some reason.

"Here we are." They both entered the class and the teacher didn't look too happy.

"You're late." The teacher said in a serious tone.

"Sorry, I was helping this guy get to class."

"Ah, yes. Class, we have a new student today. Please introduce yourself, young man."

Donghae stood in front of a body of eyes. It wasn't nerve wrecking, but he wasn't too enthusiastic about it either.

"Hello, my name is Lee Donghae. It's a pleasure to meet you all." Donghae bowed politely and he spotted an empty seat next to the boy he had crashed into earlier.

"Excellent, I am Mr. Park. It's a pleasure to meet you too. Please have a seat next to Lee Hyukjae, he is the student to the right of the empty seat you see right there." Donghae quietly sat down and tried not to think too much about the boy sitting right next to him. Lee Hyukjae was his name, and they were neighbors apparently.

I guess I'm gonna see this guy quite often.

Donghae wondered if he could already consider Hyukjae to be his friend, despite only having one conversation. But it seemed to fast to call someone he just met his friend. He wasn't quite sure, but thinking about friendship was making him confused. Donghae just cleared his mind and focused on whatever the teacher was teaching about. Before he knew it, class was already over and everyone began to pack. A shadow hovered over Donghae's desk and it waited there. He looked up and saw Hyukjae, who smiled at him. Donghae looked back at him with a blank expression. Hyukjae was waiting for Donghae so that he could show him his next period, the younger really appreciated it since the school was like a maze.

"When's lunch? Donghae asked.

"In one hour and thirty minutes. If you're wondering, freshmen and sophomores have lunch together and juniors and seniors have lunch together." Donghae's heart sank when he realized that he wasn't going to be able to see his brother. Hyukjae noticed the frown on the latter's face.

"I'm sure you'll make lots of friends. No need to look so sad."

"Thanks."

                                                                                             ***

Every class was easy except for math which Donghae didn't exactly excel at. Donghae and Hyukjae hung out at lunch and Hyukjae even introduced Donghae to a few of his good friends. Donghae still didn't know why Hyukjae was so talkative around someone he had just met. Was it normal to talk this much to a stranger? They barely knew each other and Hyukjae wasn't acting awkward one bit. At his old school, Donghae didn't exactly have many friends, he didn't really try to make any, but for some reason, Hyukjae keeps sticking to him and showing him around. Maybe it's because I'm new, and he'll stop hanging out with me once he gets bored of me. Donghae didn't actually want that to happen for some reason, he felt a bit sad about it in fact, but that was usually what happened back in his former schools. School flew by quick and Donghae couldn't wait to reunite with Henry. Just as the bell finished ringing, Donghae was out searching for his brother.

"Donghae!" Donghae turned around expecting to see his precious little brother, Henry. Instead he saw Hyukjae running towards him. "You looking for someone?"

"My little brother. Have you seen him? He's about 5' 7", small eyes, a slightly fatter nose than me, plump lips, and looks really adorable and innocent."

Two hands suddenly wrapped around Donghae's waist which startled him. "Who are you to call someone adorable and innocent?" It was Henry.

"Huh? Oh, no one." Donghae awkwardly said. Henry shrugged and noticed Hyukjae.

"Who's he?" Henry asked referring to Hyukjae. 

"Nice to meet you, I'm Lee Hyukjae." The older greeted the younger nicely with a bow.

"I'm Lee Henry, I'm this Fish's little brother." Henry returned the bow and Hyukjae chuckled. Donghae blushed from the embarrassing nickname 'Fish.'

"Are you guys getting picked up or taking the bus?"

Henry and Donghae both froze knowing that their mother was still at work and they had no idea where they lived.

Crap! They both said in their heads. "I guess we're walking." Henry said with a sigh. 

"Wanna walk with me?" Hyukjae asked, "I mean I do live right across the street from you guys. Plus it's not that far. It’s about a 20-25 minute walk or so."

Ooooooooooh yeeaaaaaaaaah. Donghae said in his head, recalling the memory.

"Seriously?" Henry grabbed both the seniors’ arms ended up being in between them. "Let's head back together then!" The little mochi chirped, but somehow, something seemed off about Henry. 

"Sure, but wrong way though." Hyukjae pointed in the correct direction they were supposed to be heading. Embarrassed, Henry just said "Oops." and laughed it off. Yup, something was off. The smile looked force. Scratch that, his entire face looked forced. The entire walk home, Henry kept on asking Hyukjae questions about him and answered a few that Hyukjae asked. Donghae even joined in from time to time while enjoying his silent presence. However, one question caught both Henry and Donghae's attention.

"How's your Appa?"

"..."

"..."

"S-sorry, I didn't mean to ask a question that would make you guys uncomfortable..."

"It's okay..." Henry said, sounding a little bit depressed. His eyes wouldn't look up. 

"Henry, we're home. Let's go," Donghae said coldly while grabbing his little brother's arm. Donghae stopped in his pace and looked back. "Thanks for showing me around today." Donghae's eyes met Hyukjae's eyes for a second but he then looked away. Hyukjae silently waved at the brothers and went back to his house across the street. Something about that question triggered an unhappy mood, and Hyukjae was curious to know why. 

Damn it. Way to go Hyukjae. 

A few minutes later, Donghae and Henry were in their rooms, which were side by side to each other. A lovely, sad noise then started to play. It was haunting yet beautiful, and it came from Henry's violin.

"Henry!! Stop making me even sadder!" Donghae shouted from the other side of the wall.

"But I feel really sad right now and I don't know what to do!"

"Read a damn book about unicorns and lollipops or something! Stop making me think about him!!"

"This was his favorite song!! Did you know that!?"

"Just stop playing that music! You can play twinkle, twinkle little star for all I care!"

"Ooooooooookay!!! Would that make you feel better?!"

"Sure!!"

Henry began to play the tune of the nursery rhyme, but Donghae kept on thinking about 'him' the entire night. And he never found out what made Henry force his expressions. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Yeeeeeah, the ending was a bit random, but I hope you liked it! A bit slow in this too, but I'll try to pick up the pace and there will be some encounters and events coming up! Thank you~