The Sixth Meeting

When Coincidence Becomes Fate

Sungmin sighed as he unlocked the door to his apartment.

 

Day one, thirteen "confessions".

 

It slightly bothered him that he had to reject every single one of them, because Sungmin wasn't the type to let down others.

But then again, Sungmin also wasn't the type to settle on mediocre relationships.

Nor relationships that started because of an attraction to his outward appearances.

Sometimes, Sungmin even wished he looked.... well, not like what he looked like now. Because as hard as he tries to stay invisible and blend in with the crowd, there always seems to be some kind of neon light that points at him whereever he goes.

He's tried wearing sweatpants. Oversized t-shirts. Heck, he even tried hiding his face under an oversized beanie.

None of that worked.

He's slightly aware of the rumour regarding him and his unwillingness to date. Well, Sungmin's tried to not place attention to himself, but in the end the girls manage to seek him out anyway. 

And some guys.

The majority of them he rejects, mostly because of the fact that he knows nothing about the other at all. And he doubted the other person knew much about him, apart from "how good his looked", he's been told on several occasions.

Damn his .

The few people he's said yes to were due to him being either too soft-hearted to reject (that very timid girl who looked like she was going to faint if he said no, and he didn't know how to deal with fainting girls), some people who he's talked to a few occasions in lectures (and he'd feel awkward if he said no, especially if said person was in his group during group projects), or ones that threatened to follow him home if he said no (Sungmin shudders at the memory). There were only a couple that he said yes to because he felt a slight something back.

But none of these relationships lasted.

Sungmin was a very upfront person. He believed in tackling things now, rather than later. Like peeling a band-aid fast and getting the pain over with, instead of slowly and enduring small amounts of pain over a long period of time.

So he broke up with those he's dated as soon as he knows he feels nothing for that person.

Which, if he remembers correctly, is an average of a couple weeks. A month, if they're lucky. People he "dated" to get out of awkward situations lasted no longer than a first date.

It didn't use to be like this. Sungmin bit his bottom lip as he settled on his couch with a cup of hot chocolate, remembering his first relationship, the one and only long relationship he's had.

 

Kangin.

 

It started out great. He was in his senior year of high school, and has always had his eye on the sturdy man. Being slightly shy in these areas, Sungmin never plucked up the courage to ask the other man out, and was understandably ecstatic when the other finally asked him on a date.

He thought their relationship was near perfect. Kangin made Sungmin feel happy and complete, and at one point in time, he even had to ask himself whether he was beginning to fall in love.

He was mistaken.

Yes, Kangin was caring, manly, kind, patient-- things Sungmin believe are a necessity in any potential boyfriend.

And Kangin was like that... up until half a year into their relationship.

That was when he discovered alcohol.

Sungmin tried to endure it, convincing himself this was just a phase and Kangin would revert back into his old self.

But the caring Kangin became empowering, he used his manliness to assert dominance, and the kindness and patience that had drawn Sungmin to Kangin in the first place became short-tempered outbursts and a near constant stream of cursing, most of which were directed towards the doe-eyed man.

The breaking point came one night, when Sungmin had been called by a bartender to send Kangin home. Sungmin tried to gently tug Kangin to help him stand up, but was flung to the ground by a punch to his lower jaw. 

The bruising didn't go away for days. 

Once sobered up, Kangin tried to apologise like he always did, but this time Sungmin had had enough. He broke it off with Kangin then and there, and avoided his advances for the rest of the year.

Kangin is why Sungmin vowed never to drink any alcohol.

Kangin is why Sungmin moved to Seoul to attend university.

Kangin is why Sungmin finds it so hard to trust anyone again... because appearances can change once you get comfortable with someone. That was a lesson Sungmin learned the hard way.

Sungmin knows he's lucky, though, to be able to escape-- had he stayed with Kangin, believed his comforting words... who knows how trapped he would be now.

And the fish Donghae he calls his best friend isn't half bad, either. Donghae is childish most of the time, but the dorky man has nothing hidden beneath. And that's what made Sungmin feel grateful to the other. 

Then there's Siwon and Hangeng. Both of them helped Sungmin to trust again, although he is still wary when anything borders beyond a platonic relationship. 

Which explains why none of his relationships have ever lasted since.

Not only because he doesn't feel attracted to anyone who's approached him, but also because he's afraid to open up with anyone besides his three closest friends.

Sungmin's thoughts drifted back to his last confession of the day.

The girl had been pretty, and Sungmin, as always, felt bad rejecting her-- but he knows it's the right thing to do, rather than stringing her along. 

Besides, he was running late to a meeting. So he didn't really lie, either.

 

His thoughts then shifted to the brunette boy who dropped his wallet. Sungmin smiled when he remembered the dazed look on the taller man's face; how can anyone be daydreaming so much as to be oblivious to dropping their own wallet-- from their own hand, no less?

The fact that the other couldn't even form a coherent sentence after nearly made Sungmin laugh, too.

Sungmin shook his head.

 

What a strange kid.

 

***

 

The first couple weeks of university passed in a blur for Kyuhyun. 

Assignments, deadlines, workshops all melted into each other and Kyuhyun was sure his head was more jumbled up than a scrambled egg. Not seeing Sungmin also made him relieved, but equally disappointed.

 

"Kyuhyun!"

Hyukjae abruptly brought the burnette out of his reverie.

Kyuhyun eyed the skinny man wearily. "Yeah?"

"As I have asked you twice already but obviously you're either deaf or thinking too much about lover boy--"

"What lover boy?!"

"You know full well which handsome specimen I mean. He's the only explanation for your out-of-it behaviour lately." Hyukjae rolled his eyes as if to say duh.

"He's right, kid." Heechul drawled. "We've seen your lovesick face everyday for the past week, and it ain't pretty."

"I do not look lovesick--"

"Yeah, whatever. Anyway, free for dinner tonight? Heard there's a good cheap restaurant nearby and we all need a break from study."

"Take back what you said about me looking lovesick first!"

Hyukjae smiled his gummy smile.

"I'll take that as a yes."

Heechul cackled.

 

***

 

The restaurant was exactly how Hyukjae had described it. 

Cheap, yet good. 

As Kyuhyun trailed behind his two friends to a seat, he heard his stomach grumble at the enticing aroma. He could definitely do with a good meal.

After scanning the menu, the three friends were quick to decide what to order. They were just discussing (arguing, however, would be a more accurate description) about whether Heechul really needed to get two drinks when a melodious view interrupted them.

"Hi, are you guys ready to order?"

All three heads snapped up at the sound.

Heechul had to kick Hyukjae to stop him sniggering at an awestruck Kyuhyun.

"S-- Sungmin..." Kyuhyun managed to stutter out after two long seconds.

Sungmin looked confused for a few seconds, before his eyes lit up.

"Oh I remember-- you're the one who dropped your wallet, right?"

Kyuhyun could only nod dumbly.

"Sorry about my mute friend," Heechul decided to end this torture so that all of them could actually eat before the restaurant closed. "I'm Heechul, and I insist on having two drinks, regardless of what these two dorks say." 

Sungmin laughed. "You must be starving."

"Damn right."

After Sungmin wrote down Heechul's order, he turned to Hyukjae.

"Hey, name's Hyukjae. Most people just call me Eunhyuk, though. Must be tiring, working on Friday night."

Sungmin nodded. "It is, but the pay's good and I need the money. You caught us at a good time, usually there's a thirty minute wait for seats."

Hyukjae proceeded with his order and thanked the other.

"And you?"

Sungmin's face turned to Kyuhyun and in that brief instant, Kyuhyun forgot how to open his mouth.

Heechul was tempted to kick the brunette in the balls. This is a golden opportunity, but the younger could only sit and stare at Sungmin like he's some kind of freaking angel, instead of actually utilising his mouth for something useful. Like talking.

"This dork," Heechul emphasised, "is Kyuhyun. Don't know what's happened with his mouth but it appears to be superglued shut."

Hyukjae nodded and let out an evil smirk as an idea suddenly popped into his head. 

"Yeah, Kyuhyun's always been in his own world lately, dreaming about a certain lov--"

"I'd-like-to-have-the-chicken-pasta-please-and-a-coke." Kyuhyun managed to cut off Hyukjae, sending the most intimidating look he could muster. 

Aha. It worked. Hyukjae sniggered quietly.

"No problem, I'll be back shortly with your food, it shouldn't take too long." Sungmin smiled and bowed slightly before hurrying off to the kitchen.

 

As soon as he was out of earshot, Heechul leaned across the table, his face dangerously close to Kyuhyun's.

"What, in the 's name was that." 

"Not surprising, though." Hyukjae quipped.

"Shut up." 

"Well, what the  happened then? Where's your the snark you're usually so goddamn proud of? What the fu--"

"If you could stop swearing for a second, Heech--"

"I can say whatever the  I want after your amazing performance we all just witnessed." Heechul crossed his arms and glared at Kyuhyun. "That was honestly such a good chance, the perfect setup to oh, I don't know, say your name properly, but god forbid, little lover boy here is too admiring the man's face." 

Heechul ran a hand through his hair and sighed. He cared for Kyuhyun of course, and wanted to see this thing he has for Sungmin work, but sometimes the brunette was infruriating. 

"He's right, Kyuhyun." Hyukjae muttered quietly, although his eyes were softer towards the taller. "If you really want this to go anywhere, you need to give it a decent try. Things gotta start somewhere, and tonight could've been that start. You can't expect Sungmin to pick up on your infatua-- liking towards him. Let's just hope he comes around again and try to hold a conversation that doesn't just involve staring, okay?" 

Kyuhyun nodded. Since when did Hyukjae sound like an actual eighteen year old?

Kyuhyun glanced around the restaurant. There were many tables, and all were full, with some waiting near the reception to be seated. Sungmin wasn't lying when he said they were lucky to get seats. 

It also meant the chances of Sungmin, and not some other waiter, serving them was very slim. 

Yet again, Kyuhyun bumped into Sungmin but left with nothing. 

It was close to driving him insane.

 

 

-------------------------

Have I mentioned how I love Heechul? Sometimes his straight-fowardedness can annoy some people, but I find it refreshing.

Also, Hyukjae/Eunhyuk's charisma is really something. The boy was born to entertain.

Anyway, hope you guys enjoyed yet another chapter! Don't worry if you feel sorry for shy!Kyuhyun, it'll definitely get better for him soon.

Comments are appreciated :D