Staying Quiet

Hidden

            Chanyeol was walking the long decorated halls trailing behind the president. Just before entering the medical room with Baekhyun, Jun-ha asked Chanyeol to speak with him in his office. The last thing he wanted was to be alone with a murder, but the young man assumed it was time to make funeral arrangements for his family. Jun-ha opened his office door waiting for Chanyeol to enter before he shutting it. Without instruction, Chanyeol sat down in a leather chair next to the paper filled desk. However the president never sat down.

“This way,” Jun-ha said pushing the bookshelf open.

            The shelf was almost like a hidden door, keeping a dirty hallway unknown. It looked like an entrance to a dungeon or basement of some horrific kind. Chanyeol looked with wide eyes shaking his head in disapproval. There was no way he would enter that room alone with a man who murdered an entire village. Suddenly, a tuft of his hair wrapped into Jun-ha’s fist and he was being pulled into the dark hallway. Chanyeol fell to his knees after being thrown into a room with circular walls. There was not a thing in this basement. It was just rock walls and rock floors. Everything seemed to be made out of cement. He felt the shirt being ripped right off his back.

“What you did yesterday at dinner will never happen again,” the president spoke. “You won’t ever disobey me again. Do you understand?”

“You’re a ing monster,” Chanyeol roared charging towards him.

            A slicing feeling against his chest stopped Chanyeol dead in his tracks. It felt as if the skin on his chest was just torn apart. Jun-ha stood before him with a whip in his hands. There was black leather shining bright all across the weapon, but it was the tail the caused the pain. Spiked studs were on nearly every inch of the whip. Within an instant, more and more cuts were forming on Chanyeol’s fair skin as the spikes collided against him. It was a pain the young man had never felt before. He hit the ground with tears pouring from his eyes.

“Stop it! What are you doing?!”

            The man didn’t answer. The screams of pain only fueled Jun-ha’s energy and he whipped Chanyeol even faster. If speaking out against the president meant this, then maybe Chanyeol should just keep his mouth shut. Blood was smeared all over his chest and back by the time the torture had ended. Jun-ha pulled him up again by the hair and threw him out into the office. Chanyeol sloppily fell to the carpet trying to lift himself up.

“Do you see what happens when you speak out against me?”

“…”

“Good. Now get out!”

            Chanyeol stared at the man with eyes squinted in anger and pain. The energy was drained from his body, but somehow the tall young man stood his feet. He wrapped his button up shirt around his bleeding upper half, but the sting of the fabric touching open wounds sent a new wave pain. Chanyeol ran across the hallway quickly to get to the bathroom and wash away the blood before Baekhyun could see.

~*~*~*~*~*

            There was a cold air in the medical room where Baekhyun was tied to the bed defenseless. His eyes were scanning the room wildly looking for ways to escape or try and create a loud noise. But it was useless. The doctor who was supposed to be helping heal his concussion was only making the pain in his head far worse. Now the pain was flowing from his head to the rest of his body. Baekhyun could almost feel a warm liquid rushing through his veins, numbing him as it passed. Dr. Hwang was still going through an assortment of syringes, trying to see which one next he’d like to stab into the young mans arms.

            The next color was red, but not like the color of blood. It almost had a tint of orange and yellow as if fire had turned to liquid. A psychotic smile wiped across Dr. Hwang’s face and he felt the bare arm of Baekhyun for just the right vein. Again, another stab shocked the boy and the liquid instantly flowed into him. This time, pain was instant. The substance was burning Baekhyun’s insides, or at least that’s what it felt like. His blood was boiling while the screams were roaring past his lips. It was a shame that the paper towel stuffed in his mouth blocked anyone else from hearing the calls of help.

“Your father is the one to blame for this,” Dr. Hwang began.

            Baekhyun couldn’t answer because he was too busy screaming and twitching in pain.

“When you had gone missing so many years ago, it was under my watch.”

            The screaming had stopped now. His body was still shaking with pain, but Baekhyun had given up on screaming and tried to catch his breath with a chest moving up and down heavily. Dr. Hwang was the one babysitting the young Jitae when he was kidnapped.

“I walked away for a few minutes and you were gone. The punishment was severe,” he growled turning to Baekhyun. “Because someone wanted you on my time, I was the one blamed for losing the precious Byun Jitae! My family was killed as a punishment for your kidnapping. They were killed with this as demanded by your father!”

            Dr. Hwang lifted the purple syringe and stabbed it into Baekhyun’s arm. He started screaming in fear knowing that if the liquid began to pour into his veins, he’d die. The doctor probably didn’t want him to die since he pulled it out violently allowing blood to pour from his arm. Baekhyun’s father really was a demon, killing an innocent family just because his child was kidnapped. Baekhyun cried hysterically wishing to be let out the room to run and find Chanyeol. Dr. Hwang released all the belts that tied down the young man and opened the medical room door. He was clearly letting him go, and Baekhyun pulled the paper towel out his mouth while running out the room.

            He ran down the halls of his new home so fast trying to find the hallway that looked like the one which held his bedroom. Finally a familiar looking set of walls and furniture. Baekhyun ran to his door and tore it open to find his boyfriend. Chanyeol was busy buttoning up his shirt with hair still a little damp from a recent shower. His eyes were widened with fear seeing how drained Baekhyun looked. Though he needed to tell his boyfriend what Jun-ha had just did to him. They needed to get out this house.

“Baekhyun your father-“

“Chanyeol-ah,” Baekhyun cried out hitting the ground. “It hurts so bad…”

            Chanyeol had just finished wrapping bandages all over his body to hide the blood and cuts Jun-ha had just given him. It was okay for him to move suddenly now because the wounds won’t bleed out onto his expensive clothing. Baekhyun was crying hysterically on the floor reaching for his boyfriend to hold him. Chanyeol lifted the limp body onto the bed to find out what was wrong, but he was afraid to even ask. If the president was secretly whipping him in the back of his office, who knows what the doctor is doing to poor Baekhyun.

“What did he do to you? Did that doctor hurt you at all?”

“…no.”

            Baekhyun was trying to gather himself to try and make up some story about how the therapy session wasn’t torture. If the truth was found out, Chanyeol would be dead. All Dr. Hwang needed to do was quickly inject that poison into him and his life would be over. Baekhyun wiped his eyes and threw himself against his boyfriend to hide his face into the buttoned up shirt. He felt a little bit more bulky, like he was wearing a textured undershirt, but that was the least of Baekhyun’s worries.

“M-maybe we should just leave. I’ll tell my mom I can’t stay here anymore.”

“Tell me what sweety,” Shi-ra smiled entering the room. “How are you feeling?”

“Nothing,” Baekhyun said wide eyed. “My head hurts a lot. That’s all.”

“I’ll tell Dr. Hwang to deliver you some pain medicine to your room and-“

“No!”

            Both Shi-Ra and Chanyeol jumped back at Baekhyun’s loud and quick response. He didn’t mean to yell at his own mother for offering some help. It was just that the last person he wanted in this room was Dr. Hwang. That man needed to stay as far away from Chanyeol as possible.

“Well alright then. Listen, your father is holding a press conference today to discuss what happened in Bongha. He is also going to introduce you and Chanyeol to the country.”

“Mrs. Byun I really don’t think that’s a good idea,” Chanyeol sighed.

“I know you both aren’t used to the spotlight, but I am just asking for this one thing. It means a lot to Jun-ha.”

“When do we have to be dressed by,” Baekhyun squirmed thinking of all the attention he’ll get.

“In two hours. Ladies please come inside.”

            Once Shi-ra had spoken her words, a group of three women came in wearing all black. They bowed shyly holding metallic boxes and different tailored suits. One was introduced as a hairstylist, the other a makeup artist, and the last a clothing specialist. Chanyeol looked down in shame when the makeup artist gasped at how much bruising she had to hide on his face. Baekhyun however somewhat enjoyed the star treatment. The woman gave him a massage on his head before styling his hair.

            After one and a half hours of A-list treatment, the couple were dressed and looking the best they had ever looked in their twenty one years of life. Chanyeol smiled at his prince charming who stared into the mirror. He wrapped his long arms around Baekhyun’s shoulders and began to kiss his neck. The mark he had left him yesterday was covered with makeup, but that was probably the best thing. After all they had to look perfect as the entire country was about to meet them. Baekhyun smiled at his boyfriend before the door opened. A man dressed in a suit told them to follow him to the waiting room.

            Shi-ra and Jun-ha sat next to each other smiling at the boys who walked in. She was staring at her handsome son all dolled up hand in hand with his boyfriend. The president however walked up to them, tapping Baekhyun gently on the shoulder but squeezing Chanyeol’s very tight. It was almost as if he remembered whipping that exact part of that skin, making it throb again in pain. Chanyeol flicked his shoulder forward making Jun-ha’s hand fly off him. Baekhyun looked up fast in shock at the action his boyfriend had made.

            Jun-ha glared at the tall young man before signaling to everyone to head out to the balcony. It was show time. He and Shi-ra walked out together, each step they took being applauded by a massive crowd in the streets. After a few moments of pure cheer, Jun-ha cleared his throat to silence the crowd. He was ready to introduce his son, but even more ready to deceive the crowd.

“My fellow citizens,” he spoke loudly. “Today I have a very important announcement to make. After nineteen years of endless searching, my wife and I have found our only son!”

            The crowd exploded with cheer. Flags of South Korea were waving violently in the mass amount of bodies who smiled from ear to ear. Baekhyun was pushed by a man wearing in ear piece inside the waiting room. That was his sign to step out close to his mother who had her arms extended towards him. His hands were shaking with nerves and his lips were quivering. The crowd suddenly flashed cameras as they screamed with joy. Jun-ha stepped backwards to wrap his arms around his son’s shoulders. Right now they were giving the perfect family portrait. After several seconds of smiling and waving to the people of South Korea, he stepped back to podium with a somber expression.

“Though I must tell you that finding Jitae came with a price.” He stopped for a moment pretending to look very upset. “My son was kidnapped and brought to Bongha Village were he was raised for his whole life. Three days ago, the army found him and warned the village to hand Jitae over. Instead of peacefully giving me my son, they shot at our army!”

            His voice was roaring with anger. The crowd booed with disapproval that Bongha Village would shoot at their own brothers. Chanyeol ran towards the door ready to attack Jun-ha for filling everyone’s ears with lies. His family was killed in cold blood, not in a battle between village and army. A man held him back telling him to wait for him to be allowed out. Baekhyun’s eyes widened hearing his father’s lies and he turned around instantly to see Chanyeol fuming with anger. There was nothing Chanyeol could do. He had to stand back and listen to Jun-ha’s false accusations.