Silence

The Lovely Bones of Henry Lau

December 9’Th, 3:00 pm

Silence

It rang throughout the dorm, surrounding everything and everyone. The endless silence was unbearable. It suffocated the occupants of the dorm, ringing in their ears, filling them with dread, and draining them of hope. Slowly the lights began to leave their eyes, along with the last of their sanity. No one spoke. No one dared too. The only sounds for days now were the soft sobs that occasionally floated from one of the rooms.

Eventually it got to the point where the members needed to get away, to escape from it all, and that’s exactly what they did.  Eunhyuk moved up to the 12’Th floor and busied himself at the studio, endlessly practicing the days away with Donghae. Sungmin, Kyuhyun, and Yesung were no better, only returning to the dorm way after midnight; after they had spent the entire day practising songs they knew by heart.

Eventually everyone left.

Everyone but Ryeowook.

He didn’t have the energy, nor the will to do so.

The once bright and smiling male was now a shell of his former self. No longer did he emit a warm, vibrant aura, but instead that one of grief and depression. He could rarely be seen leaving the confines of his room. He was only ever spotted when he made short trips to the bathroom or the kitchen for a glass of water. The young male rarely ate at all anymore, and it showed.

The effects of not eating properly and lack of sleep had slowly, but surely, caught up with him. His face was hollowed and sunken. Black bags could easily be spotted under blood shot eyes, caused by the endless amount of tears he had shed.

Eventually it got to the point where his Hyungs began to worry. They tried everything to make him forget about Henry’s disappearance, even just for a bit. All their efforts however, were in vain. Nothing seemed to be able to snap Ryeowook out of his spiraling depression.

It was as if he had given up.

And maybe he had.

“Wookie, we’re just heading down to the studio to practise for a bit, we’ll be back in a few hours.”

Ryeowook didn’t need to look up to know it had been Sungmin who had spoken. He just nodded, his eyes never leaving the spot on his bedroom roof; the same spot he had been staring at for hours. The silence droned on until eventually the sound of the front door slamming shut echoed throughout the dorm.

Once again, he was left alone.

The wind blew.

The trees rustled

And still he didn’t move.

Despite what his Hyung’s believed, Ryeowook wasn’t totally oblivious to the fact that he was harming himself by not eating, or by refusing to interact with anyone. He knew his hyungs were worried, and he was grateful for their attempts to cheer him up.  He just didn’t understand how easily they could forget about the young Canadian, when every time Ryeowook closed his eyes, he was plagued with nightmares of the young Canadian; nightmares of Henry being tortured, nightmares of Henry dying, nightmares of Henry screaming his name, begging his Hyungs to save him.

As foolish as it sounds, he just didn’t have it in himself to smile or be happy at the moment; At least not until they had Henry safely back in their arms.

It had been four days since Henry had gone missing.

Four days.

Four excruciatingly painful days.

And despite the efforts of the police, they were still no closer to finding Henry than they had been in the beginning.

They still had no idea who had taken Henry or why they had taken him in the first place. The only thing they were certain of, was that as time droned on, the hope they had managed to hold onto, that slim chance that maybe Henry was alive, was slowly disappearing.

And it killed Ryeowook inside.

Just the thought that Henry might not make it out of this alive.

Just the thought that they may never see the lively Canadian again.

Just the very idea that Henry, who was like a little brother to not only Ryeowook and Super Junior, but too everyone in SM, may in fact be dead….

They kept on denying it, pushing those thoughts to the back of their heads as best they could, but as each day continued passing and no progress was made, their hearts began to grow weary, and the dread that had filled them ever since the phone call was becoming unbearable.

It had only been four days.                                                                                     

Yet to Ryeowook,

It felt like it had been months.

Why?

Why did it have to be Henry?

Ryeowook would have taken Henry’s place any day. As long as it meant no harm came to the young Canadian.

It wasn’t fair.

It wasn’t fair that Henry, who had never intentionally harmed anyone in his life, had been taken.

It wasn’t fair that they were all sitting at the dorms, unable to help in even the slightest.

It wasn’t fair, that they were all perfectly alive and healthy, well Henry was God knows where suffering.

None of it was fair.

It was impossible to stop the tears that streamed down his face, or the sobs that racked his body. He couldn’t help it as all the emotions he had pent up inside of him for days now came rushing out.

He didn’t know how long he had laid there sobbing, but the next thing he knew someone had placed a hand on his shoulder. Immediatly he bolted upright whipping around to face whoever had touched him.

He visibly relaxed when he realised it was only Yesung.

“Wookie...” Yesung whispered, once again reaching his hand out and placing it gently on Ryeowook’s shoulder, only for it to be shrugged off almost immediately.

“Go away…” Ryeowook muttered, laying back down in bed and turning away from Yesung.

“Ryeowook…please, talk to me,” Yesung pressed, not moving from where he sat on the edge of the bed.

The only response he got from the smaller male was silence.

“Why don’t you come and watch a movie with everyone?” Yesung continued, hoping he could convince the younger to leave the confines of his room. Sadly though, he was once again met only by a dull silence. Sighing, he scrunched his eyebrows together with frustration. “I know you miss Henry, we all do, but laying here in bed all day and refusing to interact with anyone isn’t going to help him. Henry wouldn’t want this.”

Ryeowook sat up almost immediatly, nearly knocking him off the bed. Yesung stepped back as the younger male rose to his feet, a burning fire in his eyes.

“How would you know?” Ryeowook spat, venom lacing his words.

“W-What?” Yesung stammered, confused at the sudden anger that the younger was emitting.

“How would you know what Henry would have wanted?” Ryeowook growled, eyes narrowed. “As far as I know, you barely ever said a word to Henry, and now you’re trying to tell me what he would want?!”

Yesung took a step back, shocked.  “That’s not what I meant. You’re blowing this whole thing out of proportion.  Can’t you see you’re harming yourself? You can’t continue doing this to your body!”

“Why shouldn’t I? How is it fair that Henry is God knows where suffering, and here we are perfectly healthy?” Ryeowook snapped back.

“Henry is dead!” Yesung shouted before he could stop himself. “Are you really that naive to believe he could still be alive? You heard the phone call; we all did! You heard his screams. How long are you going to keep pretending he’s alive when you know as well as I do that there is no way he could survive after being tortured like....like that. Henry isn’t coming back and the sooner you realise that, the better.”

Ryeowook flinched back, as if he had been slapped. Tears welled up in his eyes and he didn’t even try to stop them. “How dare you,” He whispered, voice barely above a whisper.

Yesung froze, realising what a huge mistake he had just made. “Wookie-“

He was cut off by Ryeowook, who now had tears streaming silently down his face. “Get out,” He glared at the older male, choking back sobs. How could Yesung so easily give up hope on the Canadian? Was Ryeowook really the only one who stilled believed Henry was alive? No…he couldn’t be…could he?

Yesung was just about to leave the room when the door burst open, causing him to jump back to avoid being hit. In the doorway stood Sungmin, who had his hands on his knees. His breath came out in short pants. “Ph-phone call *Pant* le-leaked *Pant* n-news *Pant* now.”

Both Ryeowook and Yesung froze as they comprehended Sungmin’s broken words. As realization dawned on them, both of them rushed into the living room where once again they were met with the last words they had heard from the young Canadian.

“There you have it folks. Henry Lau, was officially been reported missing 3 days ago. So far the police have not recovered any leads and are searching-“

Yesung was no longer listening, already whipping out his phone to call the other members.

“Yes, Leeteuk speaking,”

It was no surprise that the leader picked up almost immediately. He had kept his phone on him or near him at all times lately, anxiously hoping for word from the police.

“Hyung….the phone call with Henry… it was leaked. It’s all over the news right now.” Yesung drew the phone away from his ear as the sound of curses and something breaking sounded from the other line.



A/N

This is one of those chapters that you imagine really really well in yuor head, but no matter how many times you re-write it, it just doesn't come out the way you want it to. I still hope you enjoyed it though. I re-wrote it probably like 10 times no joke, and am still not completely satisfied with it. Oh well, I felt I should stop delaying this story.

I will be updating more often after exams are over. This quarter was pretty hectic, especailyl Japanese and Socail. My next update will probably be in a week, and after that I'll try to update every week.

Please comment and give me your opinions on the story so far.