In the Dark

Hidden

            The sun was shinning bright against the fields of Bongha that were slowly defrosting from the icy night. Inside the abandoned shack at the end of the dirt road were a sleeping Baekhyun and Chanyeol. They had their bodies as close as it could be together just to maintain warmth. It was so cold that Chanyeol had barely slept. He was too busy making sure he could see his boyfriend breathe in his sleep. It seemed like they would freeze to death. Finally, they were both asleep, but not for long.

            A sound of a helicopter flying low awoke the two. They rolled around for a bit, trying to ignore the noise, but a voice began calling down from a speaker high in the air. It was muffled at first, but Baekhyun walked towards the window to hear the voice a little bit clearer. Chanyeol followed behind wrapping his arms around his boyfriend’s small waist.

“Attention residents of Bongha. This is Commander Kim of the South Korean army. You are locked inside your village. No one is allowed in or out. We are looking for Byun Baekhyun and Park Chanyeol. I repeat, we are looking for Byun Baekhyun and Park Chanyeol. If they do not report to city hall by the end of today, ALL Bongha residents can expect severe punishment. If you see the young men, report their coordinates to our station in town square. Good day to you.”

            Baekhyun turned around in Chanyeol’s arms to look him in his eyes. They both look terrified. Remaining hidden is now risking the livelihood of every single person in this village. The commander never said what the punishment will be, but the army probably wasn’t taking this situation lightly.

“Babe,” Baekhyun began. “We can’t hide anymore. You need to stay here. I’ll go out there and tell them I don’t want to see my father. Risking your life and everyone else’s isn’t fair.”

“You’re not doing that. I promised you that I would never leave your side again, and I’m keeping my promise.”

“I can’t just watch the village get punished because of me. I don’t want to live with that Yeol.”

“Everything will be fine. Just let this all pass. They’ll give up eventually.”

            He didn’t respond because maybe that was true. If they have wasted nineteen years of searching already, then maybe now they’ll give up. Baekhyun was in their grips, but he slipped away. The president had to give up now. At least that’s what the couple was hoping. They sat down for a few moments, feeling the hunger in their bellies. It had been almost twenty four hours since they have even had a bite of food. Just as Baekhyun went to plead to Chanyeol to go out and get food, the sound of footsteps behind them bounced off the filthy walls. Jongdae and Minseok walked in smiling with very stuffed backpacks. The group of friends all hugged each other, holding back tears. Minseok hated seeing his best friends living in squander.

“I am so sorry Jongdae and I can’t help you guys,” Minseok sighed.

“We thought it’d be best to bring you some food, water, blankets, and a change of clothes. This should last a few days. We’ll come everyday, I promise.”

            They all cleared a space free of leaves, vines, and spider webs. This place needed to be a little bit cleaner if Baekhyun and Chanyeol wanted to stay here for an extended amount of time. After setting down a picnic blanket, the friends gathered in a circle to munch on some food and hang out as if they were in the coffee shop. They were laughing at jokes, talking about school, and what they were planning to do once the army goes away. But Minseok pulled away from the conversation. He was too busy taking in the moment they were having. The South Korean army can come in at any moment and take Chanyeol and Baekhyun away. The thought of that nearly brought him to tears. Baekhyun noticed his hyung looking upset, and stopped eating. He knew exactly what was wrong.

“Hyung,” said Baekhyun. “Please don’t be upset.”

“I’m trying not to be Baek. It’s just scary when an army is looking for you. Look how crazy they are getting just to capture you both.”

“It’s easier if I just turn myself in. Honestly, why punish the entire village. If I just face my father this can all end.”

“But what if he forces you to leave? Then we’ll never see you again,” Jongdae sighed. “If you and Yeol stay here just a bit longer, they’ll go away and give up.”

“Maybe…”

            They all went back to eating, but the mood was different now. It felt like this was going to be the last hang out session they have together. Baekhyun wasn’t sure why it felt this way, but maybe that was a sign to him to go and meet with the army. It seemed easier to go alone, but Chanyeol won’t leave his side. The only way to go is when his boyfriend is asleep. Though a tired feeling rolled over all of the boy’s bodies, and they realized it was already nine at night. They had been hanging out all day, but time flies when having fun. The army was probably getting suspicious, so Jongdae and Minseok began to head to their separate homes. Everyone hugged goodbye, fighting back tears. Tomorrow is another day. They just hopped they all got to it.

~*~*~*~*~*

            Morning had come knocking at the door again, and Baekhyun woke up first. It was colder than yesterday, and much harder to sleep. The sound of a helicopter searching the village with a spot light rang through the air all night. Though the past few hours, the sound disappeared. He was just awaiting the soldier’s voice asking for Park Chanyeol and Byun Baekhyun. Apparently no one wanted to turn them in. It was nice to know that the town wants to keep their beloved young men safe despite a punishment. They were all going to find out what that punishment is soon, because Chanyeol and Baekhyun never went to city hall to reveal themselves. What really bothered the oldest boy was if his father knew his son had been found. A booming voice sounded into the village, startling almost all the residents on their feet.

“Good morning residents of Bongha. As you may have noticed, you received a flyer on your door steps last night. Let me repeat to you all what it says. At 2PM, ALL residents are expected to be at city hall for a meeting. Soldiers will be raiding homes to ensure you are all there. I repeat, all residents are expected to be at city hall at 2PM.”

            That wasn’t the soldier’s voice they had been hearing all day yesterday. This was a new voice. Chanyeol turned to his boyfriend with a frown on his face. It was judgment day, and they both couldn’t deny that. Whatever the punishment will be, they are sure it will be as severe as the president has threatened. After some debating, the couple decided they would go together to city hall. If Bongha is going to be punished, it’s best that everyone go together. No more hiding. When they looked out the window after eating a small breakfast, a crowd of people were walking together. It was nearly two in the afternoon, so they got bundled up to head out.

            Everyone was to themselves. There wasn’t much talking or looking around. It allowed Chanyeol and Baekhyun to blend in with ease. Even though it felt like they had targets on their back, not a single eye noticed them. After walking for a half hour, they all made it. There was a loud rumbling sound coming out past the miles of golden wheat. No one in town knew the origin of the sound because everyone was gathered outside the city hall building.

            A row of at least thirty soldiers dressed in camouflage patterns stood still and emotionless in front of the massive fountain no longer pouring water. The townspeople felt nervous as the figure of a man appeared before a podium. He tapped the microphone before clearing his throat and booming his angry voice to the crowd. Chanyeol and Baekhyun were somewhere in the middle with hands locked tight, and began to tactfully separate themselves from the mass amount of bodies. It was far too risky now. They froze in place when the first words of the man were spoken, or in this case yelled.

“Where is my son?! Where have you all hidden my only child?!”

            It was the president standing before them. That man screaming at his neighbors was his father. A man Baekhyun has only dreamed of meeting crying at how many years he’s wanted to meet the man who gave him life. Though this was the exact opposite scenario of his dreams. His father was yelling at everyone he loved as if it was their fault he didn’t know his own identity. Baekhyun wanted to scream out in anger, but the sounds of boots clicking to the floor stopped him. The soldiers had kneeled down with guns pointed to the crowd, each army member pointing their muzzle of a rifle at the target of their choice. Everyone began to shout in fear, some even running.

“If you won’t give me my child, then you will die! Fire!”

 

~*~*~*~*

Hello everyone(: Hope you are enjoying the story! Since Thanksgiving is tomorrow, enjoy your day! I'm thankful to all my subscribers :3 Also a happy belated birthday to Mr. Chanyeol xP Please leave comments ^^