Footsteps

The Lovely Bones of Henry Lau

December 9’Th, 4:00 pm

The sun shone dutifully across the vast, winter sky. A chilling breeze blew through the air; causing bare tree branches to sway with the steady rhythm of the wind. Silence echoed from the vacant treetops, the ultimate sign of winter.

Rhythmic footsteps sounded above the wind. The crunching sounds of shoe on snow signalling the presence of someone heading down the tree lined path. The footsteps were accompanied by a steady breathing, on the verge of becoming a steady panting.

Kyuhyun paused his jogging (Something he rarely ever did), slowing down to a brisk walk.  He was dressed in a casual pair of grey sweatpants and a plain grey hoodie which was drawn up to shield his face from the bitter air. Each breath he took caused a puff of cold air to form in front of him.

Everyday since Henry’s disappearance, save for a few rare occasions, he would head down to the park by the dorms, at around 4:00 pm. Something about the silence of the park helped to calm him down and clear his head.

He paused when he reached the end of the path. Across the street stood a large school, currently shut down until the school board could fix the busted water pipes that had cracked due to the harsh chill of winter.  He didn’t know what compelled him to cross the street, but before he knew it, he was entering the school gates.

He began to make his way towards the back of the school and wasn't surprised to find the school grounds empty. Overall the grounds were fairly nice. Everything was covered in a fine blanket of freshly fallen, glistening snow. Kyuhyun would never actually admit it but the scene took his breath away. As a small breeze blew by he shivered and drew his hoodie tighter around him, effectively keeping out the cold. Something didn’t feel right. Even now, it felt as if he was being watched. Deciding he should make this quick he continued on his way towards the back.

 It was eerily quiet. The only sound was the gentle breeze of the wind, which had picked up a bit and was now blowing the snow around in gentle waves. Kyuhyun just stood there contentedly, when suddenly the sound of a twig snapping reached his ears.

His head shot up and he spun around in the direction the sound had come from. He was surprised to find the path behind him just as empty as it had been when he had entered. However, upon closer inspection he eyes caught sight of a new pair of footprints in the snow behind his. It didn’t take long for him to make up his mind and follow the prints that led him farther behind the school, towards another, smaller building built right beside the school.

Kyuhyun began making his way towards what he assumed was a shed the school used to store extra supplies. One of the large double doors was slightly ajar. Each step that took him closer to the shed caused the foreboding feeling he had to grow.  However, just as he got close enough to carefully peak inside, his cellphone went off. The loud, unexpected sound caused him to flinch in shock and surprise. Reaching a hand into his pocket he drew out his phone, quickly flipping it open and pressing the device to his ear.

“Hello?” He asked, now completely having forgotten about the shed.

 “Kyuhyun?” The voice on the other line sounded hesitant.

“Changmin? What is it?” Kyuhyun raised his eyebrows in surprise. It wasn’t his friend to be hesitant.

“I…I’m so sorry.”

If Kyuhyun wasn’t confused before, he sure as hell was now. “Why?” He questioned, when suddenly a thought came to him. “Yah! You didn’t break my computer did you?”

“No…..I saw the news,” What was Changmin talking about? The news? “I just wanted to say you have my condolences with what happened to Henry and all. I know it must be hard on you and…”

Kyuhyun was no longer listening as he began tp piece together what had happened.

The News….

Henry….

‘, it must have been leaked!’

Shaking his head, he brought himself back to reality and realised the person on the other side of the phone had gone quiet.

“Changmin?” He questioned.

“Yeah?” Once he had confirmation the person was still on the line he sighed.

“I’m sorry, but I have to go, I’ll call you later.” Shutting his phone, he slipped it back into his pocket, and after one last glance at the shed, took off back towards the dorm.



A/N

Sorry for the short chapter, but since my week of Spring Break has started, I'll be updating a lot more often~

I was actually really, really pleased with how this chapter came out, so I hope you enjoyed it. I'm planning to start speeding up the plot, so don't worry, more will be revealed soon.

Please leave a comment and tell me what you thought.