The Call

The Lovely Bones of Henry Lau

Previously

“Hyung, its only 9:30, relax a bit,” Kyuhyun muttered.

 “I’m just worried...”Leeteuk trailed off, sending another weary glance at the clock.

“Henry’s not a child Hyung,” Kyuhyun replied, shaking his head. “He can take care of himself.”

Leeteuk shot Kyuhyun another glare, before settling back in his seat. Maybe Kyuhyun was right and he just needed to have a bit more faith in s.

Despite this, Leeteuk still couldn’t shake off the sinking feeling in the pit of his stomach.

 

Currently

December 5’Th, 10:00 pm

It was ten and Henry had yet to arrive home.

Leeteuk frowned, but forced himself to stay seated. It was possible Henry could just be running a bit late after all.

Maybe he had called a cab and gotten stuck in traffic.

Yeah that must be it.

He had just got stuck in traffic and any minute now he would rush through the door apologizing.

December 5’Th, 10:30 pm

By 10:30 Henry was still not home.

Leeteuk stood pacing around the living room, his hands clenched at his sides and his eyebrows furrowed with worry. It was unlike the youngest to ever be late, especially half an hour late.  For as long as he had known the Canadian, not once could Leeteuk ever remember him showing up late...for anything. If Henry said he would meet you at a certain time, you could bet your he would be there.

Even though Kyuhyun still continued to roll his eyes, the maknae couldn’t help but also feel apprehension at the Canadian’s absence. Maybe Leeteuk was right and something had happened.

Despite either’s worries, they could do nothing but wait for some sign from the youngest.

December 5’Th, 10:45 pm

By 10:45 Leeteuk was practically going out of his mind with worry, because Henry had still not returned. By now the rest of Super Junior sat scattered around the living room, each person as worried as the next. Leeteuk had started up his erratic pacing and beside’s the occasionally whispered word, the only sound that resonated through the dorm was Leeteuk’s muffled voice as he mumbled various things to himself under his breath.

The minutes ticked by with still no sign from the young Canadian.

By now a strong feeling of dread filled the hearts of all the members.

They all knew that something was definitely wrong, terribly wrong. It was no longer a question of when the Canadian would be back, only about what had happened to prevent him from returning.

“Hyung...” Donghae spoke up from his seat beside the couch, only to be cut off by Leeteuk’s incisive mumbling.

“Something must have happened? Why hasn’t he called? Maybe his phone broke?”

“Hyung,” Donghae repeated, still getting no response from the leader who continued his pacing. Finally at the end of his wits, Donghae decided to raise his voice. “HYUNG!”

Everyone in the room froze and turned to stare at Donghae, who felt a blush rising to his cheeks at the attention he was receiving from everyone. Leeteuk stood with his hands on his hips.

 “What?” He demanded.

“Maybe we should call the police?” Donghae suggested, a few others in the room found themselves nodding in agreement. “After all, something must have happened; It’s not like Henry to be this late...” Donghae trailed off, staring at his hands as he nervously twiddled his thumbs.

“What exactly are you suggesting happened?” Leeteuk pursed his lips together, his eyes narrowing as he glared at the brunette.

“Hyung, Donghae-hyung is right, for all we know Henry could be hurt or worse he could have been kidna-“

“Cho Kyuhyun don’t you dare finish that sentence. Henry was not kidna-“The last part of his sentence was drowned out as the ringing of a phone caused everyone to jump at the sudden noise.

Leeteuk was the first to recover, his hands instantly diving into his pockets as he fished out his cell phone. He eyes widened as Henry’s name flashed across the screen. He made motions with his hands for everyone to be quiet, before pressing Talk and putting the phone on speaker.

“Leeteuk speaking,” The leader decided to make sure it was Henry calling. After all, if something had happened to the youngest, it could be a stranger calling him to inform him that Henry had been injured, or worse...

A second later, a small, whispered voice floated through the receiver, causing Leeteuk’s eyes to go wide.

“Hyung?”

He didn’t know what came over him, but the next thing he knew, he was shouting into the phone as all the emotions he had pent up for the last hour tumbled out. “Henry? Where the hell have you been? Do you know how worried I’ve been? “

He was met by silence on the other line. Guilt suddenly bubbled up in his chest and he was about to apologize, when seconds later sobs floated through on the other line. He froze.

“Henry.....are you crying?” Immediately his guilt doubled. He hadn’t meant to be that hard on the Canadian, he had just been so worried that something bad had happened, and then Henry had finally called, perfectly alive and healthy... he had just kind of exploded.

“Hyung, I’m scared,” Henry’s voice broke through Leeteuk’s thoughts. The leader’s eyebrows scrunched together in confusion.

“What are you talking about? Where are you?” He asked, trying to pry some information out of the other. Concern grew in his stomach as Henry’s sobs continued to echo through the receiver.

Something must have happened to cause the young Canadian such grief.

What though?

In all the years Leeteuk had known Henry, never once could he remember the Canadian crying. Even after he had spent years being criticized, tormented and terrorized by Only13’ers, the Canadian still refused to shed tears, dealing with everything with a smile on his face as he told his Hyungs he was fine.

So what had changed?

“I don’t know.....Hyung, it’s cold...” Henry’s tired voice spoke up on the other side of the phone. He sounded exhausted, not to mention terrified. Leeteuk felt his throat clog up. One of his team members was alone and scared and there was nothing he could do about it. Some leader he made, huh?

“Hyung, he’s coming!” Henry’s whispered yell caused Leeteuk to nearly jump out of his skin.

“Who’s coming? Henry?!” Leeteuk panicked, finally regaining the ability to speak.

“I don’t know Hyung!”

What did Henry mean, ‘He didn’t know?’. Leeteuk felt his fear for the youngest return tenfold has Henry’s sobs started up again. What was he supposed to do? Despite his years as a trainee with SM, nothing could have ever prepared him for a situation like this.

“I don’t want to die,” Henry suddenly whispered, causing Leeteuk’s heart to nearly shatter at how vulnerable the Canadian sounded. He was supposed to be the leader, always there for everyone, the one with all the answers. So why did he feel so absolutely useless?

Leeteuk let out a breath he hadn’t even realised he had been holding. He needed to push his emotions to the side and find out what was going on. “Henry! You need to tell me where you are! Who’s after you?”

Once again, silence floated through the phone.

“Henry?” Leeteuk questioned, glancing at the phone to make sure their call hadn’t been disconnected. “What’s going on?”

“Get away from me!” Henry’s shout nearly gave Leeteuk a heart attack. “Stop! Please!”

“Henry?! Henry what’s happening! Henry answer me!” Leeteuk shouted, tears gathering at the corners of his eyes.  “Henry!”

A scream suddenly pierced through his shouts, which only caused Leeteuk to actually burst into tears as more screams followed.

“Henry? Goddamnit answer me!” He yelled shrilly, voice breaking as sobs racked his body. It felt like hours before the screams faded away and he was once again met with silence.  He brought the phone back to his ear, his hand trembling.

“Henry are you still there?” He whispered, willing his voice not to crack as he held back his tears. “Henry?” No one in the room spoke as the leader continued trembling, desperately calling out the Canadian’s name; shouting, screaming and begging for Henry to answer him.

A loud beeping suddenly filled the room and Leeteuk drew the phone away from his ear and stared at it, eye’s wide, with tears still streaming down his face.

The called had been ended.

His last link to Henry had been cut off and despite being the so called ‘leader’, there was not one thing he could do about it except stand frozen to the spot. The next thing he knew his legs gave way and the ground rushed to meet him as he collapsed, the world around him slowly fading to black.

....

Call Ended 11:01 pm

...