The Fourth Meeting

When Coincidence Becomes Fate

They say your first day of university ultimately determines whether you love or hate the place.

Kyuhyun stood opposite the campus, and stared at the various buildings and footpaths which wound deep into the surrounding shrubbery. 

Well, this will be his second home for the next three years. 

 

"I can't believe you only have to stay here for three years! Do you know how blessed you are to have that brain of yours?"

As if reading his mind, Hyukjae came up from behind and rested an arm on Kyuhyun's shoulder.

The taller grunted and tried to shrug it off, to no avail; the grip just became tighter.

"And I can't believe you convinced me to dye my hair brunette. I swear half the people I passed stared at this." Kyuhyun tugged at his dark brown curls. Yes, he had the slightest curls in his hair. How? Well, take a guess. 

"But darling, they make you look hot." Heechul joined the two and slapped Kyuhyun's as a way of greeting. "And at least Hyukjae was kind enough to give you brunette and not make you a blond like him."

Kyuhyun growled.

How he became stuck with these two freaks, he had no idea. 

He just knows he's going to regret it. Someday.

"Ah look at that one! 3 o'clock, quick!" Heechul gushed at a tall, slightly tanned student walking towards the entrance. He was laughing and speaking a foreign language with a taller friend.

"Foreign, I like it." Heechul's eyes were still glued to the guy.

"For god's sake, Heechul, wipe your drool off." Kyuhyun rolled his eyes and started making his way in. Being new students, they had orientation in the morning, before their first classes for the year.

Hyukjae smiled, showing pink gums. "Yeah, let's go, I want to get a head start at getting numbers today."

Kyuhyun had the urge to slap someone as he sighed at his girl crazy friend. And in the case of Heechul, boy crazy.

He followed the crowd inside, and prepared himself for a long day.

 

***

 

"Well... Hey. I'm Kyuhyun, 18, here to study commerce. Probably majoring in accounting..."

Hyukjae sniggered quietly next to him, earning him a glare from the other.

 

When Kyuhyun had first seen "orientation" written in big bold letters in his introductory booklet, he thought of it as being nothing more than a quick tour of the school, an introduction to the support services staff, a question and answer time perhaps. 

Little did he know, "orientation" apprently included meeting new people.

Not that Kyuhyun minded that of course, but he didn't give off the best (or, as Heechul puts it, coolest) first impression. This is one of the few traits Kyuhyun seemed to lack in, but somehow Hyukjae happened to excel at.

And somehow, it was just his luck that the random group he was put in contained Hyukjae as well.

 

"Yo. Hyukjae. You can call me Eunhyuk though." the slim man smirked. "Doing commerce too, although you guys probably won't catch me studying too much-- until exams, that is." 

Hyukjae smiled easily around the group and Kyuhyun sighed inwardly. He could already see the girls prodding each other, trying to be subtle. 

 

Three.

Two.

On--

"Eunhyuk, what time do you have these classes?" 

"Eunhyuk, I don't live around here, mind showing me around sometime?"

"Eunhyuk--"

Girls started talking at once, and Kyuhyun spared a glance at the other unfortunate guys sitting around the group, all of whom were either looking dejected or cursing under their breath.

Kyuhyun didn't mind that Hyukjae was more of a social being than he will ever be-- heck, it kept things interesting and meant the two avoided heated arguments in situations like these. Not that it meant they didn't ever have clashes of ego, though; that still occurred pretty often.

 

The brunette traced his eyes lazily across the lightly buzzing campus, wondering how the next three years of his life would be, spent here on this very campus.

He hopes he keeps his together and obtains the grades needed to maintain his scholarship.

He hopes Heechul won't have dated every homoual (wait, make that homoual and willing) guy within the first year, then complain of being bored after.

He hopes Hyukjae won't break more hearts and be on the receiving end of too many slaps.

And he hopes....

He hopes he will have the most memorable time here. Preferably good, but memorable above everything else. 

Kyuhyun's lips form a slight smile.

But his biggest hope of all...

Is to somehow find love.

 

***

 

"Hyukjae, do we seriously have to join ten thousand clubs?"

The said man ignored the other's groans of complaint and continued dragging him through the crowded quad.

"Yeah, Hyukjae, I agree with Kyuhyun-- the sun's on fire and who knows what kind of damage that will expose to my hair--"

"Kyuhyun, quit . Heechul, we might see your Mr. Tanned and Handsome around here."

Heechul immediately shut up.

Kyuhyun just gave up trying to argue.

"Hey look, there's a Dessert Club, that'll definitely keep us happy." 

Hyukjae made a beeline for the stall, Kyuhyun and Heechul in tow. After they'd provided their details, Hyukjae was finally convinced it was lunch time and the three walked across the grassy field to the main dining area. 

They'd barely walked a few steps, however, when a collection of inhumane shrieks halted them in their tracks. 

Kyuhyun looked to the right where the screaming came from, and saw a rather impressively-sized group of first year girls (they were first years, Kyuhyun could tell, because they had that same "freshie" aura like he knew he did).

"It's him!" 

"Oh my god..."

"I can't believe we're seeing him on the very first day!"

"Are the rumours true?"

"I knew I should've worn makeup today!"

 

Kyuhyun squinted against the sun to get a better look at the lone figure making its way to some lecture halls across the field. The man was slim, but sturdily built, and was wearing a lightly pattered charcoal t-shirt with the slightest v-neck, further accentuating the man's well-defined chest. His dark jeans fitted against the man's legs perfectly-- loose enough to move around in, but tight in all the right places. The lightly worn navy chucks completed the casual, but oh-so-perfect look. 

Kyuhyun moved his eyes up and almost gasped.

Pillowy M-shaped lips rested against a smooth complexion, and doe eyes were incased in eyelashes mascara companies could only dream to replicate. A small, sharp nose with the slightest upturn at the end made the man's face look masculine, but equally adorable. Hair the darkest shade of brown framed the ears, with a side fringe that grazed just below his eyebrows. 

In short, this man could claim to be a model and no one would question him twice.

 

Hyukjae followed the brunette's gaze and smirked knowingly.

"Oh-- that guy, heard he's notorius for rejecting almost everyone who asked him out. And believe me, that number's not small; something in the early hundreds. It was always either rejection or short relationships. Even I envy him." Hyukjae said, craning his head for a closer look.

"I don't care what he is. That man is god. A walking god." Heechul breathed, practically salivating at the sight.

"And get this," Hyukjae lowered his voice and bent his head towards the other two. "Rumour has it that he swings both ways, but prefers guys." Hyukjae's gummy smile never looked happier.

"What's it to you? Your goes for chicks anyway!" Kyuhyun was brought out of his trance enough to scoff at the blond.

"Appearances can deceive, my dear." Hyukjae waggled his eyebrows and laughed at Kyuhyun's open mouth.

But Kyuhyun's open mouth wasn't due to surprise at this new information.

It was because he just saw something that made him question its validity.

As the mysteriously handsome man made his way across the field, a friend caught up with him and what Kyuhyun witnessed next nearly made him choke on his own spit.

And it wasn't because the man's friend was equally as good looking.

It was because he caught the smile the man gave to his friend.

And if what he saw was right...

Well, heck.

 

Kyuhyun just saw Sungmin.

 

 

 

 

 

-----------------

Well, here you go guys :D

I promised this fic would be less angsty and it's starting out quite mellow so that's a good sign. 

By the way, "first year" = freshman year. I just refer to it weird because I'm from New Zealand :P

Anyway, hope this update satisfied that Kyumin thirst (future updates will be at least this length or longer).

Comments appreciated :)