Date Night

Hidden

        After walking for fifteen minutes in the freezing wind, Baekhyun walked up towards large wooden doors with ornate designs carved deep within them. They were opened revealing a handsome face standing bright on a tall frame. Chanyeol welcomed his hyung inside and up to his room. The two were fairly silent as Baekhyun climbed onto the neatly made bed and cuddled up into a pile of pillows. Chanyeol smiled and laid down next to him.

“You came over to cuddle in my pillows?”

“No,” Baekhyun spoke hiding his face into the pillows. “I wanted to hang out.”

“But Baek, I have my…I have my date tonight.”

“Oh right… Um, do you really want to go out with her? I mean she’s nice and all, but she doesn’t seem like your type.”

“My type,” Chanyeol laughed scratching his head. “I’ve never even liked a girl before! I have no type.”

“You shouldn’t go…”

            Chanyeol turned around to face Baekhyun who was still burying his face into the pillows. Usually Baekhyun is the one to push someone to do what’s right or do something that benefits them. In all of their years of friendship, Baekhyun has never said to not go after something. No matter how big the dream Chanyeol had, his hyung was there to support him. Now, he was feeling more reluctant to go on this date, but some girl would get her heart broken if he didn’t show up. Chanyeol rested his hand on his friend’s shoulder and a small sniffle sounded from the pillows.

“Baek, why are you being like this?”

“…I don’t know. I just don’t want someone to take you away from me,” he cried.

“Look at me,” Chanyeol spoke grabbing Baekhyun’s face. “No one is going to take me away from you. It’s just a date, okay?”

“Okay…”

~*~*~*~*

            The ride to Busan was very boring for Chanyeol. He had his headphone’s blasting music into his ears drowning out all noises around him. No matter how hard he tried, Baekhyun’s tears were burning an image into his brain. Seeing him like that killed Chanyeol, and maybe he really shouldn’t go on this date, but it wouldn’t be fair to Eun-je. She was a rich girl living in the heart of a bustling shore-side city. Her personality was a lot like the girls in Bongha, which is why Chanyeol gave her the chance of a date.

            Today’s date consisted of a picnic along the shore and a day spent on the rides of a boardwalk. This isn’t something the country boy is used to, but he thought maybe this would be something Eun-je would like. How could she like someone like Chanyeol? What was so special that she has seen in him? He wondered for the longest time before getting off the train and walking towards her apartment. The city noises and fast moving people annoyed the boy. He much prefers just hanging out near the fields or at the coffee shop like he and Baekhyun does.

“Chanyeol,” a girl called out walking out of glass doors.

“Ah, Eun-je. Good to see you.”

            Eun-je walked out of her apartment building wearing a beautiful black pea coat jacket. She had woven stockings on with a shimmering dress popping out underneath the jacket. It was obvious that her clothes were very expensive in comparison to the handmade clothes Chanyeol enjoyed wearing. He handed her a small bouquet of flowers before she forcefully placed her arm in his.

“So what are we going to do today?”

“I was thinking we have a picnic on the shore and go on the rides of the boardwalk,” Chanyeol smiled awkwardly.

“But it’s too cold for that! How about you show me around your town?”

            Her eyes were massive and beautiful. When she looked at Chanyeol with those puppy-eyes, he agreed to show her Bongha. That was probably the last thing he wanted to do, but this date wasn’t about him. It was about trying to make a girl who confessed so desperately happy. Together they sat on the train trying to stay warm despite the very cold temperatures. She let go of his arm and pulled out her cell-phone reading a news article. Chanyeol looked over to see that the story was about the crazy hunt the president was still conducting. Apparently he said that he would award anyone with four million won if they find his son.

“Isn’t that crazy,” Eun-je smirked showing the article.

“He should really give up on that already. His son is a grown man by now.”

“I’d sure love four million won!”

“Wouldn’t we all?”

            They spent the rest of the way trying to fill in all the time with conversation. Eun-je truly wanted to know as much as she could about her crush. Chanyeol on the other hand could careless. She seemed like a really great girl and all, but the nerves of Baekhyun seeing the two on a date were making Chanyeol nearly sick. After answering a bunch of questions about herself, Eun-je wanted to hear more about the boy’s life. Where he grew up, who his friends were, and why he chose Pusan University. No matter how hard he tried, Baekhyun was brought up in nearly every answer. They have always been so close, and maybe she should know that. After all, Baekhyun didn’t want her to ruin their friendship.

“So I’m guessing you’re talking about Byun Baekhyun,” Eun-je asked pouting her lips.

“He’s been my best friend since birth, I think.”

“I’ve known a lot of girls who have asked him out! He always says no. I took him as a cold-hearted person, but by the way you speak of him, I guess not.”

“Baek is amazing,” Chanyeol spoke defensively. “He’s not used to love since he grew up basically alone.”

            As they neared Bongha, the more Chanyeol spoke of his hyung, the more Eun-je rolled her eyes. She didn’t want to have to compete for her crush’s attention, especially if that meant competing against a guy. There was only one way to prove to Baekhyun that she was now the one thing Chanyeol should focus on. Eun-je asked to go to his and Baekhyun’s favorite spot, which was the coffee shop. It was getting even colder since the sun was falling behind the mountains. This gave her the perfect plan.

            Once the pair got in front of the coffee shop, Eun-je instructed Chanyeol to stand across the street while she got warm cups of tea. When she got inside, she saw Baekhyun working behind the counter to help make the delicious treats. During this season, the shop was very busy and Baekhyun would get called in to help make some coffee or tea for some extra money for his pocket. Eun-je asked Baekhyun to make two chamomile teas, and then bring it outside to her. She said it was too crowded for her to stay in there and wait for the tea.

“Where is the tea,” Chanyeol asked seeing the girl come out the shop.

“They said it’s too crowded inside and they’ll bring it out to us in just a moment.”

“Oh that’s fine. We can head to the fields right after we get the drinks.”

            Eun-je turned her head to peak at the bustling shop. Baekhyun was walking around the counter with two teas in hand. He was a very handsome guy, despite her not wanting to admit that. His perfect brown hair looked so gentle against his head. She turned back to face Chanyeol and grabbed this sides of his face gently. Her cold yet plump lips pressed up against his slowly and carefully. Chanyeol’s eyes widened at the feeling of his first kiss, but closed just to not make things awkward. He didn’t want to pull away because Eun-je’s feelings would be very hurt. There was a quiet cough and a tap on his shoulder.

“Here’s your tea,” Baekhyun biting his lips and looking down at his feet.

“Thank you so much! You’re a sweetie for bringing it out to us!”

“Baek…”

“Nice to see you Chanyeol. Hope you two are having fun on your date. You make a great looking couple.”

            Baekhyun turned around and ran towards the coffee shop. He ripped off his apron and threw on his coat before running away towards his house. Chanyeol could see his best friend crying, and it nearly broke his heart straight down the middle. He went to run off and catch his hyung, but Eun-je stepped in front of him with a smile on her face. Ditching her like that would be so wrong. She doesn’t know how to get home from here. Chanyeol stared at the vision of Baekhyun growing smaller while Eun-je took hold of his hand. He wished he didn’t have to decide, but Chanyeol chose to stay with his date.

~*~*~*~*

“It’s just not fair,” Baekhyun cried on to his grandmother. “Why would Chanyeol do this to me?!”

“I do not know, dear. Love sometimes isn’t a happy feeling. Love can hurt you so much and make you very sad.”

“I-I don’t love him…”

“Then why did you come home crying after seeing Chanyeol kiss a girl? If you didn’t love him, you would not be this jealous,” Baekhyun’s grandmother spoke between coughs.

            Maybe Baekhyun really needed to sit down and think. Both Minseok and his own grandmother have said the same thing. Does he really love Park Chanyeol more than a friend? It made him sick to his stomach thinking of Eun-je kissing all over his friend, but not nearly as sick as his grandmother sounded. Her temperature was almost breaking a hundred, and she coughed for minutes at a time. She told Baekhyun to not worry and that all she wanted was get some rest. So, he went to his room wishing that Chanyeol would open the doors and apologize. Though he never came or even called. His own promise was already being broken. Someone was taking Chanyeol away from him, and there was nothing Baekhyun could do.

 

-------------------

Hi everyone (: I hope you are enjoying the story. Please continue to read and subscribe, because it's only getting better from here! There's a lot coming your way~ xoxo