Not What It Seems

Hidden

            There was a room filled with massive furniture with warm colored walls. Windows spread across the entire side wall allowing the beautiful colors of the garden drip into the room. Baekhyun was sitting on a neatly made bed observing the room that was once his. His head hurt less when the curtains blocked the sunlight from outside. He knew that his fall back in Bongha had really hurt him, but should the pain be lasting this long?

            In the corner of the room was a small crib with a teddy bear that seemed to be old. Baekhyun stood up and walked over to it, imagining a little baby inside. The baby was probably just chewing on his teddy bear until some horrible man picked him up and walked out, not even leaving a trace. He wondered how someone could just kidnap a child from their own parents, but in a way he was thankful. Without being taken, Chanyeol would have never known about Baekhyun’s existence. Well he may have since he is the son of the president, but then Baekhyun wouldn’t know about Chanyeol. He wouldn’t know where to find the one person who completes him.

            The tall man walked into the room, hair still dripping from the shower. His face was sparkling clean, no longer covered in blood. However his eyelid was still dark with bruising and his eye itself was red with blood. Despite the cuts and dark colors, Chanyeol had never looked so handsome. Shi-ra had a closest filled with all sizes of clothes. She said that one day she would find her son and have everything ready for him. Well, her preparedness allowed the two boys to find perfect fitting clothes. It was weird to them both to be wearing such expensive pieces, but it felt nicer than what they bought in Bongha.

            Chanyeol stepped towards Baekhyun and placed his warm hands on his partner’s small waist. They looked at each other smiling before allowing their foreheads to press up against each other. Baekhyun wrapped his arms around Chanyeol’s shoulder before pressing his soft lips against the giant man before him. He was on the tip of his toes reaching for the kiss, but Chanyeol lifted him into his arms. Their tongues crashed against each other in sudden passion, fighting over who dominated the kiss. Baekhyun wrapped his legs around Chanyeol’s waist, pulling them in closer. They made their way over to soft bed, Baekhyun being laid down on his back gently and Chanyeol climbing on top.

“I love you, Yeol.”

“I love you more.”

            The couple continued to kiss wildly, finally being able to be with each other without any stress. It seemed like the second they became a couple and allowed their feelings to be shared, nothing but horrible things happened to them. Now that they were in the clear, there was no need to hold back any passion. The time to let release all the frustration of being too afraid to confess their love was here. Chanyeol pressed his body against his boyfriend who seemed to have lost focus for a second or so. Feeling their chests pressed together snapped Baekhyun out of his zone and he bit Chanyeol’s lower lip gently. The younger male didn’t want to admit or even show that when his lip gets bitten like that, he melts and gets a little bit . Instead, he squeezed Baekhyun’s waist while moving down to kiss his neck. A little moan escaped past the lips of the older male as he could feel Chanyeol biting and on one spot of his neck.

“Chanyeol and Baekhyun,” a voice called from down the hall. “Are you ready for dinner?”

            Chanyeol flew off his boyfriend hearing the president walk towards the door. Baekhyun ran to the closet looking for a scarf that covered the bright pink mark on his neck. The door opened and a more casually dressed man walked in. He could see Chanyeol in jeans and a collared shirt, and Baekhyun in an oversized sweater and scarf. They looked happy finally. Despite the past twenty –four hours, the two young men were smiling.

“The chef as prepared you both a special meal. Why don’t we all eat together?”

“Is Mom going to be there,” Baekhyun asked not wanting to be alone with his father.

“Of course she’ll be there. Let’s go before the food gets cold.”

            Before walking out the room, Baekhyun took his boyfriend’s hand. Chanyeol seemed to have lost every ounce of happiness the second the president turned around. There was still so much anger towards the president. How in the world was he supposed to sit down and eat looking at the man who murdered his mother?

            The dining room was absolutely beautiful and decorated for Christmas. A massive lit tree stood tall in one corner with ornaments probably meaning nothing to the household. Baekhyun remembered the tree his grandmother would set up every year. It had ornaments hanging everywhere, each piece of plastic having some significance to them. One of the nicest pieces on the tree was a snow globe Chanyeol had bought his hyung years ago on a visit to Seoul. It’s ironic how now the couple is together sitting in Seoul trapped in a snow globe they call the president’s home.

            A group of chefs set up the table as the family sat in the seats one by one. Shi-ra sat next to her husband Jun-ha who sat facing the entire table, and it seemed most appropriate for the president to have the most attention seeking seat. Baekhyun sat across and a seat down from his mother, and Chanyeol chose a chair directly next to his partner. They all began to pick at the delicious five star meals in front of them. It was a little awkward at first, but leave it to Shi-ra to try and ease a situation.

“Baekhyun,” she began. “Are you and Chanyeol attending school at the moment? You should be in college by now.”

“Yes, we both go to Pusan National University. I’m a major in musical composition and sound design. Growing up, me and Yeol would sing all the time, so music means a lot to me.”

“That’s really great, son,” Jun-ha smiled. “What do you go to school for Chanyeol?”

            It hadn’t even been five minutes at the dinner table, but Chanyeol was ready to burst. He couldn’t just sit there and eat dinner along with a murder as if it was nothing. The man talking to him just destroyed his life, if not ruined it. Had Baekhyun been killed too, Chanyeol would feel meaningless. Everyone he has ever loves except for the lover in his arms were dead. He slammed down his fork and stood to his feet. Baekhyun looked at him with sad eyes, wishing to pretend the dinner with his real parents was normal. Though there was no denying that this isn’t how people should meet.

“I’m sorry Baekhyun and Mrs. Byun for doing this, but I can’t just sit here,” he yelled. “I get that you want to be normal happy family, but you can’t ignore the fact that this ing monster ruined my life! He has killed EVERYONE I have loved, yet at the end of the day he gets to sip on soup like its nothing! It’s not fair! I have no parents now! No family! This isn’t right…”

“Yeol,” Baekhyun sighed going after his boyfriend who stormed out the room.

“He’s right you know,” Shi-ra spoke.

“Yes. He has no idea what kind of monster I really am.”

            The first lady looked at her husband confused. What monster he really is? That didn’t make any sense to her, but there was no time to sit and question a statement. She had to go and fix the situation.  Baekhyun and Chanyeol’s room door was open with the sounds of sobs escaping past the walls. She walked in slowly hearing Chanyeol in the bathroom crying. Her son was standing at the mirror holding his head and wearing a face of pain. Before Shi-ra could even ask if he had a headache, Baekhyun had fallen to the ground. She bolted toward the fallen boy lifting his head onto her lap.

“Chanyeol,” she screamed. “Get the doctor quick!”

~*~*~*~*~*

“Baekhyun has the condition known as Post-concussion syndrome,” Dr. Hwang said observing x-rays.

“How does he get treated for that? Does Baek need medicine now?”

“Not necessarily. I can prescribe him medicine to take away the pain, but there isn’t anything for the injury itself. The brain has been slammed against the skull, and medicine can’t fix that. What I can offer are psychotherapy sessions.”

“Anything to see that my son is back to perfect health. When should we start this?”

“Tomorrow if you’d like,” he said staring at Baekhyun.

            Shi-ra agreed to letting her son take the treatment as soon as tomorrow, but Baekhyun didn’t want to go. Something about Dr. Hwang didn’t sit right in his stomach. The man would stare at him for the longest time whenever they were together. Chanyeol said it wasn’t anything to worry about because the doctor’s job was to observe. Night time was arriving fast, and the horrible day needed to come to a close. Shi-ra walked her son and his boyfriend back to their room before saying goodnight and shutting the door.

            Chanyeol watched Baekhyun climb into the soft sheets, wrapping himself up in the white linens. Slipping in close behind, Chanyeol laid onto the mattress pulling his boyfriend closer to him. The older boy turned around smiling wrapping his arm around Chanyeol’s waist. A slow kiss was the last thing they did before slipping off into a dreamy world.

Two Days Later

            The medical room in the house looked as if it belonged in the hospital. There were two beds wrapped in plain sheets and machines scattered about the room. Baekhyun was laying in the bed farthest away from the door, waiting for either Chanyeol or Dr. Hwang to arrive. Chanyeol said he would accompany his boyfriend to the session, but Jun-ha had asked him to join him in his office. Chances were it was time to arrange the Park family’s funerals.

            Dr. Hwang walked caring a medical bag filled with instruments of all sorts. Although it did seem unusual that extra implements needed to be in the room even though this was psychotherapy. This type of therapy, as far as Baekhyun knew, was for the brain and only needed thought and emotion. The lights were dimmed low and a projector shining against a blank wall.

“To begin our session, I need you to explain to me what you see.”

            There were all different colored shapes and numbered sequences on the wall. Anyone could answer the question being asked with ease, but after having such a traumatic concussion, it nearly pained Baekhyun to think. For almost thirty minutes, the doctor and his patient sat and spoke of what it was they were looking at. After answering how many tens go into one hundred, the doctor didn’t turn around. Baekhyun knew his answer was correct, but the man was too busy going through his bag of instruments.

‘Baekhyun,” Dr. Hwang said shutting his bag. “I need you to close your eyes for a moment. Don’t worry this is apart of the session.”

            It was a request that Baekhyun didn’t feel comfortable with, but he complied and shut his eyes. He could feel both his arms being lifted over his head with wrists pressed together. Maybe this was a kind of stretch to help the brain, but then again, there was no reason for his arms to be tied to the headboard of the bed. Baekhyun swung his eyelids open seeing that he was tied down for no reason at all. The doctor shoved paper towel into his both to prevent any screaming. Kicking was the only defense right now, but the young man couldn’t kick when the doctor strapped down his legs.

“If you say a thing about this to anyone, all I have to do is inject this into Chanyeol. It’s a medicine that will stop the blood flow to his heart and kill him.”

            He watched Dr. Hwang place a syringe full of a purple liquid on the side table. That little amount of liquid could take Chanyeol away from him. Suddenly, Baekhyun felt hands rubbing all over his body forcefully, then the sleeves of his shirt begin lifted. The man opened a suit case filled with colorful syringes full of liquids. After debating for a few moments, Dr. Hwang picked up the pink looking bottle, stabbing in deep into Baekhyun’s vein. The young man screamed in pain, but there was no point. No one could help him now.