Chapter Five

Bent, Not Broken

They'd picked that night to go to Itaewon. YunHo had called and said he had to be somewhere right before, so he'd meet them outside the club they'd picked the day before. It was one of the calmer clubs in the district, since none of them were really hard partiers. KyuJong also thought he'd have more than enough trouble keeping YoungSaeng from over-drinking as it was. Or panicking and bailing last-minute.

"How're you feeling?" He asked as they waited for their subway stop, arm around YoungSaeng's shoulder reassuringly.

"Like I'm going to throw up," YoungSaeng said, hugging his arms. "Don't you have other gay friends I can talk to instead of having to dive right into the club scene? What about JungMin's roommates? They're gay right?"

"Yeah, but your editor was looking for the culture in Itaewon specifically, wasn't he?" KyuJong shook his head. "It'll be fine Saeng, you'll be fine at the place we're going. We'll just stay for an hour or two then head home."

"Okay, just... don't let me drink too much," YoungSaeng said. "And if I look like I'm in trouble, save me."

"That goes without saying," KyuJong rubbed his hand along YoungSaeng's arm. "Just take deep breaths, and try to relax. Take in the atmosphere. That's the whole point of us going, right?"

"I guess," YoungSaeng shrugged. "I don't know how well I'm going to do if I've got YunHo breathing down my neck. I wish he wasn't coming..."

"If it doesn't go well, we'll find some reason not to bring him along next time," KyuJong frowned. He looked up as their stop was called. "That's us, let's get going." He stood up, holding onto a railing as the subway came to a stop.

Getting to his feet, YoungSaeng followed KyuJong out of the train car and out onto the platform. It was relatively early in the evening, most people heading home. YoungSaeng hadn't wanted his first experience in a club to be at it's busiest time, but there was no way of knowing how long they'd be out for. A couple of hours can go by quickly if you're not watching the time.

Up on the street, YoungSaeng looked up and down. "So where is this place?"

"Not that far," KyuJong nodded up ahead, linking his arm with YoungSaeng's to walk in that direction. "I don't see YunHo outside…do you want to head in and get a feel for the place before he shows up?"

"Yeah, and get a couple drinks in me to settle my nerves," YoungSaeng said, looking around as they walked. "How is it you met a DJ who works in a club if you don't like going to clubs?"

"I was dragged out by some of my coworkers, and saw him while he was working," KyuJong sighed. "I thought he looked cute, and when I recognized him at the grocery store I tried talking to him."

"Which surprises me, you don't approach people very often like that," YoungSaeng said.

"Hey, I like chatting with people while working," KyuJong shrugged. "I'm not really going places or doing anything interesting, working at a grocery store, but I like small talk. Keeps me sane."

"So you two hit it off pretty quickly I take it then, because one minute you were single and the next JungMin was sleeping over pretty much every night," YoungSaeng said.

"Can we not talk about this?" KyuJong frowned at YoungSaeng as they arrived outside the club.

"Why not?" YoungSaeng frowned right back at him. "You know, maybe analyzing your relationship to see where it went wrong could be helpful. If you know what wasn't working, can avoid it the next time."

"I said I don't want to talk about it." KyuJong stopped walking. "Is this what I'm going to get for coming out here to help you, because if so I'm just going to go."

YoungSaeng stopped as well, crossing his arms over his chest. "I'm not trying to upset you Kyu, I just think you really need to talk about it. You're refusing to deal with what happened just like I've been refusing to admit to myself who I am. I think you need this night out more than you realize because it sure as hell wasn't about you the last time we went out."

"And I was perfectly fine with that. But I'm not fine with you continuing to push me even when I tell you to stop." KyuJong took a step back, definitely upset now from his expression. "The club's right here. Have fun."

"... Fine, go home and throw yourself a pity party," YoungSaeng said, throwing his hands up in exasperation. "Far be it for me to worry about my best friend."

KyuJong's face shadowed over at that, lips pressed into a thin line. He looked like he was considering saying something before just turning around and heading back the way he'd came, leaving YoungSaeng standing alone outside the club.

"Kyu! Please, don't leave me here!" YoungSaeng called after him, but he knew it was useless. He really hadn't meant to upset KyuJong, but he had and now he wasn't sure what to do. He couldn't go into the club on his own, not if YunHo was going to be there. "Kyu, I'm sorry!"

KyuJong didn't turn around, and quickly disappeared in the crowd.

"YoungSaeng?" Someone called the man's name from the other direction. A few seconds later, YunHo stopped beside YoungSaeng, a little out of breath. "Hey, you weren't waiting long were you? The busses were running late."

"... No, just got here," YoungSaeng said, sighing. "Kyu's not coming with us... guess he doesn't want to have fun. Are you sure you want to do this?"

"Yeah, why not?" YunHo was missing his ever-present camera, dressed more stylishly than he usually did. "Why's KyuJong not coming?" He blinked.

"Because I don't know when to shut up and he's pissed at me," YoungSaeng shrugged, turning away from and heading toward the doors of the club. "It's one of those days YunHo, so don't be surprised if I piss you off too."

"Don't worry about it, I've got a thick skin." YunHo followed beside YoungSaeng, hands in his pockets. "If you're not feeling up to this though, we could always come back another night."

"We're already here, and if I go home I'll have to apologize to Kyu and right now I'd rather have a drink," YoungSaeng said. Or ten drinks, whichever. Paying his cover at the door, YoungSaeng waited for YunHo to join him inside before finding a table to sit at. Not that there were that many, most of the club occupied by a dance floor.

The combination of darkness and flashing lights made it close to impossible to see, but somehow YoungSaeng managed to find an unoccupied booth along the wall and snagged it before anyone else. "Interesting place," he said, trying to be heard over the loud music.

"You've been to other clubs, right?" YunHo asked, sitting down across from him and looking around. "Doesn't seem that different." Besides the fact that girls were dancing with girls and he could see two guys kissing not that far from them.

"I've never been to a club before," YoungSaeng shook his head. "I am completely out of my element here. You want a drink?"

"Sure," YunHo nodded, smiling. "Do you? I can go get them," He shifted to get out of the booth.

"Yeah, something good please," YoungSaeng nodded.

"Will do." YunHo headed towards the bar area.

A minute after he'd left, someone approached the booth. "Hey, are you here by yourself?" The guy leaned against the table with a charming smile. "Haven't seen you around before."

Eyes widening, YoungSaeng looked up at the stranger. "Uh... first time," he managed to say. Of course the first person to talk to him was cute. "But um... yeah, I'm with someone," he said, nodding towards where YunHo was.

"Oh? Boyfriend, or not?" The man grinned cheekily. "So I know if I have to watch my back talking to you."

"....Not," YoungSaeng said, managing a small smile. "He's just a friend."

"Oh, good, I wasn't looking forward to being accosted by a jealous lover. Would you mind if I sat down?"

"Um... no, go ahead," YoungSaeng shook his head, scooting over so he could sit. "I'm YoungSaeng, by the way."

"HyunJoong." The other man sat down, arranging long legs under the table. "So what brings you here, YoungSaeng?"

"Oh... just needed a little bit of fun I guess," YoungSaeng said. "Actually... I'm here writing a story, so I don't know if you'll want to keep talking to me in about five minutes."

"Writing a story? Might have a bit of a hard time with the strobe lights," HyunJoong chuckled. "What kind of story?"

"Gay culture in Itaewon," YoungSaeng said. "Not something I actually know a whole lot about, so that's why we're here. My friend, YunHo, is a photographer. We usually work together on pieces."

"Oh." HyunJoong didn't seem to know what to make of that. "Well as you can see, a lot of it's partying," he motioned towards the dance floor. His brow furrowed slightly. "Does that mean you're straight? I'm sorry, I probably shouldn't be flirting with you."

YoungSaeng was stuck, not sure how to answer the question. His instinct was to deny, to laugh it off as a misunderstanding. But in this place, he was welcome, wasn't he? "Oh... um, no I'm not straight," he said, quietly, nervously glancing to make sure YunHo was still at the bar. "I'm not... exactly out yet though."

"Oh, I get it," HyunJoong quirked a smile, following YoungSaeng's gaze for a moment. "So you're kind of like a double agent then."

"I don't really know what you mean by that," YoungSaeng snorted. "I'm just doing my job. But um... I'd understand if you didn't want to sit with me, it'll be a little awkward."

"Well, if you're trying to get rid of me," HyunJoong chuckled, shaking his head and leaning back. After a moment's thought, he reached for his wallet and pulled out a small business card. "Here," he held it out to YoungSaeng. "In case you ever need a listening ear. We were all there at one point."

Taking the card, YoungSaeng looked at it. "Is this your cell number or the number to the radio station? I don't usually call in to let the whole listening audience know my problems."

"…" HyunJoong blinked, then laughed, shaking his head and covering his face with one hand. "I'm sorry…I've already had a couple drinks, in case you can't tell. Here." He took the card back, finding a pen and writing down a different number on the back of the card. "That's the right number." He slid the card back.

Smiling a little, YoungSaeng took the card and held onto it. "You know... I'm not really... I mean you're very good looking and all... but see I have this friend who I think... you two would look good together."

"Well, I wouldn't mind meeting this friend if that's what you think," HyunJoong's lips quirked into a small smirk. "Not that I would mind seeing you again, if you plan on coming back. I could probably help with that story of yours."

"I probably will come back... but I wouldn't be opposed to meeting with you to talk about it," YoungSaeng said. "I don't know if I will get the true sense of Itaewon just from going to a couple of clubs. Do you live near here?"

"On the other side of the river, in Yangcheon," HyunJoong replied, gaze wandering over YoungSaeng's face. "You?"

"Mm... Mapo, so not far from you then," YoungSaeng said. "Do you spend a lot of time in this club? Or do you go to different ones."

"Mostly this one, some of the others are too loud," HyunJoong chuckled. "I like being able to hear what I'm saying."

YunHo reappeared with their drinks, blinking to see someone else sitting with YoungSaeng. "Who's this?"

"Ah... YunHo, this is HyunJoong," YoungSaeng said, giving YunHo a nervous smile as he straightened in his seat. "We were just... talking about some of the clubs. HyunJoong, my friend and photographer, YunHo."

"Nice to meet you," YunHo nodded to HyunJoong with a smile, placing their drinks down.

"Same. I'll leave you both to that paper then," HyunJoong chuckled, slipping out of the booth and stretching out his arms. "Nice talking to you, YoungSaeng." He returned to the dance floor with a friendly wave.

"Bye," YoungSaeng gave a small wave as he put HyunJoong's card in his pocket. "What do I owe you for the drink?" he asked, looking to YunHo as he took his and sipped at it.

"Don't worry about it," YunHo chuckled, sitting back down on the other side of the booth. "He wasn't bothering you, was he?"

"No, we were just talking," YoungSaeng said, his lips quirking a little. "I told him I had a friend who might appreciate his number more than me though."

"..Are we talking about KyuJong?" YunHo blinked, lips quirking. "I'm not sure how he would feel about you setting him up."

"I'm not trying to set him up, I'm just... helping him with his options," YoungSaeng said, though his gaze did drift over to where HyunJoong had gone. "What do you think, should we try dancing? Or are we just observing."

"That's up to you, whatever you're more comfortable with," YunHo chuckled, sipping his drink. "You seem less nervous now though, I'm glad."

"Do I?" YoungSaeng mused, though he didn't really respond. Instead he knocked back his drink in one gulp, getting to his feet. "I need another drink... I'll be right back."

"Okay," YunHo nodded, though he looked a little surprised by YoungSaeng finishing the drink so fast after just getting it.

Going to the bar, YoungSaeng ordered himself a shot and a drink, quickly downing the shot when it was served and finishing most of his drink. Not much of a drinker, he was already starting to feel it and he couldn't really help the way he looked around at some of the other men around him. By the time he came back over to the table, he'd finished his second and was working on his third drink, sliding into the booth and smiling at YunHo. "I think... I want to dance," he announced. "Isn't that what you're supposed to do at a club?"

"True," YunHo chuckled, having finished his drink by then. He was watching YoungSaeng though, noticing how tipsy the other man was looking. "All right, let's dance," he stretched out his arms. "I'm glad I didn't bother bringing my camera."

"Why didn't you bring your camera?" YoungSaeng asked, finishing off the drink and getting to his feet. "I mean, you are a photographer and all, so why would you come to an assignment without your... thingy."

YunHo snorted at that. "Because it would probably break somehow, I have a couple months to take pictures. Wouldn't want to bust my camera on the first day." He stood as well, looking at all the people on the dance floor. Some time had passed since they'd came in, and there were more people than before.

"True, I'm sure we'll be coming out a lot," YoungSaeng said, looking up at him with a smile. "I say, we just enjoy ourselves tonight, get a feel for what it's like... next time starts the real work."

"Sounds like a plan to me." YunHo draped one arm around YoungSaeng's shoulders, steering them both towards a less crowded spot on the dance floor. "Are you a good dancer?"

"I don't know, I've never tried," YoungSaeng said, only able to walk upright because YunHo was holding him up. "But I would say, probably not. What about you?"

"I used to be decent at it, but I haven't danced in a while," YunHo chuckled, having to talk louder as they got further onto the dance floor. Getting them to an open spot on the floor, he watched the others around them dance for a moment with a small smile on his face as he started to move to the music.

YoungSaeng had never danced in his life, not in public anyway. He did his best to move to the beat, watching YunHo as he got more into it. YunHo was being modest about his dancing skills, and YoungSaeng thought about running away right about then. How could he not be attracted to this ridiculously good looking guy who could dance like that? It was a good thing he'd already had a few drinks or he would have bolted out the door right about then.

Closing his eyes, YoungSaeng focused on the music, letting himself be absorbed into the highs and lows of it. He didn't care about anything right then, not YunHo or his situation. Right then, he just wanted to turn off his brain and do whatever he wanted. When he opened his eyes, he saw HyunJoong not far away, and didn't look like he was dancing with anyone in particular. YoungSaeng wasn't even aware he was moving until he was next to him.

When HyunJoong turned around and nearly bumped into YoungSaeng, he blinked in surprise before smiling. "Hey, get tired of taking notes?" he chuckled, looking around for the photographer. YunHo hadn't really followed after YoungSaeng, but he was keeping an eye on him from afar.

"We decided that tonight was more about fun than anything else," YoungSaeng said. "And I was feeling a little outdone by dancing near YunHo, because he probably practices in secret eight hours a day and is making me feel like an idiot. I thought I'd come over and say hi."

"I hope that isn't a comment about my dancing," HyunJoong grinned, turning to face YoungSaeng properly. "You're fine, just a little stiff. Loosen up."

"I'm already a little tipsy, this is me loosened up," YoungSaeng pouted. "I'm just not made for dancing. You're a good dancer though."

"Well thanks," HyunJoong smiled. "And I see you're tipsy. Enjoying yourself?" The group dancing right behind YoungSaeng was getting larger, and HyunJoong drew YoungSaeng away from them with one hand.

"I am... this is fun," YoungSaeng said, not minding being drawn away. "I could use another drink though... would you like to join me at the bar?"

"Sure, what about your friend?" HyunJoong glanced in YunHo's direction.

"Maybe he wants a drink too," YoungSaeng nodded, looking over to YunHo and waving him over.

YunHo made his way through the crowd to them. "Hey, what's going on?" He asked, having to raise his voice to be heard over the music.

"We're going to get a drink at the bar, you want one?" YoungSaeng asked, leaning in closer to YunHo, hand resting on his bicep.

"Sure," YunHo's lips quirked, nodding. "How many drinks are you up to now?" He was obviously noticing how tipsy YoungSaeng was.

"Three? Four? Does it matter?" YoungSaeng grinned, taking YunHo by the sleeve and pulling him towards the bar. "I'm having fun YunHo, that's what's important. Right HyunJoong?"

"Right," HyunJoong chuckled, following along behind them to the bar. Getting there, he leaned against the counter and waved over the bartender, ordering drinks for them. "This round's on me."

"Well, thank you," YunHo sat down on YoungSaeng's other side.

"I think I like it here, everyone's buying me drinks today," YoungSaeng said. He perked up when the bartender placed a drink in front of him, and downed it so quickly he nearly choked on it. "Who's up for some shots?"

"I am," HyunJoong was easily keeping up with YoungSaeng's pace of drinking.

"I think I'll pass," YunHo said, drinking slowly.

"Sometimes YunHo, I think you were just born an old man," YoungSaeng said, flagging the bartender down and ordering the shots. When they were set down in front of him, he lifted his up and turned to HyunJoong. "I have a feeling we're going to be getting to know each other more after tonight," he said with a grin.

"Looking forward to it," HyunJoong tapped their glasses together before downing his shot. He seemed to know YunHo was watching him carefully, but didn't look at the photographer, shaking his head as he put the glass down and picked up the other.

"Good, I'm glad," YoungSaeng said when he'd finished his shot. "See, I like you HyunJoong, you're a nice guy. Isn't he a nice guy YunHo? He's been so nice to me, and I think he'll be great for the piece." Not much of what YoungSaeng was saying was audible, his words heavily slurred.

"I'm not sure I caught that," YunHo blinked, looking at YoungSaeng in concern.

"Well, I wouldn't mind helping you out with that," HyunJoong chuckled.

"Maybe you've had enough to drink," YunHo suggested.

"Maybe, or maybe... maybe you... just aren't having enough," YoungSaeng said, leaning a little against YunHo. "You... are such a good friend YunHo... and I'm sorry I'm not.. I'm a bad friend."

"No you're not," YunHo wrapped his arm around YoungSaeng to keep him from falling over. "I think I'm going to take him home," he looked at HyunJoong, who was watching them both with interest. "He probably shouldn't have had those shots."

"Guess not," HyunJoong chuckled. "Need help?"

"No, we're good," YunHo stood up, carefully getting YoungSaeng to his feet.

"I don't want to go, I.. want to stay and dance with HyunJoong," YoungSaeng complained, though he didn't have the strength or coordination to protest being moved. "I'm okay... reall... I'm okay."

"Come back again and we'll dance next time," HyunJoong called after them as YunHo led YoungSaeng away from the bar. "Good night, YoungSaeng."

"I'll bring you back home so you don't end up in a ditch somewhere," YunHo murmured into YoungSaeng's ear to be heard over the music. "So try to stay conscious, okay?"

"I'm fine, YunHo," YoungSaeng said, though his legs were like noodles, wobbling as they walked through the club. "I like.. this bar... but it needs to stop spinning."

"If it's spinning, then you're not fine," YunHo shook his head. He managed to get them outside into the cooler air, slinging YoungSaeng's arm over his shoulder. "I'll call a taxi, it'll be faster." They stopped out on the sidewalk so he could flag one down.

"I feel... great," YoungSaeng said, leaning heavily against YunHo. "And... I feel great cause I'm with you."

"Well that's good, I was wondering for a while if you hated me," YunHo replied, smiling as he looked up and down the street.

YoungSaeng looked at YunHo in shock, eyes wide. "Hate you? YunHo, I could never hate you. I love you."

"Hm?" YunHo looked down at YoungSaeng, but from his smile he didn't seem to understand. "Well, I like you too, so I'm glad you don't hate me."

"But... why... I couldn't hate you, why would you think I hated you?" YoungSaeng asked.

"You don't seem that comfortable around me," YunHo shrugged. "Unless you're drunk. Am I doing something to make you uncomfortable, Saeng?"

YoungSaeng's eyes lowered at that, and he wanted to say how much he cared for YunHo and wanted to hold onto him and never let go. The words wouldn't come though, the anxiety bubbling up in his throat.

Except it wasn't anxiety bubbling up, and he turned away in time before throwing up all over YunHo's nice clothes.

Stepping back just enough to avoid getting it on his shoes, YunHo winced, supporting YoungSaeng so he didn't fall over into the mess. "Definitely shouldn't have had those shots," he sighed, rubbing YoungSaeng's back slowly and brushing the man's hair back out of his face.

YoungSaeng really couldn't reply, though he felt better when he straightened back up. "Sorry..." he mumbled, eyes slipping closed as he leaned heavily against YunHo. "YunHo... I'm sorry.." he whimpered, clinging feebly to YunHo's shirt with one hand. "I.. didn't mean to. It's... my fault. All my fault."

Not entirely sure what YoungSaeng was talking about, YunHo shook his head and wrapped his arms around YoungSaeng, rubbing his back slowly. "Don't apologize, it's not your fault," he murmured. "Let's get you back home, okay Saeng? You'll feel better sleeping off the alcohol."

"Go home," YoungSaeng nodded, though he really was thinking about going home with YunHo and falling asleep in his arms. "Like this."

"Sure, like this," YunHo brushed YoungSaeng's hair out of his face again and finally spotted a taxi, flagging it down. He opened the back door and got himself and YoungSaeng inside, giving the driver the other man's address.

The ride was pretty quiet, YoungSaeng passing out against YunHo's shoulder. Luckily he passed the throwing up portion of his evening.

Arriving outside the apartment complex and seeing YoungSaeng was still out cold, YunHo asked the taxi driver to help him get YoungSaeng onto his back so he could carry him up. The security guard for the apartment complex held the main doors for him, YunHo nodding in thanks as he brought YoungSaeng inside.

Opening his eyes at a light knocking on the door, KyuJong sat up in bed and looking out into the dark hallway. Standing and going to the front door, he unlocked it to see YunHo carrying YoungSaeng on his back. "…What happened?" He stepped aside so YunHo could come in.

"He had a little too much to drink," YunHo sighed, kicking off his shoes before carrying YoungSaeng into his bedroom. KyuJong followed to get the other man off YunHo's back and under the covers.

YoungSaeng roused enough when he was laid in bed to open his eyes. "Kyu... I'm sorry," he murmured. "I shouldn't... I messed up."

"Just rest, and get some sleep," KyuJong said quietly, tucking YoungSaeng in. "You're gonna have one massive hangover in the morning."

"Kyu... I think I told him," YoungSaeng said, grabbing KyuJong's hand. "I... hope he doesn't hate me."

Blinking, KyuJong looked at YunHo beside him, who seemed to still have no idea what YoungSaeng was talking about. "I'm sure he doesn't," He said soothingly, patting YoungSaeng's hand and getting the older man to let go. "I'll be right back, okay?"

Stepping away from the bed, he ushered YunHo out of the room. "Thank you so much for bringing him back."

"It's nothing," YunHo smiled at him. "I'll go now, have a good night."

"Night YunHo." KyuJong let him out and locked the door after him, before returning to YoungSaeng's room.

Luckily YoungSaeng had passed out again and wasn't going to wake til morning. He did in fact have the worst hangover of his life, not unlike someone else across town. 

 

 

 


 

Poor Saengie had too much to drink ><

Please subscribe, upvote and/or comment if you enjoyed the chapter! Or just think Saengie shouldn't drink that much ever again.

 

@Heokvitka: I do my best to answer everyone's comments, whenever I can xD Keke glad you're liking Decerto, that was one of our personal favorite stories to write. That and it's spin-off Road to Freedom. So much fun to be had~~~

@ping501: Lol how do you think Saeng's project is turning out so far =P It's uhhh gonna be an interesting journey. I bet KyuJong would love your cooking, he needs some hugs and affection right now. And this chapter's a break from being frustrated with JungMin? xD;;

@tehreem: Lolol that basically sums JungMin up right now. Yeeeeep.

@Forest_pixi: ><;; I write replies to the comments in the order they're posted ;A; That way I don't accidentally skip over anyone. I didn't think it was possible to miss anyone with the other stories (not with 2 or 3 comments per chapter), but omg this story is popular LOL. And how far down WILL JungMin fall is the question. It's a slippery, slippery slope... Lol maybe Elmyra will come out at the end of the story. Maybe ;D Can't promise anything.

@Forever5501: Lol sorry bb, looks like you're not getting cookies this time around =P His editor's no one important. But I can give you cookies anyways cause you're adorable~~

@Knarie-bubble: I can't say anything about JungMin sadly :( He's got a while to go. Lol Welcome Home was a very fun story to write xD Especially with the Kitty Saeng. One of my friends wrote a Kitty Saeng fic, and it sparked this trend on the LJ SS501 comm for a while xD