The First Meeting

When Coincidence Becomes Fate

"Lee Sungmin!" a woman dressed in a lightly patterned dress ran over to the sandpit. 

"I'm sorry! I'm really sorry! It was an accident..." The boy called Lee Sungmin was apologising to another boy of similar age, with dark coloured hair framing his face. 

The other boy looked down at his shirt, now adorned with rapidly melting strawberry ice cream. Mickey Mouse seemed to be crying pink tears. 

"I tripped-- I didn't see the edge of the sandpit--" 

"Aish, Sungmin." the woman tutted before finally reaching the pair, and hurriedly got a tissue from her handbag. "I'm sorry, dear, my son never watches where he's going." she says, kneeling down to try rid the boy of the pink puddle on his shirt. "Where are your parents? Let's get you an ice cream too." 

"What about me?" Sungmin held up his empty cone, his attention now solely focussed on the promise of another icy treat.

"As for you, you don't get anything, young man." Mrs. Lee smiled. 

Sungmin pouted-- a pout he had perfected during his seven years of life. 

"Now, dear, what is your name?" she looked at the other boy, who has yet to speak a word.

"Kyu." The other boy looked down, embarrassed. He hasn't quite managed to say his full name yet.

"Okay, Kyu, why don't we go find your parents and then we can all get another ice cream?"

Sungmin brightened up at that. 

"All of us?"

Mrs. Lee chuckled. "I spoil you way too much, Sungmin."

Sungmin grabbed the other boy's hand as they ran all the way to the ice cream shop. 

The afternoon passed with laughter and ice cream dripping onto the sidewalk. And when it was time to go, Sungmin gave the other boy the biggest smile, albeit missing a front tooth. The five year old was mesmerised.

 

 

Many years have passed since then, but the other boy never forgot that smile.

 

 

------------------------------------------------------------------

I just had to write this story down. This will definitely contain less angst though.  Maybe I'll keep it relatively short...?

Short intro chapter.

See you at the next update! 

Comments appreciated :D