The Eighth Meeting

When Coincidence Becomes Fate
"Hey, need help?" the voice came again.
 
Kyuhyun turned slowly, and was greeted with Sungmin's face in a black bartender's shirt and fitted black pants.
 
"Yeah, actually, do you happen to have taxi numbers handy?"
 
Unlike the previous times he'd met Sungmin, this time Kyuhyun was beyond caring about how he came across to the other man. He was tired, annoyed at Hyukjae's drool threatening to spill onto his shoulder, tired, had a slightly pounding head, and yeah, just plain tired and wanting to go to bed as soon as humanely possible.
 
Although tiredness didn't prevent from noticing just how amazing Sungmin looked in his bartender uniform; cocktail shakers in his hands, shirt sleeves rolled up to reveal lean forearms, a small purple cloth slung over one shoulder.
 
"Sure do. Hang on, I'll be with you in a second. My shift is finished, anyway."
 
If Kyuhyun had the excess energy, he would glare at the gaggle of skimpily-dressed women gathered around Sungmin's section of the bar counter, protesting upon hearing the other's shift is over.
 
The brunette shuffled closer to the bar and sat, plunking Hyukjae to a seat next to him. The blond was so gone he just settled his head on the counter and continued sleeping. 
 
As Sungmin poured the last drink order, Kyuhyun cast his eyes over how the muscles in the elder's forearm tensed slightly, and the other's concentrated gaze as salt was neatly rimmed around the edges of the cocktail glass. 
 
Damn. How can a single person look so good.
 
 
"Hey." Sungmin came over after he'd handed the drink over. "Your friend looks like he's a goner."
 
"You got that right. And now I have to get us home while making sure he doesn't throw up anywhere but in our own toilet." Kyuhyun sighed. 
 
Sungmin chuckled. "You're responsible for your friend. I like that."
 
I like that
 
The three words resounded in Kyuhyun's head.
 
Granted, the other didn't say I like you, but hey, it was a start and Kyuhyun was willing to take anything.
 
"Agreed. He idiot's lucky to have me." Kyuhyun snorted.
 
Sungmin laughed lightly. "You're on your way home, right?" 
 
Kyuhyun nodded. "Uh huh. You said you had some taxi numbers?"
 
"Well..." Sungmin chewed his bottom lip. "My shift's finished anyway, and I wouldn't mind driving you guys home."
 
"Yeah, that'd be grea--- wait. What?" Kyuhyun's eyes widened. Was the alcohol finally getting to him or...?
 
"I can drive you guys home, I don't mind. Saves on having to wait for a taxi, too." Sungmin took his keys out of his pocket and shook them lightly. "What do you say?"
 
"You-- you sure?"
 
" 'Course. And if you're worried, I promise I didn't drink-- we aren't allowed to drink on the job, anyway."
 
"No-- no, it's not that, um-- wouldn't it be too much trouble?" Kyuhyun was just about to congratulate him on their decent conversation but here he goes again. Get a grip, Cho Kyuhyun!
 
Sungmin laughed. "Sure I'm sure. You ready to go?"
 
"Y--yeah."
 
"Cool. Here, I'll help you with your friend."
 
Sungmin walked out from behind the counter and leaned down beside Hyukjae, bringing one of the blond's arms across his shoulder. Kyuhyun did the same with the other arm and the two half carried, half dragged the skinny man out of the bar.
 
Kyuhyun also found out that night how hard it was to get a seatbelt on a drunk man.
 
 
***
 
 
"So... Kyuhyun right? What year are you?" Sungmin asked as they pulled out smoothly from the carpark and onto the main road.
 
Kyuhyun was settled comfortably in the passenger seat, trying not to fiddle-- a nervous habit he's never been successful in getting rid of.
 
"I'm a first year... studying commerce."
 
"Oh, okay. How're you finding it? You got three more years?"
 
"It's alright. Semi-drowning in the workload though. And uh, I've only got two more years after this one... scholarship." 
 
Sungmin slowed down at the red lights and turned to face him.
 
"Scholarship, that's impressive. Means you don't have to pay much of the course fees, too."
 
Kyuhyun nodded. "Yeah, it definitely makes things easier, money-wise. Means I can afford to go to bars with these idiot friends of mine." 
 
Sungmin laughed quietly. 
 
"So... what about you? How many jobs do you work, anyway?"
 
"Well... I work two. You've seen me at both." Sungmin smiled. "I only work at the bar when they need me, though. Usually some weekends and the odd Friday."
 
"You get discounted drinks too, when you visit?"
 
"I... don't drink." Sungmin mumbled quietly.
 
Kyuhyun could somehow tell this was fragile ground to tread on, and that the elder must have some private reasons for not drinking. Thankfully, the lights turned green at this moment and Sungmin drove on. 
 
"Your friend, is he doing commerce too?" Sungmin asked after a few moments of silence, tilting his head towards Hyukjae slumbering in the backseat.
 
"Yeah, he is. Doesn't pay attention half the time, though." Kyuhyun was relieved at the change in subject.
 
Sungmin chuckled. "Sounds like me in my first year, too."
 
"My other friend I came with tonight, Heechul, he's no better. I end up having to smack them on the head whenever assignments are due." 
 
Sungmin glanced at the brunette. "He went home aleady?" 
 
"Nah-- he's still with what I presume to be his latest conquest at the bar."
 
Sungmin raised an eyebrow. "Girlfriend?"
 
"Actually... boyfriend. He's gay, and proud of it, too." Kyuhyun smiled. That's one of the things he admired about the other. Not giving two tosses about what others think.
 
"Ah... he swings for the other team." Sungmin chuckled. 
 
"Uh huh, you could put it that way. Met the boyfriend just before I saw you. Name's Hangeng, seemed a pretty nice guy."
 
"Hangeng? As in... slightly tanned. almond-shaped eyes, spikey hair?" 
 
"Yeah-- you... you know him?" Kyuhyun asked, surprised.
 
Sungmin nodded. "He's my friend, known him since seventh grade taekwondo class. Haven't ever seen him date anyone, though. This Heechul must be really good, for Hangeng to agree to go out with him."
 
"Heechul is certainly... different. In a screeching monkey kind of way." 
 
"Don't worry, I get what you mean. Another friend of mine, Donghae, acts like a five year old most of the time. Nearly cried once when the store ran out of red bean ice blocks." Sungmin sniggered.
 
"At least he doesn't drool over multiple girls like this one." Kyuhyun jerked his head backwards.
 
"You know what, by the sound of things I reckon these two would get along really well. Donghae also pines after girls. Mostly so they can buy him food though, that kid."
 
Kyuhyun laughed.
 
Sungmin glanced over at the rich, velvety sound that came out of the younger's mouth. The simple laugh almost had an underlying baritone quality to it. As the streetlights they drove by cast long shadows over Kyuhyun's face, Sungmin couldn't help but look out his periphery at the other's profile. Kyuhyun had a certain mature quality to him, much older than his first year status seemed to suggest. The slight brown curls on his head somehow fitted him perfectly, and the man had a strong jawline, despite the faded acne scars running along them. 
 
All too soon, they reached Hyukjae and Kyuhyun's apartment. The two had decided to flat together, although Heechul crashes there most of the time anyway. Kyuhyun was semi-glad he didn't have to sit alone in a car with Sungmin, because he didn't trust what his brain would tell him to do. 
 
"Well, we're here." Sungmin turned off the engine and took off his seatbelt.
 
Kyuhyun tried to take off his seatbelt too, but somehow the end seemed to be jammed and didn't want to bulge. 
 
"Oh sorry, forgot to tell you the seatbelt's a bit fiddly on that one." Sungmin promptly leaned across to help, and Kyuhyun froze as the elder's face became just a mere few inches away from his own. He could see the other man's smooth and completely unblemished skin (alabaster came to mind), and caught a faint vanilla scent tinged with the slightest tinge of honey that seemed to exude off the elder. 
 
The seatbelt was removed, and Sungmin smiled triumphantly before climbing out of his car and opening the backseat door, completely oblivious as to how he affected Kyuhyun.
 
Kyuhyun recovered quickly, dragging a slumped but semi-conscious Hyukjae out, and thanked Sungmin, refusing his offers of help. 
 
"No, you go home now, you've already gone out of your way to help us. I'll manage." Kyuhyun smiled. 
 
"You sure?"
 
"Yes, Sungmin, just go home and sleep already." Kyuhyun laughed again.
 
Sungmin shrugged and smiled. "Okay. I guess I'll see you around, then."
 
See you around.
 
Those three words again. But somehow Kyuhyun believed in them more this time. 
 
Kyuhyun nodded and waved as Sungmin started up the engine again. 
 
"Night, drive safe!"
 
Sungmin rolled his eyes but smiled, and waved back before he disappeared off into the distance.
 
Kyuhyun was almost rendered speechless at how that smile looked against the night sky.
 
 
***
 
 
For the first time ever, Kyuhyun has to thank Hyukjae for being the drunk anchovy he is.
 
After successfully dumping the blond in bed, Kyuhyun trudged back into his room, exhausted.
 
 

What an eventful evening, Kyuhyun thought as he collapsed on his bed and promptly fell asleep.

 

 

 

---------

So... we finally have a proper Kyuhyun + Sungmin conversation! *opens party poppers, sings off-tune* ^^"

Another note-- I at writing long, long updates. All my updates so far have been an average 1500 words, which is a comfortable amount for me-- so please bear with.

See you next update-- thanks for everyone's support!

Comments are appreciated :D