The Fifth Meeting

When Coincidence Becomes Fate

To say Kyuhyun didn't recognise Sungmin would be an understatement.

Although the last time Kyuhyun had seen Sungmin (albeit from a distance) was just after graduation, it seems the summer and a closer proximity has somehow made Sungmin look like some impossibly perfect ... being who just stepped off the pages of some magazine.

Not saying Sungmin ever looked bad, of course. It's just that the same Sungmin in front of his eyes right now is....

Wow.

That seems to be the only word Kyuhyun's brain is capable of formulating.

 

"Oi. Kyuhyun. Kyuhyun." Hyukjae's snap of his fingers in front of the younger's eyes brought him back to reality.

"Yeah, what." Kyuhyun's voice was slightly raspy from the long time he had his mouth open, merely from gazing at the other.

"I think you should stop staring. You're almost as bad those girls over there. Worse than Heechul, even." 

"Yah!" Heechul tore his gaze from Sungmin too and gave Hyukjae a deathly glare. 

"Wow..." Kyuhyun thought out loud.

"Yeah, we get it. Half the freaking university gets it. The guy is a walking perfection." Hyukjae rolled his eyes, not accustomed to seeing the younger behave this way. "But give him up. The unspoken rule is stare, but don't touch. He'll only end up rejecting you, or worse, break up with you and I'll be the one left picking up the pieces."

"But Sungmin..."

Hyukjae turned and narrowed his eyes. 

"How do you know him?"

"Don't laugh, but he tripped and dropped ice cream on my shirt, and we ended up spending a whole afternoon together."

Hyukjae widened his eyes. 

"Dude! When was this? How come I never heard about it? You do realise he's the biggest catch ever--"

"It was when I was a kid, okay? I was five!" Kyuhyun huffed out.

Hyukjae stopped.

Then failed miserably to hold back a laugh.

"Kyuhyun, oh my dear dongsaeng." Heechul drawled. "You do realise you're 18 now? Or have the thirteen years in between not registered in that brain of yours?"

"Yeah I get it! He probably doesn't remember anything about me." Kyuhyun snapped out, trying to stop his face from turning an attractive red. "Now drop it and let's go to our lecture!"

Hyukjae slung an arm around Kyuhyun as the three friends made their way to their first class of the year.

"Well, at least you talked to him once." 

Hyukjae narrowly missed a pinch to his arm. 

 

***

 

The lecture hall was packed.

It wasn't ever planned, but somehow all three of them had ended up choosing commerce as their degree.

Being their first lecture, it has been decided for their lecturer to skim over the year's contents, and a third year student to give them a little run through of what to expect in later years.

Kyuhyun zoned out of their lecturer's voice after the first ten minutes. He tried, he really did, but somehow he was exhausted and the lecturer's monotonous voice wasn't helping at all. Kyuhyun hoped the future lectures, being more content rich, meant he wouldn't be prone to drifting off. 

The brunette vaguely heard something about budgeting being in their mid semester test and the lecturer's office hours when a sharp prod to his waist jerked him out of his reverie.

"Hyukjae, what the fuc--"

 

His curse froze halfway to his lips.

Because Sungmin was now standing in front of them, calmly gazing back behind the podium. 

Kyuhyun didn't know if it was his mind playing tricks on him, but suddenly the lecture hall became hushed, and people were sitting straighter and becoming attentive.

"Hi everyone," Sungmin started, and the fine melodious voice seemed to cast a spell on the whole room.

"I'm Sungmin, and in my third year doing a commerce and psychology conjoint. I've been told to give you guys some tips on how to survive this year, and what you can expect should you continue with commerce." 

The elder glanced briefly at his notes, and gave the slightest flick of his fringe as he straightened up again.

Kyuhyun swore he heard the girl sitting next to him audibly moan.

"Well, first things first I guess. We all know lectures are recorded in the commerce department, and I'm gonna warn you not to fall into the skip class, listen later trap. Because believe me, I did, and I'd be lying if I said I got good grades." 

A small ripple of laughter emanated around the room.

Sungmin gave a brief smile.

Kyuhyun was awed.

"Also, the only microwaves we have on campus that don't always have a long line is in Womenspace. So be very nice to those female friends of yours if you want your food heated within five minutes." 

The atmosphere was relaxed. Everyone was entranced by Lee Sungmin.

 

Sungmin gave the first years some more advice on their freshman year, then proceeded on talking about his stage two papers and what he's intending to do in stage three. The importance of internships. The need to enrol early to get the best time slots. Kyuhyun found out Sungmin was majoring in international trade.

"So, I hope you guys found my talk helped a bit and didn't bore you to sleep." Sungmin concluded and gave a slight bow.

The room exploded in applause.

"Where can I find you if I need more advice?" a guy shouted as the applause died down.

"We've got Uni Guides around the place, and they can pair you up with buddies whom I'm sure will be more adequate than I'll be." Sungmin smiled again and proceeded to walk off the stage.

 

**

 

Kyuhyun wanted nothing more than to sleep after a long day. He'd bid goodbye to his two friends who took a different bus (and Kyuhyun was glad, otherwise the constant chatter would do nothing for his exhaustion) and was on his way across the campus to get to his own bus stop when a girl's voice stopped him in his tracks. 

"Sungmin, could I please talk to you for a minute?"

Curious, Kyuhyun retreated and sneaked a peak behind the wall which concealed a secluded corner of the campus surrounded by trees. A girl with large eyes and shiny black hair that fell halfway down her back was gazing up at no other than Lee Sungmin. Kyuhyun mentally noted that Hyukjae would probably trip over his own feet to get this girl's number.

"Yes...?" Sungmin's voice was wary, and quite expectant.

"Well um, I heard that you don't have a girlfriend at the moment, and I would love to get the chance to --"

"I'm sorry, but I'm really not looking to date right now." Sungmin's quiet but smooth voice interrupted. 

"But-- but just one date! Is that too much to ask?" the girl had a pleading tone, deserpate to not let this chance slip through her fingers.

"Sorry, but no. I'm flattered, but if you could excuse me, I've got a meeting I have to attend to."

With a slight bow of his head, Sungmin walked past the girl back towards the main path, and Kyuhyun hurriedly turned from his hiding spot in case the elder walked past him. He could hear the girl choke back a sob before running in the opposite direction.

It was only the first day, but Kyuhyun had already heard his first rejection from Sungmin.

So he guessed the rumours were true. 

As Kyuhyun slowly continued walking, he was so deep in thought that he didn't notice his wallet had dropped from his grasp. 

A second later, his heart nearly stopped when he heard a smooth voice directly beside him.

"Hey, you dropped your wallet." 

Kyuhyun's head snapped up and he found himself gazing into the doe eyes he had witnessed only a few moments ago.

"Um--uh--I---"

"Here." the other man chuckled before bending down and retrieving the wallet a few steps down. He handed the wallet back to Kyuhyun before adding, "Be careful with your belongings when you daydream, okay."

"I-- no, thanks--"

"You're welcome." Sungmin laughed at the other's inability to form a coherent sentence. "See you around." With a final nod, Sungmin continued back up the path. 

Kyuhyun stood with his mouth gaping.

His first proper interaction with Sungmin, and he acted like a complete and utter idiot.

An idiot who couldn't even say one sentence properly.

Kyuhyun had one of those rare moments where he wished Hyukjae or Heechul was there to pinch him. 

 

****

 

Dazed and mentally punching himself, Kyuhyun rode the bus home.

He still regretted not talking to the other more. It's just that his mouth didn't seem to want to function when that face came up, so close to his.

But he couldn't help but let out a small smile at the thought of the last sentence Sungmin uttered-- the only thing that made him happy about bumping into the shorter man. 

Somehow, those three words meant a lot to him. 

 

See you around.

 

 

 

-----------------------

I seem to be on a roll :D No angst definitely means it's easier to write-- hence the fast-ish updates! 

Writing in Kyuhyun's perspective definitely feels different, but I'll be dropping into Sungmin's too, so we get a bit of background about him and see what he's up to ^^

Comments appreciated! :D

Also, looking for anyone who is generous enough to make a poster for this fic. Drop me a comment and I'll get back to you within 24 hours :)