Seoul

Hidden

            The tension in the air was so thick that a knife could easily cut through it. Baekhyun stared at his father who hasn’t seen him in almost two decades. The man looked so happy to see his boy still alive after such a massacre. Jitae, or Baekhyun, looks just like him and his wife who is sitting at home somewhere in Seoul. The president felt nothing but joy, however his son looked miserable and in fear of losing another friend. At least he thinks Chanyeol is just his friend. Though since no words were said for almost a minute, Baekhyun ran to the beaten young man and wrapped his arms around him tight.

            Chanyeol stared at his boyfriend whose face looked terribly beaten. Baekhyun whispered “it was just a fall” before crying into his partners solider. There was so much they both needed to tell each other, but with the president hovering over them, not a word was spoken. He kneeled down next to the couple and took hold of one side of his son’s face. Baekhyun had blooding drying from a split lip and from his forehead. His eyes looked a little bit dazed, almost like he’s had some trauma to his head. The president had tears of happiness in his eyes because all he’s wished to do for years was hold his son.

“Who did this to you Jitae,” he spoke cleaning away some blood.

“My name is Baekhyun not Jitae. You may have named me that, but I don’t want to be Jitae. My face is like this because you did this to me, appa. The soldiers were tying to kill me because you ordered them to murder everyone. If I didn’t run fast enough, I would be dead. Chanyeol would be dead…”

            The man looked at Chanyeol. He beat this young man so badly that he couldn’t even see out of one eye. A dark purple bruise smudged the temple he slammed a metal gun against, and his nose could very well be broken. Despite how horrible Chanyeol looked, he got away easy. There is still life flowing through his body, but not many other people can say the same. In fact, Baekhyun and Chanyeol can very well be the only residents of Bongha left alive. Dead bodies were scattered around the village varying in ages. The public would here about this eventually, though by looking at the destruction, the president wasn’t sure how he was going to explain himself.

            After standing on his feet, the president lifted up Baekhyun to his feet. He removed the handcuffs around Chanyeol’s wrists and helped him to his feet as well. They both were a little wobbly at first, and for Baekhyun it hurt is ankle to put full weight down on his foot.

“Both of you must follow me. You need medical attention.”

            Baekhyun looked over to his boyfriend to see what he wanted to do, but Chanyeol only glared at the man before limping over to his mother’s body. He crashed to his knees looking at her corpse. The tears were pouring out his eyes so fast that even his breath couldn’t catch up to the sobs.

“Umma,” Chanyeol screamed loudly. “Umma come back please!”

            Chanyeol was holding his mother’s hand and rubbing her forehead as he cried hysterically. It’s been said that parents should die before their children, but this wasn’t the way it’s supposed to happen. A mother shouldn’t be taken away from her son because some man was angry. It wasn’t fair. Baekhyun hated to see his boyfriend in shambles. He limped over to his father and pushed him as hard as he could.

“Look at what you’ve done,” Baekhyun roared. “Are you happy?! Is this what you wanted to do to us?!”

“Baekhyun, Chanyeol, I’m so sorry.”

            His son was crying, finally letting out the tears of all the death, the loss, and the horrifying scenes. The president hugged his son who instantly held on to him tight. Baekhyun may hate this man, but it’s still his father. No matter what happens, parents will always be there for their childen. They will always catch their children’s tears. Right now, this is exactly what Baekhyun’s father was doing. The president kneeled down, still hugging his whimpering child, and placed a caring hand against Chanyeol’s shoulder.

“Chanyeol,” he began. “I will make sure your mother has a proper funeral.”

“… you.”

            Despite the cold response, the president still held onto his shoulder for sometime. Eventually, he stood to his feet and began walking towards the helicopter he had announced a warning to Bongha on. Baekhyun interlocked his fingers with Chanyeol’s before they were both being pulled into the helicopter. Chanyeol didn’t want to leave his mother’s body, but Baekhyun was literally being dragged by his father. They got into the vehicle, with nothing but silence wrapping around them. Baekhyun sat next to his boyfriend and laid down on his lap. They have seen a lot for one day, but it seemed to be taking a toll. Chanyeol saw how blank Baekhyun’s eyes looked. Either his hyung was very upset, or he hit his head so hard during his fall that he can’t even focus now.

~*~*~*~*~*

 

            Seoul was very different from Bongha. Chanyeol was staring at the bustling city from above on a helicopter that was close to landing on a very well guarded home. It had gates wrapping high around its perimeter with many security guards pacing the whole ground. This had to be the president’s home. The demon, who was sitting in the passenger seat, or better known as Baekhyun’s father, was now preparing to step out the landing vehicle. Chanyeol tapped on his boyfriend’s shoulder to wake him up, only to see his face cringing in pain. Baekhyun had been cringing the entire ride because the sounds of the helicopter blades were too much for him. Something was very wrong with him.

            The side door opened quickly within seconds of the vehicle hitting the ground, and the couple was pulled out by multiple doctors. A woman guided Chanyeol towards the home while a man took Baekhyun. The man stared at Baekhyun for the longest time, perhaps debating what was wrong with the young man. Either way, it made the hurt boy feel very uncomfortable. The mansion that was once the home of Baekhyun apparently had a medical room. That’s where they were currently sitting while doctors examined their wounds. Chanyeol never let go of his boyfriends hand the entire time. Once the doctors left the room to collaborate on what was wrong with them, the couple moved close to each other on the examining bed. Baekhyun laid down on Chanyeol’s bed, resting his head on his boyfriend’s chest. Their fingers interlocked before the door was opened yet again. The president walked in, shocked at the site of his son cuddling close to another man.

“Jitae,” he began clearing his throat. “Excuse me, I mean Baekhyun. I am going to get your mother and tell her everything that has happened today. If you need anything, Dr. Hwang will be just outside for you both. Try not to surprise her by cuddling up to Chanyeol.”

“Appa,” Baek spoke quietly before the man walked out. “Chanyeol’s mother isn’t the only person who needs a funeral. You killed my best friends today. Jongdae and Minseok better have a funeral too. If they don’t, you will never see me again. Conduct all the searches you want, but you’re never going to find me or Chanyeol if they don’t get funerals. And for the record, Yeol and I are dating.”

“Of course. I’ll see to it that your friends are laid to rest.”

            As his father went to walk out the door, Baekhyun could see the doctor who led him out the helicopter. The man was probably in his mid-forties, not all that bad looking. Though he kept staring at Baekhyun as if his life depended on it. Chanyeol didn’t seem to notice the awkward air, but he kissed his boyfriend’s forehead before covering them both with a blanket.

“Thank you for standing up to your father like that. It can’t be easy.”

“Yeah,” he replied with a blank stare.

“Are you excited to meet your mom? I’m sure she is nervous waiting to meet you.”

“I know she had nothing to do with what my father did today. Honestly, I’m kind of happy that I get to meet her.”

            They both stayed quiet, unsure of what to say next. Baekhyun wanted to say he’s excited to finally understand the warmth and happiness people get around their mothers, but it seemed unfair. Not even two hours ago, Chanyeol lost his mother. Even worse than that, he had lost his entire family in one day. While one half of the relationship mourns their family, the other gets to meet their own. The door opened yet again though the light sound of heels followed. A woman, thin and beautiful stepped in with a massive bouquet of flowers and an old stuffed animal. She was almost a spitting image of Baekhyun, just with more feminine features and long hair. Her eyes were watering  as she pulled a stool next to the bed where both her son and Chanyeol laid defeated from their tragic day.

“Hello,” she began holding back the tears. “My name is Shi-ra, and I’m Jitae’s mother. Before I even get the chance to talk to you both, let me apologize for my husband’s horrific actions. There is no excuse in the world for what he has put you through today. If I could have stopped this, I would have. Jun-ha has a lot of apologizing to do, but what I can offer is my condolences.”

            Shi-ra gracefully placed the flowers into a vase besides Chanyeol and rubbed his forehead before sitting down. She looked into his eyes with pure sorrow and took hold of his hand.

“Chanyeol, please forgive me for letting your whole family to be taken away from you.”

“Mrs. Byun please don’t be sorry,” Chanyeol spoke in near tears. “This isn’t your fault in any way.”

“I owe you so much. All these years, my Jitae was in your loving arms and not lost somewhere with horrible people. Look at my beautiful boy.”

            Baekhyun was smiling shyly at his mother who finally let the tears fall from her eyes. He hid his face in Chanyeol’s chest, trying to fight back the tears. The dream he had of meeting his mother was even sweeter than he had imagined. He got to meet the woman who gave him life next to Chanyeol. She stood up to hug her son who wrapped his arms tight around her. He cried loudly feeling her warmth. All these years thinking he had no parents, all the sleepless nights wondering what happened to his mother, they were over. She was now standing before him. Chanyeol wiped the tears from his eyes seeing the joy on his boyfriends face, but the tears were caused by the thought of his own mother. He’ll never be able to hug her again.

“Umma,” Baekhyun smiled. “I’ve been dying to meet you my whole life… And now here you are. I’m so sorry that I didn’t find you sooner.”

“Jitae, don’t be sorry. It’s my fault for ever letting you go that day. I will never forget seeing my baby gone from his crib. There are so many things we all need to talk about. How about we go outside and get some fresh air?”

“That would be very nice,” Chanyeol said still crying. “Anything to get my mind off today…”

            Shi-ra bit her lip seeing the sadness in Chanyeol’s eyes. She isn’t sure what exactly happened today in Bongha, but when the time is right, either Baekhyun or Chanyeol will tell her. For now, her husband as a lot to do to make up for his horrific actions. Chanyeol stood up and walked over to the full length mirror. Behind him he could Shi-ra helping her son out of bed. Her eyes widened looking at the clothing they were both wearing under the sheets. Holes, rips, and blood were scattered across the both of them. Baekhyun walked up to Chanyeol seeing the blood on his jeans that probably belonged to his mother.

“Mom, can Yeol and I take showers and change our clothes?”

“Yes let me bring you to your room. Chanyeol, do you want to share a room with Jitae or have your own?”

“I-I think I’ll share it with Baek.”

“Who is Baek,” Shi-ra asked opening the door.

“Ever since I was brought to Bongha, they named me Baekhyun. I’ve been called Baek all my life.”

“Oh… I should have known your named changed. Well Baekhyun and Chanyeol, why don’t I show you to your room.”