Chapter Eight

Bent, Not Broken

When JungMin woke the first time, it was because KyuJong was getting ready for work. He didn't stay conscious for long, saying goodbye in a half garbled grunt into his pillow. The second time he woke, it was almost noon and the apartment was quiet. Not even YoungSaeng was home, and JungMin wasn't sure where the older man had gone. Taking a quick shower and putting on some of KyuJong's clean clothes (it was nice having a boyfriend who was about his same size), he left the apartment and headed home.

JongWoon and RyeoWook's apartment had never really been home, he had never felt overly welcome considering he was sleeping on a pull out couch. He had stayed there off and on for two years now though, and it was the closest to home he had felt since leaving his parents house as a young teen. JungMin had met RyeoWook a few years before. He liked to brag that he brought the gay out in RyeoWook, but really he had taken the younger man under his wing and helped him through a rough time in his life.. He would always have a soft spot for RyeoWook, even if they would never work as a couple, RyeoWook was his best friend.

Which was why it had hit him so hard when he saw RyeoWook's face the night before, how shocked and disappointed he had been in JungMin. JungMin would do anything to make things right between them, because he couldn't be without his best friend. Outside the apartment building, JungMin pressed the call buzzer to the apartment. He was pretty sure RyeoWook would be home today, he just hoped JongWoon wasn't.

RyeoWook and JongWoon had managed to clean up a good amount of the mess the night before, but they'd both been exhausted and retired for the night before finishing completely. So that had been what RyeoWook had been working on that morning, scrubbing down the floors, washing the couch cushions, and opening the windows to let the fresh air in. He was a self-admitted neat freak, and cleaning kept him busy and not thinking about anything other than getting all stains off of fabric and glass.

Reassembling the couch he'd taken apart, RyeoWook looked up at the phone ringing. JongWoon wouldn't have used the buzzer, unless he forgot his keys again. Standing, he walked over to the phone and picked it up. "Hello?"

"Wookie, it's me, please don't hang up," JungMin said, quickly. "I really... really need to talk to you. Can I please come up?"

"…JungMin," RyeoWook's eyes narrowed, and he was tempted to hang up anyways. He knew JongWoon would have, wouldn't even have given JungMin time to ask the question. "What do you want? Who's with you?"

"No one, it's just me... I want to talk to you, and apologize," JungMin said. "I screwed up last night, and I need to make it up to you."

Exhaling slowly, RyeoWook closed his eyes and prayed for patience. "…Okay, fine. Door's open." He pressed the button on the phone to unlock the front door before hanging up.

Breathing a sigh of relief, JungMin opened the front door and headed to the elevator. He was fidgeting with impatience the entire ride up. He hoped RyeoWook wasn't just going to slam the door in face once he got all the way up there, but he wouldn't honestly blame him for it. Getting off at the right floor, he approached the door warily before knocking.

The door opened a moment later, RyeoWook pulling it open and looking up at JungMin with an unreadable expression. "You're lucky JongWoon's out." He stepped aside to let JungMin in.

"Yeah... I was kind of hoping he wouldn't be here," JungMin winced, stepping into the apartment. He tried not to look towards the living room, remembering what it was he was doing last night. "Wookie I'm really sorry... I know I haven't been myself the past few days and last night... there's no excuse for what I did."

"No, there isn't," RyeoWook shut the door after JungMin before stepping back. "The alcohol and all-night parties were bad enough, but drugs?" Though RyeoWook was keeping his voice down, his tone made it worse than yelling. "In our home to boot?"

JungMin hung his head, feeling like he was about two inches tall at that point. "I know, and I wish it had never happened. I only invited them over to have a drink, we weren't supposed to stay we were supposed to go out and...." He shook his head and looked up at RyeoWook. "After I left, KyuJong called me. JongWoon had called him? Just hearing his voice, made me realize how stupid I was acting. I'm sorry Wookie, I really am."

"I don't know what you expect me to say, JungMin," RyeoWook looked away. "I can't forgive you right now, not after that. We trusted you in our home…You're my friend. I just can't believe you could do something like that to yourself, and to us. What happened to talking to friends when you're having problems?"

JungMin blew out a small sigh, leaning up against the door. "Cause at the time I didn't really want to talk about anything. Wook I've never gone through anything like this before. I've never been in love with someone so much that them leaving hurt so much. I just didn't want to hurt anymore. But then I hurt everyone around me who I love. I don't know if you'll ever be able to forgive me, and I understand if you don't. But I'm going to put my life back together. No more parties, no more drinking. I'm going to be with KyuJong, and I'm going to love him and be the kind of boyfriend he needs. And I hope that some time in the future I can be a friend that you can count on again. That you can trust me."

"If you can show me that you're someone I can count on, then we'll talk about it. You're going to have to work harder to convince JongWoon though." RyeoWook folded his arms across his chest. "Are you even going to be able to stop completely? Drugs are addictive, and you're always drinking and partying."

"I don't need them, I didn't even want them in the first place," JungMin said. "I can't keep living like I'm a teenager, not if I want things with KyuJong to work. I made him a promise that I was done, and I intend to keep it. I love him too much to give up on what he and I have." He looked up at RyeoWook with a sad smile. "I don't think I'll ever be in JongWoon's good graces though, but I'll prove to you both that I mean what I say."

RyeoWook nodded. "Focus on KyuJong first; maybe he can transfer some of those good habits to you. Though if he manages to bring you to church, then I'll know he's putting something in your food. Even I couldn't do that."

"Yeah well, I don't see that ever happening," JungMin chuckled. "Um.. I'm gonna grab my stuff then and go. I'll try and keep in touch though, let you know how I'm doing."

"You better." RyeoWook stepped back out of his way. "And if you mess this up JungMin, I'll find you and kick your myself. Just so you have ample warning."

"I can't mess this up Wook," JungMin said, shaking his head. "I never wanted to be with someone like I want to be with KyuJong. It's like what you and JongWoon got. I don't know how, but you two are so perfect together... I want that for me and Kyu."

"Don't forget that whenever you get into arguments. JongWoon and I argue all the time, it's healthy." RyeoWook watched JungMin. "I hope you can straighten yourself out, Min. I don't want to have to find a best man JongWoon won't strangle."

JungMin blinked at that, stopping in the hallway and turning around. "What? What do you mean best man?"

RyeoWook's lips quirked slightly and he held up one hand, the engagement ring visible. "It turns out JongWoon actually had a reason for kicking you out a couple nights ago."

"...Wookie," JungMin's eyes lit up, and without even thinking closed the distance between them, wrapping his friend in a hug. "Congratulations Wookie, I'm so happy for you."

Squeaking, RyeoWook hugged JungMin back. "I wanted my best man to be the person who helped me believe it's okay to be gay, and who listened to me when I felt not even God would listen to me anymore. Get better, Min."

"I will Wookie, I promise," JungMin said, hugging him tightly before pulling back. "I want to be able to stand up with you when you get married... I'm so proud of you. You have come such a long way from that scared kid who thought you were going to hell just for having those... how did you put them? 'Wicked thoughts'?" JungMin chuckled. "Now look at you, getting married.... Have you told your parents yet?"

RyeoWook's expression fell. "No. That'll be soon though. Not that I don't already know what their reaction will be." He sighed and put on a smile again. "Get your stuff, JongWoon will be home soon and as amusing as it would be to watch him chase you out with a broom…"

"Are you going to tell him I stopped by?" JungMin asked, going back down the hall to the guest room. It was a good thing he really didn't have that much stuff, just his duffel bag of clothes and a few odds and ends so it wouldn't take him long to pack up.

"Depends on his mood," RyeoWook replied, leaning against the wall of the hallway and watching. "I'll tell him I gave you hell and made you scrub the floors as punishment."

Stuffing his books and what few CDs he had in his duffle bag, JungMin slung it over his shoulder. "If it'll help, I really will scrub the floors if you ask me to. Whatever it is you want me to do to make up for what I've done, I'll do it."

"I already finished the floors, and the couch, and most of everything else," RyeoWook sighed. "And it's completely cured me of any desire I may have had to ever throw a house party."

JungMin deflated a little at that, looking like a kicked puppy. "I really am sorry Wookie. If there's anything I can do in the future, don't hesitate to call. I'll come running."

"I'll remember that. Go, shoo," RyeoWook motioned at JungMin. "Don't keep KyuJong waiting."

"Bye Wookie," JungMin nodded, heading for the door. He felt a lot better once he was back out on the street, glad to have been able to talk to RyeoWook. It was obvious he hadn't completely been forgiven by his friend, but he was making a good start to get there. For now, it was enough.

When he returned to KyuJong's apartment, YoungSaeng was home and working on his laptop at the kitchen table. JungMin didn't really like the look the man gave him over his glasses, obviously KyuJong had told him about what happened. Just another person he had to prove to that he was going to do the right thing. Instead of staying in view of YoungSaeng's stare, he retreated to KyuJong's room to wait for him to get home.

KyuJong arrived back home a couple hours later; he took the early shift at work since he was usually up at the crack of dawn anyways. At least he got to go home early. Bag slung over his shoulder, he headed up the stairs and tried not to fret too much about what he'd find when he got home.

A large part of him was worried JungMin would have changed his mind, and wouldn't be there where he got home. He didn't know what he'd do if that was the case. Chewing on his lower lip, KyuJong quickened his pace.

Opening the door, he smiled tensely when he saw YoungSaeng at the table. "Hey, Saeng. Have a good day?"

"Mhm..." YoungSaeng nodded, though he didn't look up from his laptop. "I think your boyfriend is hiding from me. He's been in your room for like two hours now and hasn't come out."

"If you're glaring at him, that might be why," KyuJong's lips quirked, feeling a wave of relief. "I'll be back to make dinner soon." He slipped off his shoes and went to his room. "Min?"

Sprawled out on the bed, JungMin was flipping through a magazine and perked up when he heard KyuJong. "Hey," he said, sitting up.

"Hi," KyuJong smiled widely, placing his bag down. "Sorry to keep you waiting…how was your day?" He walked towards the bed.

"Pretty okay actually," JungMin said, smiling up at him. "I talked to RyeoWook... and he's not happy with me, but I think he'll forgive me eventually. I don't know about JongWoon, but he's never really liked me anyway. What about you?"

"That's good," KyuJong sat down on the edge of the bed. "I had a usual day…nothing that interesting ever happens at a grocery store," he chuckled, looking over at JungMin. "I'm glad you talked to Wook, though…he means a lot to you."

"He does, he's my best friend," JungMin nodded. "So... I think we should probably talk about some stuff. I know you said it's okay for me to stay here, but is that a good idea if we're going to take things slow? I don't want to presume anything."

"Where else would you go, Min?" KyuJong shook his head. "I'm fine with you staying here, and Saeng'll be fine with time. I can't say we'll be sleeping together right away…" he quirked a small smile at the younger man. "But I'm not kicking you out."

"When I said take it slow, I meant it," JungMin said. "I want us to go on real dates, not just to the club so you can watch me work. I want to build up to a real relationship... something we didn't do before. Maybe... it's time I grew up and found my own place. Actually stay in one place for a while. I think I need that."

KyuJong watched JungMin's expression. "If that's something you want to do…okay. But you can still stay here in the meantime. Do you make enough for your own place?"

"If I work at it more, yeah, easily," JungMin nodded. "I've got some money saved up for a down payment at least. I just want to be able to say I did everything right this time, and that... you have a boyfriend you can be really proud of."

"I'm already proud of you," KyuJong smiled up at JungMin, covering JungMin's hand with his own. "For trying so hard. Is there anything I can do, to help?"

"No, I really need to do this on my own," JungMin said, putting his hand on top of KyuJong's. "I want to take you out tonight, on a real date. Is that okay?"

KyuJong's eyes slowly widened. "Tonight?" Meeting JungMin's eyes, his cheeks flushed and he nodded, smiling widely. "Yeah, of course…That would be…I can't remember the last time I went on a date."

"And that's a shame, because I should have been taking you out on dates all the time," JungMin said. "I mean it, I'm doing it right this time. There's more to being in relationships than just ... right? I want us to have a real relationship, and not just coming home to roll around in bed and not really talking or spending time together."

"I want that too," KyuJong smiled. He scooted back onto the bed more to sit beside JungMin, resting his head on the younger man's shoulder. "There's a lot to a relationship…I want to be able to share so much with you, though I'm a little worried once we do you'll find me too boring."

"Not possible," JungMin chuckled, hesitantly putting his arm around KyuJong's waist. "You're too cute to be boring. I could watch you talk for hours and never get tired of it."

"Just watch?" KyuJong smiled. "We've never actually just talked conversationally, have we?"

"Not for long periods at a time, no," JungMin shook his head. "I'll admit something... the way you talk, and how animated you get when you get excited about something... it's kind of a turn on. Probably why we never end up talking for long."

"Oh," the older man chuckled. "Does that mean I should try to be less excitable?" He made himself comfortable against JungMin.

"Absolutely not," JungMin said, shifting to lean back against the headboard, keeping KyuJong close. "It means I'll need to practice restraint and not tear your clothes off every chance I get."

"That'll be interesting." KyuJong closed his eyes, resting. He felt better than he had in days. "I don't actually know that much about you…besides being a very cute DJ."

"Then we get to get to know each other," JungMin said with a small smile. "What is it you want to know about me?"

KyuJong took a moment to think about that, playing with JungMin's fingers. Eventually he wanted to know everything about the younger man, but if this went well, they'd have a while for that. "Are you from around Seoul? Your parents?"

"Yeah, I'm a Seoul person," JungMin chuckled. "I grew up here, lived here my whole life. Never really wanted to live anywhere else either. I love being in the city. What about you? What made you come to Seoul?"

"I'm from Jeonju," KyuJong's lips quirked. "It's…different from here, a lot more small-town. I came here to save up money so I could go to university, but things didn't really work out."

"No? What happened?" JungMin frowned.

"Expenses, not making the entrance exams, the usual." KyuJong shrugged. "I thought about giving up and going back to Jeonju, but I don't want to quit so easily."

"You're not one to give up," JungMin said. "And I for one am glad you didn't go back to the country. I like you right here."

Smiling, KyuJong burrowed himself against JungMin's side, eyes staying closed. "I'm glad I didn't go back too. Seoul's…colder than back home, but there are good things here too."

"Yeah, like me," JungMin chuckled. "Maybe one day you can take me back to your hometown. Your parents still live there?"

"Yeah," KyuJong smiled wider. "And my little sister. She visits sometimes when she has the time. I'm not exactly…out to most people there, but my parents and sister know, and they're fine with it. I think mom will adore you."

"You're lucky your parents are so supportive," JungMin said. "It's not something you run into often. My friend Wookie still hasn't told his parents cause he's afraid of what they would think... Oh, JongWoon asked Wookie to marry him."

"…What?" KyuJong's eyes opened and he looked up at JungMin in surprise. "That's fantastic! I'll have to congratulate them, they're so cute together," he grinned widely. "Do your parents know, JungMin?"

"...Yeah," JungMin nodded, looking away. "Yeah they know."

"…Oh." KyuJong's gaze became concerned at the tone in JungMin's voice. "I guess…they didn't take it that well."

"To them, they reacted perfectly normal," JungMin said, shrugging a little. "It's okay to kick your fifteen year old son out because you found him kissing his best friend in his room."

KyuJong's lips parted in shock. "Oh…Min…I'm sorry." His arms wrapped around JungMin's middle. "I'm sorry you had to go through that."

"It's okay, I gave up being resentful of it a long time ago," JungMin said with a sad smile. "My parents are close minded and not even their own child can change their minds. I was luckier than a lot of kids and I found a network of people to help me. I'd consider people like RyeoWook family over my own any day."

Returning the sad smile, KyuJong lifted one hand and ran his fingers lightly through JungMin's bright red hair. "I'm glad you have people like him…maybe one day you'll have my family too."

"I'll work up to that," JungMin said, looking into KyuJong's eyes. "Would it be too soon if I tried to kiss you?" he asked softly.

"No," KyuJong's gaze softened. He leaned in, brushing his lips gently against JungMin's.

JungMin returned the kiss, but pulled back before he was tempted to do much more than that. "So... maybe we should get ready and go, have a nice dinner?" JungMin said, tracing a finger over KyuJong's cheek. "I don't think laying in bed all evening is a good idea right now."

"Probably not," KyuJong chuckled. "I'm just going to get changed out of my work clothes, then we can go? Oh, and I have to tell Saeng he's on his own for dinner."

"Alright, sounds good," JungMin smiled, and he couldn't help himself to lean in for another quick kiss. "I'll go wait out in the living room, hopefully I won't melt under YoungSaeng's glare..."

"I won't take that long, you'll just be a little soft around the edges," KyuJong chuckled, returning the kiss before disentangling himself from JungMin on the bed. Standing, he went to his dresser and pulled it open, searching for something nice enough to wear on a date.

Leaving the bedroom, JungMin made himself comfortable on the living room couch. He tried to ignore the fact that YoungSaeng was in the other room, craning his neck out to glare at him some more. Obviously KyuJong and YoungSaeng had talked about the breakup, and possibly the reason why he was at the apartment now. But the older man didn't seem like he was going to say anything, which was to JungMin's relief. He could handle the glares and the looks, he just didn't want to get into an argument with KyuJong's best friend. That wouldn't go well.

KyuJong didn't take long changing, making sure he looked presentable before leaving his bedroom. He gave JungMin a small smile before heading to where YoungSaeng was in the other room. "Hey, Saeng? Min and I are going out for dinner."

"...Alright, be careful Kyu," YoungSaeng said, looking up from his laptop. "Your cell phone charged? Don't hesitate to call if you need help," he said, his voice lowering. "I mean it."

"My phone's charged," KyuJong's lips formed a bit of a frown before he smiled again. "We'll be fine. See you later tonight, are you just working on the article now?"

"Yes, I'm going to order some take out and then probably merge with the couch later and watch some tv," YoungSaeng said, taking off his glasses and rubbing at the bridge of his nose. "Have fun, Kyu."

"You too, don't work too hard," KyuJong chuckled. He turned and headed back to where JungMin was, smiling widely. "Okay, I'm ready."

"Let's go, you can pick the restaurant," JungMin said, going to the door. "Bye Saeng, try not to have too much fun!" he waved, earning himself a frosty look from the older man.

Once they were gone, YoungSaeng slumped over the keyboard, groaning in frustration. The article wasn't going well at all, considering he had very little idea what direction to lean towards. This was a nightmare of a piece, and not something a struggling gay man wanted to think about when he was still trying to figure out who he was.

Blinking a little, YoungSaeng sat up again, looking at the screen. Maybe KyuJong had been right, maybe it was the perfect subject to write about. Smiling a little to himself, he opened a new file and started to write.

 

 


 

Mianhe for the slightly-late update >< Didn't have a chance to update friday or saturday.

Please subscribe, upvote and/or comment if you enjoyed the chapter!

 

@Forest_pixi: Lol google translated it...decently xD There were a couple of wonky sections but I caught the gist of what you were saying. As for KyuMin's stupidity...well...people are stupid when they're in love ;) And omg so many rare pairings...LOL Will have to see how many of those I can convince Kat to write...we've been doing more the standard pairings lately, taking a bit of a break from rare pairings xD Or pairings that we've made canon... /eyes Wonder Twins

@ping501: You know us too well, that's why you're worried ;D Cause you know we're mean to our characters~~ kekeke. And poor SungMin, so mistrusted in every fic xDD

@LovelyYS: Awww sorry for making you cry!! /hugz

@tehreem: Lolol you're....probably right /o\ Still got some more chapters to go before this ends

@Forever5501: Have a good vacation!!! :D And lolol JungMin should be very scared of your wrath xDD