Chapter 17

Sweet & Sour (Hiatus)

Donghae slouched back in his chair and groaned. He had been sitting at his desk and staring at his homework for ages and he was finishing each problem at an agonizingly slow pace because of his ‘bored out of his mind’ state and didn’t feel like working anymore.

Hyukjae, who was over at Donghae’s house for another tutor session, noticed his boyfriend’s dejected mood. “If you’re tired, we can take a break if you’d like.”

Donghae rested his head on the table, unable to bear the slouching position any longer. His head felt heavy and he wanted to escape from all his work and just go outside and play, but he knew well enough that Hyukjae wasn’t going to let him.

“Is something wrong?” Hyukjae asked.

“Nothing.”

“I’m not stupid, there’s obviously something going on in your mind.”

Donghae liked how Hyukjae was always concerned about him. He loved the attention he received and he loved the affection even more. Whenever he was brooding about his worries, Hyukjae would always see right through his facial expressions. The older couldn’t read his thoughts, but he would know that something was wrong in an instant. And this time, he was able to see right through the younger once again. Donghae sighed.

“It’s just that… It’s been three weeks ever since I’ve ask you about finding a job and I still can’t find one. I never knew it would be this difficult to get employed…”

“I’m sure one will come around soon enough, just keep looking.” Hyukjae encouraged, but Donghae didn’t look very optimistic. His frown stayed glued to his face and his eyebrows were slightly scrunched together. His face was far too serious from what Hyukjae was used to, so he decided to sooth it by planting a small kiss on his forehead.

“Hey, cheer up. Stop making such a serious expression.”

“My bad.” Donghae’s gaze dropped.

Hyukjae decided to change the topic by bringing up an upcoming special occasion. “By the way, isn’t Henry’s birthday tomorrow?”

“Yeah it is, why?”

“Are we going to celebrate it?”

Donghae noticed Hyukjae said ‘we’. He felt touched to know that Hyukjae wanted to be involved with his family. His mother had found out not too long ago – because of a certain little somebody *cough* Henry *cough* – about their relationship together and to his surprise, she absolutely loved it. She found their relationship cute and even suggested them to go on dates. Hyukjae was very grateful for her support. He even gave her massages and helped her cook a few times to show his thankfulness, but he knew that his concern now should be directed to his own family’s acceptance now that they’ve gained Donghae’s family approval.

“Of course we’re going to celebrate it. If we don’t, Henry would probably be upset. He says every birthday makes him feel older, and he likes that for some reason.”

“Maybe it’s because you treat him like a baby almost all the time.”

“Could be.” Donghae shrugged.

“What did your family do for him last year?” Hyukjae curiously wondered.

“We took him to the zoo and then we had cake.”

“And the year before that?”

“We took him to the zoo and had cake.”

“And the year before that one?”

“We took him to the zoo and still had some cake.”

“Did you guys bring him to the zoo every year?”

“Yup, pretty much.”

“Let me guess, you went to the zoo and had some cake for your birthdays, too?”

“I stopped celebrating my birthday when I was 12, but yes, I did get to go to the zoo, but only once to celebrate. My parents didn’t have time to celebrate two birthdays in the same month.” His voice sounded like he didn’t care. But his expression begged to differ.

“Oh, yeah, your birthday is just four days after Henry’s.”

Donghae nodded. Hyukjae smiled and Donghae could tell that Hyukjae to planning something in his mind. He didn’t bother to ask since he already had a pretty good guess on what it was about.

“So, what should we do for Henry’s birthday this year?” Donghae uttered, keeping the topic on track. Hyukjae shrugged and they both contemplated ideas until Hyukjae suddenly stood up from excitement.

“I got it!”

“What?”

“Amber told me that there was going to be a music festival where she would be DJ-ing at, this Saturday. And guess what? That’s tomorrow! We can take Henry there. I bet he’d love it.”

“Great! Then let’s do it.”

“One thing though… We need tickets.”

“How much do they cost?”

“I think she said it was $150 per ticket.”

“$150?!? That’s $450 for three people! How are we going to afford it? I barely have any money and you quite your part time job before school started. We’re brokeback teens, Hyukjae.”

“Relax. I’ve got a few plans in my head.”

Donghae gave Hyukjae a dubious glance. “It better not be anything illegal.”

“Of course it’s not illegal! I wouldn’t do something like that.”

“Alright… I have faith in you. But do you need any help?”

“Nah, I got it. Finish your homework alright, Fishy? I gotta get started on getting the tickets. See you, ‘kay?”

“Yeah, see you.”

Hyukjae leaned in and gave Donghae a soft kiss, but Donghae cupped Hyukjae’s cheeks and held the kiss longer until he finally felt like separating. Their foreheads touched and their eyes made contact.

“Thank you.” Donghae murmured. “This is really kind of you.  If you need any help with getting those tickets, don’t hesitate to ask me, alright?”

Hyukjae’s face grinned and entwined his fingers with Donghae’s hands. “Alright.”


Hyukjae fell backwards onto his bed and reached for his cellphone. He looked for Amber’s contact number in his phone and speed dialed her, waiting for her to pick up. He didn’t really have any ‘brilliant’ ideas to get the tickets since he didn’t have much money like Donghae had stated, but he figured that he’d just give Amber a call and hopefully she would have spare tickets she’d be willing to offer for free. 

 “Hello?” Amber answered.

“Hey, Amber. It’s me, Hyukjae, you’re friend.”

“You don’t say?” Amber mocked.

“Screw you.” Hyukjae teased.

“Alright, then I’m gonna hang up.”

“No!” Hyukjae cried.

Him and Amber had a close relationship, but in a weird way. It wasn’t like Heechul or Kyuhyun’s love-hate relationship where it was mainly just a joke, but more like a sister and brother one. As an only child, Hyukjae was quite lonely at times, but he had friends like Sungmin or Amber to keep him from feeling depressed about his lonesome-self. They were his closest friends he had. Back when he had first moved to Seoul, they were the first students to greet and welcome him. Ever since then, they’ve gone through a lot together.

 “It’s going to be Henry’s birthday tomorrow,” He explained. “and you mentioned something about a music festival on Saturday. So, I was wondering if you could maybe spare a few tickets for your Oppa, Hyukjae. Please?”

Hyukjae chanted ‘please have some spare tickets’ in his mind repetitively. It started to get annoying after a few second, but he crossed his fingers hoping that she’d be in a generous mood today.

“Sorry.” She said. His heart immediately dropped. He honestly didn’t want to pay $450 for 3 tickets, but if he had no other options, he’d do it secretly without his boyfriend knowing. “I’ve already given away my last few tickets to somebody else already. If you’d have just asked a few days earlier, I would’ve given them to you.”

Hyukjae clenched his fist. Damn it. He though. He scolded himself for not asking her sooner, but it’s not like he could do anything about it. He still was not willing to accept defeat, though. “Who did you give those last few tickets to?”

“Your cousin.”

“Kyuhyun?”

“No, Heechul.”

“Why would Heechul ask for music festival tickets? He barely even listens to music!”

“Beats me.” Amber shrugged, which Hyukjae couldn’t see. “He came to me asking for 6 tickets. I think he’s planning to invite people, but I’m not-”

Click.

“Hello? Hello?” Hearing no reply, Amber checked the screen of her phone. Hyukjae had hung up on her without saying anything and that pissed her off.

“Aish!” She screamed.


Hyukjae pushed the conversation with Amber to the back of his head and had a new objective to deal with: Ask Heechul for some tickets. Judging from his relationship with the elder, he knew it wasn’t going to be easy to acquire them. He thought of humiliating punishments he’d had to suffer through to please his cousin. One does not easily amuse this diva we speak of.

After anxiously tapping his fingers on the car’s steering wheel, Hyukjae started the car, drove his way to Heechul’s house, and pulled up smoothly onto the drive way.

“It’s okay, Hyukjae. You can do this. Maybe he’s in a good mood today. You never know.” Hyukjae suddenly gulped. ‘You never know.’ That phrase destroyed a bit of his confidence, but it was true. That man was unpredictable. You wouldn’t know if he was sane or if he was day dreaming. His eccentric personality makes him unreadable, but Hangeng has some sort of magical power that allowed him to tolerate everything about Heechul, certainly an amazing man.

Finally, Hyukjae had exited the car and dared to ring the doorbell with his life maybe at stake. He waited a few moments, mentally preparing himself for whatever may pop up. It’s not like there was going to be a killer or monster behind the door, but there were a few things that Heechul does that made him uncomfortable.

The door was opened with caution. A sleepy, Heechul was there to greet the poor, shocked Monkey. Hyukjae was never used to his cousin’s and he never will be. Heechul’s swaying member dangled loosely and his house smelled of . Hangeng was definitely over since the scent was still fresh. Yes, Hyukjae was able to differentiate the smells of , because he was related to BOTH Kyuhyun and Heechul. Kyuhyun was more conservative and discreet, but that never stop the smell of ‘doing it’ from overflowing throughout the house.

“Oh, Hyukjae… You’re here…” Heechul yawned. “Don’t mind me, I just woke up, so I look like a mess. What do you want?”

“Umm? Hyung, can you please put on some clothes?” Hyukjae asked politely.

Heechul lifted his eyebrows. “Speaking formally I see. What is it that you want? Money? Food?”

“Tickets. Music Festival tickets.” Hyukjae deadpanned. Heechul smirked and invited his cousin in. The younger reluctantly entered and found that the smell became stronger as he went deeper into the house.

Sitting on the couch with his legs crossed and his arms spread, Heechul analyzed Hyukjae’s cautious face.

“How many tickets? One? Two?”

“I need three.”                               

“For whom I may ask?”

“Donghae’s little brother, Donghae, and me.”

“Why?”

“It’s going to be Donghae’s little brother’s birthday tomorrow. I want to bring him and his brother to celebrate it there.”

“Hmmm… Just three?”

Hyukjae nodded. Heechul pressed his lips together and sighed. With a sly smirk, he grabbed Hyukjae’s wrist and pulled him towards the couch and onto his lap. Caught off guard, the younger ended up straddling over the , sticky bottom half of the elder, face to face. Even though it was sudden, Hyukjae managed to remain calm. He was used to the intimate skinship and knowing that it was probably best to go with the flow, he made no changes to their position.

“You see,” Heechul began. “I have six tickets. And I’ve already invited my friends. They seemed pretty stoked to be going and it’d break my heart to tell them off all of a sudden. You understand my situation so far?”

“I do. But I really need those three tickets. Please, you know how much I love and respect you, right?”

Heechul frowned.

“C’mon, Hyung. We’re cousins. Isn’t there some sort of way I can persuade you into telling three friends off?”

This time, Heechul gave it some thought. He tilted his head sideways and d Hyukjae’s .

“You can have a with me and Hangeng.”

“Hell no.”

“Well it was worth a try. Give me a ?”

“Okay, let me just tell you this straight. I have a boyfriend. I can’t do anything dirty with you.”

“Ehhh? That’s a shame.” Heechul pouted. 

“Get over it you ert, it’s not like I ever did those things with you to begin with.”

“Hey, watch your tone, Monkey. I can still reject you and never give you those tickets.”

“No! Please. I’ll do anything. Just make it appropriate.” Hyukjae could feel himself getting desperate. He really wanted to get the tickets. For Henry. For Donghae.

“Hmmm…” Heechul thought. “How about you be my little servant for a week? You have to do everything I say and you can’t object? How does that sound?”

As much as Hyukjae wanted to say ‘No’ it didn’t sound too bad to serve his cousin for a week. But then again, he might be wrong. 

“Nothing dirty or naughty,’kay?”

“I'll try not to make my orders too dirty.”

Biting his lip hard, Hyukjae gave in. “Fine.” As he said that an idea suddenly popped into his find. “Actually, make it four tickets.”

“Don’t push it.” Heechul growled. “That’s one more living soul I have to tell off.”

“But that leaves two tickets for just you and Hangeng to go to the Music Festival. Wouldn’t it be more romantic with just the two of you alone?”

Nodding his head, Heechul kinda agreed.

“I guess so. But I’m not entirely sure about it. Convince me some more, servant.” Heechul teased.

“Pleeeeeease.” Hyukjae begged. He then leaned in close and whispered seductively into Heechul’s ear. “Master.”

 

Hmmm... I wonder how Heechul will treat Hyukjae as his "Master"~ *sigh* the things Hyukjae does for Donghae. He really loves him, hehe ^_^ Thank you~