Chapter Seventeen

Bent, Not Broken

By the time JungMin woke up again, he wasn't feeling any better. KyuJong was gone and it had been pretty much his fault he had decided. He wasn't sure what he had done to drive KyuJong away this time. Yes he had said they needed some time, but he hadn't meant apart like this. There was some breathing room, and there was KyuJong going across the country to get away from him.

All in all, it was a pretty crappy start to the day. There were so few people in his life that he could talk to about the problem. If it had been a problem with anyone else he would have called KyuJong. He didn't want to bother SungMin with the problem since it wasn't really his fault. That only left one person who JungMin considered to be a good enough friend to help get his head screwed on straight. He hoped RyeoWook would talk to him since he was pretty sure RyeoWook was still pissed at him for what he had done at their apartment. In hindsight, he probably should have called first to make sure JongWoon wasn't home, but this was too big of a problem to handle over the phone. Pressing the buzzer to the door, he shuffled nervously.

RyeoWook was in the kitchen preparing kimchi when the phone rang for the apartment door. Blinking and quickly finishing salting the cabbage, he left them to sit and washed his hands. The apartment was quiet as he padded over to the phone, the only noise coming from a radio he'd to hide the fact he was the only person home just then.

He'd gotten a couple days off of work both to finish his studies and for his coming birthday, but JongWoon wasn't around to spend it with him. He'd disappeared very early in the day, which by itself was unlike him; JongWoon was very happy sleeping in. And RyeoWook wasn't entirely convinced his fiancé had been telling the truth about going to see his parents. JongWoon was a horrible, horrible liar. And it left RyeoWook wondering if he'd done something to cause JongWoon to lie to him now. Maybe he was unhappy with him.

"Hello?" he spoke into the phone after picking it up.

"Hey... Wook, it's me, JungMin, umm... can I come up? I could really use a friend right now," JungMin said. "I really need someone to talk to."

"JungMin?" RyeoWook blinked at the tone of the older man's voice. Yes, he was still annoyed at JungMin…but this was still his friend, and something about JungMin's voice worried him. "JongWoon's not here, come up." He pressed the button to let JungMin in.

JungMin was lucky, and grateful, for the fact that JongWoon wasn't there. He was sure JongWoon had only put up with him for RyeoWook's sake and JungMin doubted he'd ever get in the man's good graces again. The first thing he did when RyeoWook let him into the apartment was envelope the man in a tight hug. "Hi, I missed you," he said, trying not to break any bones in the thin frame.

Squawking in surprise when he nearly had the stuffing squeezed out of him, RyeoWook flailed for a moment before returning the hug. "I missed you too. Are you trying to squish me to death, hyung?"

"Yes," JungMin sniffed, having enough presence of mind to relax his grip and pull back. "Are you still mad at me? Let me know so I can get on my knees and start begging forgiveness right now."

"The smell's out of the carpet, so you're forgiven," RyeoWook looked up at JungMin. The small smile on his face eased into a frown and he absently fixed JungMin's messy hair. "What's up?"

JungMin blew out a long sigh, not even sure where to begin. "I... need advice. KyuJong left this morning. He went back home."

"…Back home?" RyeoWook blinked in confusion. "You mean…out of the city? Why?"

"We had an argument yesterday, and he says we just need a bit of time away from each other," JungMin said, scuffing his foot on the floor. "I've been letting SungMin... you might remember SungMin from that night that um... yeah... SungMin approached me at work a while back and long story short he's been staying with me at my apartment."

RyeoWook frowned, looking up at the older man. "…Let's sit down." He waited for JungMin to take off his shoes before pulling him over to the couch and sitting down. "I thought you said you were done with all…that?"

"I am, and so is SungMin," JungMin explained. "He and his friends got mugged or something at his friend's place where he was staying. He didn't feel safe going back there so he sought me out cause I'm the only person he knows that isn't involved in drugs or whatever. He wants to find a job and do things right so I said I'd help him get on his feet. KyuJong doesn't like him being there at all but I'm trying to do the right thing and help someone. That's good right?"

Chewing on his lower lip, RyeoWook nodded slowly. "It's good that you're trying to help him, and not getting involved in that again. Is that why KyuJong's left though, because he's there? You didn't break up again, right?"

"No, we didn't break up... at least I hope not," JungMin said, shaking his head. "I called Kyu over yesterday to hang out at home and one thing led to another and I was bringing him back to the bedroom... except I kind of forgot SungMin was still in bed. Kyu got pissed and we argued about it. I told him I just needed some time to get some things in order, like getting SungMin a job and out of my apartment. I guess he took that as we needed time apart and called me this morning to tell me he was going home for a couple of weeks."

Listening, RyeoWook exhaled slowly as he tried to understand what was going on. It was a lot to take in all at once. "Okay…I think I understand, a little. But you need advice? Do you not think he's coming back?"

"I don't know, I'm pretty sure he will but.... he might not," JungMin said. "I guess I need advice in what to do when he comes back. This whole relationship stuff is so foreign to me Wook, I don't know what I'm doing."

"And you come to me for advice?" RyeoWook chuckled quietly, drawing his legs up to his chest. "You're the one who made me want to try out relationships in the first place. But…okay. Relationships don't have to be so complicated, you know. You have to consider how the other person feels, and talk about it. Have you talked it over with him? Not argue."

"Well... no," JungMin pouted. "It's not entirely my fault. Kyu gets mad and we start arguing, there isn't an in-between. Especially now when it comes to SungMin. I get that he doesn't like the guy but what am I supposed to do now?"

"Hyung…you talk it over with him," RyeoWook said quietly. "That's what JongWoon and I do when we get into a fight. We take a bit of time to cool down, then we come back, sit down and talk it over. He's my fiancé, but I don't pretend to know what makes him tick every single time we get into an argument. If KyuJong's upset about something, the only way things'll get better is if you talk it over and find out what's got him so riled up. You said…SungMin was still sleeping? In your bedroom?"

"Well... I don't exactly have another bed," JungMin said, shrugging. "And I don't have a comfortable pull out couch like you've got. Where else is he going to sleep?"

RyeoWook frowned, watching JungMin's expression. "But…you can see why that might be upsetting to KyuJong, right?"

"Yeah... but it's not like anything's going to happen," JungMin said, blinking a little. "I love Kyu, and I made a promise to him. I'm not going to go around sleeping with other guys or anything. And SungMin isn't molesting me in my sleep like KyuJong seems to think. We're just friends. It's no worse than if he was sleeping in the same bed as YoungSaeng, or me with you."

"You might see it that way, but does he?" RyeoWook inquired. "I trust JongWoon with a lot, but I'd probably kick his before letting him share his bed with another guy. Even in a platonic friendship way. And we're about to get married…you and Kyu just got back together."

JungMin's brow furrowed at that, looking down at his hands. "It's really that big of a deal? I guess I never thought of it like that. You know me and where I came from. Bed hopping wasn't always just about , but some nights I'd need a place to crash. I've slept in a lot of peoples beds over the years, most of them were just friends. It doesn't seem weird to me."

RyeoWook smiled sadly. "I know where you came from, hyung…I know you wouldn't find it weird, because it was a normal thing for you. But for some of us who didn't live through the same things you did…inviting someone into your bed is a very intimate thing."

"So what should I do?" JungMin asked, looking up at him. "I can't just kick SungMin out, I wouldn't do that to him. But... I don't want to lose Kyu over this either."

"You have to talk to him, JungMin," RyeoWook replied. "I'm not KyuJong, so even if I understand a little, I can't tell you exactly how he's thinking and how to fix it. Listen to what he's saying…really listen. Everyone thinks of things differently. It was the trust issues that made you break up in the first place, right? The paranoia?"

"Yeah, he thought I was cheating on him," JungMin nodded. "I've been really trying to help him with that... I guess I wasn't doing such a good job there huh?" he sighed, leaning against the back of the couch and rubbing his eyes.

"Sorry," RyeoWook sighed, patting JungMin's knee. "I think it's time you both had a long talk. Listen and try to understand how he feels, and help him understand you too. And then hopefully you'll know each other enough that the paranoia won't be as big of a problem again. That's what a relationship's about, hyung. Communicating and meeting in the middle."

"I had no idea relationships were this complicated," JungMin said with a sigh. "I'd see couples at the club all into each other and think about how they must be having all the time. that's kind of what I thought relationships were. I mean except for you and JongWoon who were born an old married couple from the start. I've never seen you two get into a fight."

"Oh, we fight all the time." RyeoWook sobered at that, reminded that he had no idea where his fiancé was currently. "Relationships are more than just , hyung. They're the best thing in the world, but they hurt sometimes too. You just have to get past the bad points together."

"That's what I'd like to do," JungMin nodded, glancing at RyeoWook. "Speaking of, where is JongWoon? He wasn't here last time I came by either. I didn't think he left the apartment very often?"

"No…he usually stays in the apartment and plays games," RyeoWook shook his head, frowning down at his knees. "He's…out visiting his parents, apparently."

"Really?" JungMin watched RyeoWook, unsure of what to make of his expression. "Everything okay Wook?"

"Hm? Everything's fine, yeah," RyeoWook nodded, gaze cast downwards. "He's just been…a little strange lately. Lying to me about where he's been or where he's going. JongWoon's a horrible liar, he won't look you in the eyes and clams up."

"Wait... we're talking about the same JongWoon right?" JungMin blinked, leaning forward. "Why would he lie? What do you think he's doing if you think he's been lying about what he's doing?"

"I don't know," RyeoWook shook his head, biting on his lower lip. "All I know is that he's lying to me, and lying about lying to me, and I can't figure out why. If I did something wrong. He's been acting this way since…" he trailed off. JongWoon had been acting this way since his parents disowned him for being gay.

"Since...?" JungMin waited for RyeoWook to finish the thought. "Since what? Since you guys kicked me out? Since he proposed?"

RyeoWook hadn't told JungMin about what had happened with his parents yet. Truthfully, he'd just wanted to forget it had ever happened, but remembering each day brought tears to his eyes still. "Since…my parents found out I'm gay."

JungMin's eyes widened at that. "Oh... ," he said lowly, putting his hand on RyeoWook's knee. "What happened?"

Biting on his lower lip, RyeoWook drew in a breath and turned his head away. "They screamed for a while, hit JongWoon, tried to drag me out, and when that didn't work they disowned me."

"Oh Wook," JungMin closed his eyes, shaking his head. "I'm sorry. I... I know exactly what you're going through. You think that has something to do with JongWoon acting weird?"

"I don't know what else it could possibly be," RyeoWook said quietly. "What if…he regrets proposing now? I mean…he didn't sign up for this, he didn't deserve to get hit or called the devil. And it's obvious his parents aren't happy with me either."

"You guys have been together forever though," JungMin said. "It doesn't seem right he would care about that.. well of course he would care but not enough to lie to over. Is it possible there's something else going on?"

"I want to think there is, but it's hard to know when he's refusing to tell me the truth," RyeoWook hugged his legs tighter. "All I have to go by is what I know has made him upset. He wouldn't have to deal with any of this if he'd decided to marry a girl instead."

"Have you asked him if that was what was bothering him?" JungMin asked. "I mean you just told me it's best to have communication so I figured you would and all... or are you making assumptions about things again."

"I've tried talking to him hyung. He keeps pretending nothing's wrong. Believe me, I'm trying…but communication goes both ways. I can't hold a conversation by myself." RyeoWook rested his cheek on his knee. "Maybe he's just realizing that it's not worth it being with another guy, and can't bring himself to say it. Maybe both of us would have been better off just listening to our parents."

"Since when did you become a defeatist?" JungMin frowned. "Look, you don't know what's going on in his head. Maybe he's actually planning a big surprise for you or something. Do you really, truly think he's regretting being with you after all this time? That doesn't sound like him."

"I don't know right now." RyeoWook shut his eyes, holding back a shudder. "I just…what they said. Is this really so horrible, hyung? Is this so wrong?"

"No," JungMin said firmly, scooting over to RyeoWook and putting his arm around his friend's shoulder. "Nothing about who we are is wrong Wook."

RyeoWook was silent for a long minute, just leaning into his friend as if trying to make himself disappear. "They said I could be fixed."

"Fixed? Like a puppy?" JungMin rolled his eyes. "There's nothing to fix Wook. We're all normal people. The sooner people understand that the better for all of us."

"I guess," RyeoWook whispered, trying to take what JungMin said to heart. But it was hard. Maybe there was something wrong with him.

He pulled back from JungMin after a moment, wiping at his eyes. "Sorry…I'm supposed to be helping you here."

"Hey, you can't always be the strong one," JungMin said, nudging him a little. "We're friends, friends are supposed to help each other out no matter what right?"

"Right," RyeoWook gave JungMin a small smile, trying to shake away the unhappy thoughts. "Do you want to stay for lunch? I have no idea when JongWoon'll be back, and I'll deal with him if he says anything."

"How could I say no to your cooking?" JungMin grinned. "Are you sure though? I don't want to get you and JongWoon into a fight over me, I'm not worth it."

"Let me decide what's worth getting into a fight with my fiancé over," RyeoWook smirked, sitting up straighter. "You're my best friend, and if you're going to be my best man, he's going to have to get over it sooner or later." And RyeoWook was still annoyed at JongWoon for lying to him anyways.

"I still can't believe you're getting married," JungMin said, shaking his head a little. "A few years ago? I would have believed it, but to a nice girl your parents picked out for you."

"I can hardly believe it myself…" RyeoWook looked down at the engagement ring on one finger. "They tried to do that, the day they found out. They were trying to set me up with a girl from my old neighborhood, and JongWoon was…sitting right there, and I just couldn't do it anymore."

"I'm sorry Wook," JungMin said, looking down at his feet. "If there was anyone I wished who would have understanding parents it would be you. You don't deserve that."

"No one does…" RyeoWook leaned against his friend, closing his eyes. "You got through it, so I will too."

"Yeah... but at least you don't have to go through it alone like I did," JungMin said, lips quirking. "You've got JongWoon, and you've got me. We're better family than they'll ever be."

"You're my extended family." RyeoWook wrapped his arms tightly around JungMin's middle, taking in the comfort JungMin had always given him before pulling back. "I have to start on lunch. You can watch tv or whatever you want, or can I trust you to keep me company in the kitchen and not snack on everything?"

"Well since we know how well that will go, I'll watch some tv," JungMin said, ruffling RyeoWook's hair before going to the couch to flop over. "I really miss having tv. Maybe I should buy one soon."

"I'm surprised that wasn't your top priority," RyeoWook chuckled, stretching out. "I'm proud of you, hyung…finally having your own place."

"It's weird, having a place to call my own," JungMin said. "I think with all the I've put up with in my life I deserve a palace but I'll take a one bedroom on the sixth floor for now."

Snorting, RyeoWook shook his head. "Good luck finding a palace in Seoul. Let's get your place furnished properly before upgrading." He headed into the kitchen to start making lunch; he'd been counting on having it by himself since JongWoon was nowhere to be found, but with company, he found his enthusiasm to be returning. Jjajjangmyeon sounded great.

Not even ten minutes passed before JungMin heard the sound of the front door being unlocked and opened. Considering he knew RyeoWook hadn't left he was pretty sure who was coming in and he scrambled up to his feet. When the door swung open and JongWoon came in, his eyes flicked up to JungMin and the surprise couldn't have been more evident. That surprise turned into a frown as he slammed the door behind him. "Wookie!"

Hearing his fiancé's voice, RyeoWook gave the noodles one more stir and turned the heat down before heading out into the living area. "Welcome back," he said, stepping between JongWoon and JungMin as he dried off his hands with a towel. "How was the morning with your parents?"

"What is he doing here?" JongWoon said, ignoring the question. "I thought I told you I don't want him in my house again?"

"Maybe I should just go..." JungMin said feebly. Considering JongWoon was standing in the way he couldn't really slip out the door like he wanted to.

"This is my house too, and JungMin's my friend," RyeoWook lifted his chin, a stubborn note creeping into his voice. As soft-spoken as he was, RyeoWook could be very strong-willed, and he wasn't going to let JongWoon kick JungMin out.  "I've spoken with him and everything's fine now. He was just joining me for lunch."

"Excuse me? No, everything is not fine now," JongWoon said. "I pay for this damn apartment Wook, and if I say I want him out then I want him out! He brought drugs here."

"Well, in my defense, I didn't bring drugs, it was..." JungMin shut himself up when JongWoon glared at him.

RyeoWook was taken aback by JongWoon's exclamation; never had the older man used the fact that he paid for the apartment against him before. It wasn't as if RyeoWook hadn't offered multiple times to help pay for the rent in the past; he was always brushed off.

Angry now, RyeoWook's hands clenched into fists. "We talked about the drugs, and it's not happening again. You're not kicking my best friend out."

"No, it's okay Wookie," JungMin said. "I'll go. He's right, I shouldn't be here right now. We'll talk later okay?"

"But…" RyeoWook looked back at JungMin with wide eyes. He'd been enjoying JungMin's company…he'd actually forgotten his worries for a while. "I don't want you to go."

"It's probably better if I go," JungMin said, shrugging a little. "I'll call you tomorrow, we can talk some more. I have to go make sure SungMin hasn't kicked me out of my own apartment yet." He wanted to give RyeoWook a hug, but considering how close JongWoon was standing to RyeoWook it would have ended badly. Grabbing his shoes he edged out of the apartment, wincing when the door slammed behind him.

RyeoWook rounded on JongWoon when the door slammed, furious. "What was that for? We were just talking! You didn't have to go and kick him out!"

"And you shouldn't be going behind my back and letting him in after what he did!" JongWoon retorted, just as angry. "I don't want him here!"

"Going behind your back? He came here to ask for advice and you would want me to have just slammed the door in his face? I wouldn't even be here if it weren't for JungMin, I'm not turning him away if he wants to talk!"

"And I'm just supposed to be okay with that? I'm just supposed to give him a pass after what he did to us? To our home? He hasn't even apologized for what he did!" JongWoon said, brushing past RyeoWook, undoing his tie as he went. "I told you I never wanted to see him here again."

"He has apologized, multiple times! And I thought this was 'your' home a minute ago. Is it my home too, or not?" RyeoWook turned around when JongWoon passed him. "Don't walk away from me, Kim JongWoon. JungMin is very important to me, and I'm not kicking him out of my life because you want me to."

JongWoon turned around, throwing his tie against the wall. "He's apologized to you! Not to me."

RyeoWook took a step back. "How do you want him to apologize to you if you kick him out?! You didn't answer my question JongWoon, is this my home too or is it not?"

"He had plenty of time to apologize to me just now but he chose to crack jokes instead," JongWoon said, looking away. "Why do you always take his side?"

"…Because he saved my life, more than you seem to understand." JongWoon wasn't answering his question. "He even stood up for you, too. Not that you care; you just kicked out the only good part of today." Turning away, RyeoWook went to pull on his shoes.

JongWoon took a deep breath, hands clenched tightly at his side. "Where are you going?" he asked, glancing towards him.

"Out." RyeoWook slipped the shoes on, grabbing his keys. "Leave you to your home." The young man opened the front door and stepped out, shutting it behind him.

 


 

Not all is well with our third couple either, it seems...

A quick update as thank you for all the people who stuck with us despite my less than stellar updating schedule. Thank you guys!! Muah <3 (I would love to know why AFF keeps changing the text size here when I'm not doing anything to change it while updating. Ah well...)

Please comment, subscribe and/or favorite if you liked the chapter!

Also, our layout's changed on our LJ comm! It hints to our next story after Bent Not Broken, which is abouttt 3/4 of the way done? Either way, posting for that will begin once Bent is completed! More info coming in later chapters!

Love y'all~

 

@ping501: Yes, Jungmin will probably never be in Youngsaeng's good graces xD;; Best friend and all that. I think it comes with the position. Thank you for the comment hun! <3

@Forest_pixi: LOL 'seducey-wucey'? You are too cute <33 You're right about these two weeks being a turning point, as for how that goes and if they manage to stay together despite all the misunderstandings, only time will tell. And good luck with end of term!! I'm graduating this year so prepping for our design grad show plus messing with my portfolio...ahhh so much to do!

@jasminscent: I think we all hope so, bb xD Thanks for your comment!!

@LovelyYS: That is a very good question, I don't know if Youngsaeng is ready for ~serious~ dating. They are adorable though ^^ Thank you!! <3

 

(I figured out how to edit chapters I coauthor. Be afraid yeonnie~)