Chapter Twenty

Bent, Not Broken

Despite having taken his short 'vacation' in order to avoid stress, KyuJong was having a hard time feeling anything but at the moment. Sitting on his bed, he tried YoungSaeng's number again, scowling when it went straight to voicemail. Was the phone off? Out of battery? Why wasn't YoungSaeng replying?

It had been a couple days since YoungSaeng had phoned him in tears, and KyuJong had gotten a hold of YunHo to check on him. Since then, no matter how often he tried calling, YoungSaeng never picked up the phone. At first he'd thought YoungSaeng was just busy or grieving and would get back to him later, but two days later KyuJong was definitely worried.

And confused. When he'd called YunHo to see if he'd gotten a hold of YoungSaeng, the other man had told him YoungSaeng had gone home to be with his mom. But that was impossible, because KyuJong and YoungSaeng were from the same hometown, and he hadn't seen YoungSaeng anywhere. A quick call to YoungSaeng's mother confirmed that her son hadn't come home. So he'd sent YunHo to try the apartment again, without luck; no one answered the door.

Truthfully, KyuJong was seconds away from packing up early and heading back to Seoul, guilt and worry pulling at him. He was supposed to be there for his friend, and where was he now? Hiding from his problems. But it would take most of the day to get back, and what if YoungSaeng was in trouble now? Scenarios were running through KyuJong's head, ranging from YoungSaeng being lost to taking a whole bottle of pills at once.

Exhaling shakily, KyuJong dialed a very familiar number and held the phone to his ear. There was someone else who had the code to their apartment's keypad.

The other end was answered quickly, a breathless JungMin clutching the phone to his ear with a big grin. "Kyu? Hey? Hi! How are you? Are you coming home?"

The sound of JungMin's voice brought a smile to KyuJong's face, even if his insides twisted a little at the excited question. "Hi, Min. I'm fine…I'm not coming home just yet, but I miss you. I miss you a lot. Have you been taking care of yourself?"

"In more ways than one," JungMin chuckled, the sound of ease in his voice. "I miss you so much. How's home? Fed up with your parents yet?"

"They've been fantastic," KyuJong smiled softly, glancing around his bedroom. It had been converted to a guest room when he left, but a lot of personal touches were still present. "You'll have to come visit one day. Min…I'm calling because something happened, and I really, really need your help."

"... My help?" JungMin blinked, brow furrowing slightly. "What's wrong, are you okay?"

"I'm fine…it's YoungSaeng," KyuJong said, looking down and chewing on his lower lip. "His dad passed away a couple days ago. I haven't been able to reach him since the day he found out, he's not answering his phone. I already asked his friend YunHo to check the apartment, but no one's answering the door, we don't know if he's there or not. Would you be able to stop by?"

"You want me to... Kyu, I don't know if that's a good idea," JungMin said, shaking his head. "I'm probably the last person he would ever want to see... he doesn't have any other friends you can call? What if he doesn't answer for me either?"

"I was hoping you'd take a look inside the apartment," KyuJong replied. "YunHo said last he and Saeng talked, Saeng said he was going back home to be with his mom, but I called his mom already. He's not there. No one knows where he is, if he's still in the apartment or not. Please, Min? I wouldn't be asking this of you if it wasn't important…I'm really worried about him."

"Wait, you don't think he..." JungMin's shoulders slumped a little. "Oh man, this really . Okay, I'll do it. I really hope he's okay and just like drinking himself into a coma. It's what I would do."

"I locked up all the alcohol before I left, unless he found it," KyuJong closed his eyes. "I don't know what to think, Min. I just hope he's okay."

"I hope so too. I'll head over there as soon as I take a shower okay? I'll call you soon as I know something," JungMin said. "I would tell you not to worry too much and I'm sure he's fine, but I know you and you'll worry anyway."

"You know me so well," KyuJong gave a quiet chuckle. "Thank you, Min. If he's there and just not bothering to answer his phone, I'll kick his for making me worry…Talk to you again soon."

Hanging up, JungMin let out a groan of frustration. He had said he would do anything for KyuJong, but this was one thing he was dreading. Nevermind the fact that YoungSaeng disliked him on principle, but if something really had happened to YoungSaeng then he wasn't sure what he would be walking into. It was not something he wanted to do alone. "Hey... SungMin?" he called, getting to his feet. "Uhhh... are you busy today?"

"I said no," SungMin's angry voice floated in from the living room, but it didn't sound like he was talking to JungMin at all. "I know it's not something you're used to hearing, but I'm done with that . That doesn't— I don't care, HeeChul!"

Pausing at the doorway, JungMin's eyes narrowed when he heard that. What did HeeChul want? Whatever it was, it wasn't good by the way SungMin was yelling, and the look on the man's face when JungMin entered the living room confirmed it. "Hang up SungMin," he said, crossing his arms.

SungMin's eyes flicked up from the floor and focused on JungMin, his lips pressing together in a thin line. "No, you listen. Where were you when I needed you, huh? You ran and left me there. Don't call me again!" He snapped his phone shut and looked like he was going to throw it across the room before he controlled the impulse, knuckles white. "Manipulative bastard."

"What the hell was that about?" JungMin asked. "I thought he went into hiding?"

"He was in hiding," SungMin slowly sat down, expression set in anger. "The only reason he bothered to call was cause he needs his fix. And I called him a friend," he snorted, covered his face with one hand.

"... Jesus, that guy is a piece of work," JungMin shook his head. "I'm glad you said no though... I'm sure he offered you money or something right?"

"Yeah. He tried to brush off the whole thing that happened too," SungMin shook his head slowly, lowering his hand. "Not listening to him again."

"What a loser," JungMin rolled his eyes. "Good riddance to him. So you want to go help me do something real quick?"

SungMin exhaled slowly, eyes closed. "I don't think I'm the best of company right now. Trying to decide what I'd want to do first, punch HeeChul in the face or wring his neck."

"Or you could punch him in the neck, best of both worlds," JungMin said. "But... Kyu asked me to do something for him, and I really don't want to have to do it alone... are you sure you can't go with me?"

"If it's your boyfriend who's asking, then I'm definitely not going," SungMin replied. "Don't need to get in even more trouble with him than I already am. Isn't there someone else you can ask who he actually likes?"

"But.. it'd be a good thing if you were helping," JungMin said, shoulders slumping. "I... might have someone else. I can try RyeoWook, if he's even home and if JongWoon will let him go anywhere with me." Fiddling with his phone in his hand, JungMin sighed a little. "I'm proud of you though, for standing up to HeeChul. It must not have been easy if he was offering you money."

SungMin shrugged a little, shoulders hunched. "That man is only out for himself…and it'll be worth it I guess, in the long run. Good luck with whatever you have to do."

"Thanks..." JungMin nodded, watching him for a moment before going back to his room. Sitting down on his bed, JungMin looked at his phone with a frown. Hopefully RyeoWook would agree to do this, because he really didn't want to have to do this on his own. Dialing RyeoWook's number, he put the phone to his ear and waited.

It only took a few rings before RyeoWook picked up his phone. "Hello? JungMin? How are you?" There was a smile in the younger man's voice.

"I've been better," JungMin said with a mournful sigh. "I really hate to ask this of you Wook, but I need your help."

"Oh?" He had RyeoWook's attention then. "What's up, hyung? Is everything okay?"

"Not really... Kyu asked me to do a favor for him," JungMin said, picking at a spot on his blankets. "You know his roommate? YoungSaeng? Kyu wants me to go check on him cause he hasn't heard from him in a couple days."

"YoungSaeng?" RyeoWook had heard the name brought up a couple times, but he'd never met the guy before. "Uh…okay. Why're you calling me then?" he asked, a little confused.

"... Because I don't want to do it by myself?" JungMin winced. "He doesn't really like me that much and Kyu's really worried about him... and I don't know if he'll be um.. well... okay when we get there."

"…Oh…" RyeoWook's voice trailed off as he took in the implication JungMin was making. "Okay…Okay, I'll come with you. Where do I meet you? JongWoon's out, I can leave right away."

"Your place is on the way, so I'll meet you there," JungMin said. "I'll call when I get outside your building... is JongWoon going to be mad you're going out with me?"

"JongWoon doesn't really have room to talk, he leaves me here on my days off with nothing to do," RyeoWook sighed. "I'd rather help out a friend than sit around bored out of my mind. See you soon, hyung."

"Yeah, see you soon," JungMin replied, hanging up. After taking a quick shower he was out the door and in front of RyeoWook's building within the hour. He felt bad about roping RyeoWook into this but he didn't know what else to do. Leaning up against the building, he called RyeoWook and let him know he had arrived.

Waiting around for the call, RyeoWook looked up when the phone rang. He answered it, smiling; even if what he'd been asked to help with was serious, he was glad he wasn't going to spend the day alone again. "Hi, I'll be right down." He hung up and stood, pushing his shoes on and heading out the door.

He made it down to the front of the apartment building a minute later, pushing out of the front doors and looking up at JungMin. "So where are we going?"

"To Kyu's place," JungMin said, pushing away from the wall. "It's not far. I'm sorry to call you out for something like this. Next time we'll do something fun okay?"

"Okay," RyeoWook agreed, walking alongside him as they headed down the street. "How have you been doing, hyung? Holding up okay?"

"I've been better," JungMin said, blowing out a sigh. "I really miss him as stupid as it sounds."

RyeoWook smiled softly at that. "It doesn't sound stupid at all. You really love him, don't you?"

"... Yeah," JungMin smirked, shaking his head. "I really do. He's the best thing that's ever happened to me."

"I don't think I've ever seen you this smitten with someone before," RyeoWook chuckled, nudging him lightly. "It's cute."

"Yeah well, it suits me I think," JungMin said, standing up a little straighter as they walked. "I like being happy like this. Beats being a prick all the time."

RyeoWook grinned. "I like seeing you happy like this too, hyung. You deserve to be happy after everything you've been through."

"I do," JungMin nodded. "See Wook, you understand me. No wonder you're my best friend."

"And don't you forget it," RyeoWook smiled up at him. "I'll be very insulted if you find a new best friend."

"Right, just like I'd be annoyed if you found yourself a new best friend," JungMin agreed. "We're not counting boyfriends or fiances though. They're not best friends."

"No," RyeoWook shook his head, taking JungMin's arm. "As much as I love JongWoon…he could never understand me like you do."

"I'm sure he'd like to... how much does he really know about you and I?" JungMin asked. "I mean... have you ever told him about how we met?"

Chewing on his lower lip, RyeoWook shook his head after a moment. "No…that was a part of my life he could do without knowing," he smiled sadly at JungMin. "He knows you're my best friend, and I'll kick his if he tries pushing you out of my life again."

"I don't really blame him though... I was kind of messed up there for a while. I wouldn't have wanted you near me either," JungMin said. "He's just looking out for you. I'm really glad you've found someone like him. I know he'll protect you and keep you safe."

Smile softening, RyeoWook chuckled at that. "I don't know what I did to deserve a guy like him. Though I think keeping each other safe will be a shared job…he's a little…well you've seen him try to fix things. Or cook."

"Yeah... he's about as good as I am," JungMin said. "It's good there's people like you out there to balance out people like me and him. Kyu's like you are... the level headed type."

"He'll keep you fed at least," the younger man smiled up at him. "I was a little worried about how you'd survive off on your own, if I'd visit and find only instant noodles in the cupboards," he teased.

"Well... maybe I shouldn't invite you over to my place quite yet then," JungMin said with a pout. "I eat fine, even if Kyu didn't make me wonderful home cooked meals every day, I eat enough to live. That's good enough right?"

"Not if you aren't getting the right kind of food," RyeoWook poked his stomach. "I'll make you containers of food while KyuJong's on vacation, someone's got to make sure you're eating properly."

"Take out is just as filling as the rest," JungMin grumbled, poking him in the arm. "I don't think you and KyuJong should ever become friends, you two would conspire together to make me a responsible adult and I don't think I'm ready for that yet."

RyeoWook laughed, twitching at the poke. "Well you're in your own apartment and not trying to drink yourself into a coma anymore, so I'd say we're making steps in the right direction, wouldn't you?"

"Possibly. This vacation of Kyu's is as much about him needing some time as it is a test for me," JungMin said. "If I can survive the two weeks without needing to drink myself to sleep, then I think we'll be okay."

"Call me up if you do, we'll find more productive things for you to do," RyeoWook chuckled, following JungMin into the subway.

RyeoWook didn't really pay attention to how long it took to get to KyuJong and YoungSaeng's apartment, too caught up in his conversation with JungMin. He really did miss talking to his hyung, and he was almost disappointed when they finally arrived at their destination.

"Is it worth it to try the intercom?" RyeoWook asked, looking up at the large apartment complex as they pushed through the front doors.

"Probably not, Kyu said he asked YoungSaeng's friend YunHo to come by and there was no answer," JungMin said. "I don't really know what we're walking into Wook.. the guys dad died."

RyeoWook's lips parted in shock, eyes widening. "…Oh dear. And he's alone up there?" He glanced past the second set of doors, the ones locked to everyone but the residents. "You do have the code, right?"

“Long as he didn't change them, yeah," JungMin nodded, pressing the buttons on the panel. He breathed a sigh of relief when the door clicked open and he let himself and RyeoWook in. "Now you understand why I didn't want to do this by myself? I'm more than a little nervous."

Nodding, RyeoWook took JungMin's hand and followed him in to the elevator. "I'm right here. Let's go see him."

JungMin couldn't help but be antsy in the ride up to the right floor. He didn't want to seem like a complete and utter chicken in front of RyeoWook, but he couldn't help how he slowed down before they reached the door and his hand trembled as he pressed the combination code for the door. "I'll go first... but if I scream, call emergency," he said, glancing at RyeoWook fearfully.

Turning the handle slowly, he cracked the door open and poked his nose in. His nose wrinkled at the smell coming from inside, but it didn't smell like death, just spoiled food. "YoungSaeng?" he called, nudging the door open a little farther. It was impossible to see, the interior of the apartment pitch black.

"Go away." A thin voice called from somewhere nearby, and JungMin jumped in surprise, his heart racing a mile a minute. Well, that answered that question.

"Saeng, are you okay?" JungMin asked, groping along the wall for the light switch. "Kyu called and told me you weren't answering your phone." Finding the switch, he turned the lights on and nearly stumbled back into RyeoWook in the doorway.

"Go away JungMin," YoungSaeng replied, seated on the floor in front of the couch. He looked like he hadn't showered or slept in days, face drawn and pale. His eyes were glazed over and red, either from crying or lack of sleep, JungMin wasn't sure which.

RyeoWook leaned in past JungMin, trying to see over his shoulder. After a moment his eyes landed on the only person in the apartment, who had to be YoungSaeng. After the initial relief that YoungSaeng was alive had passed, RyeoWook could see that the other man was far from okay.

The state YoungSaeng was in and the look in his eyes tore at RyeoWook's heart. Although he'd never had a death in the family, it was a look he knew very well. That was most likely the reason why the reserved young man slipped out from behind JungMin, taking a cautious step further into the apartment.

"YoungSaeng…? My name's RyeoWook…everyone's really worried about you."

YoungSaeng's gaze shifted from JungMin to RyeoWook and his eyes narrowed. "Who the are you? Why the are you bringing people over here JungMin? KyuJong isn't here, get the out!"

"Hey, I'm here because KyuJong was worried about you," JungMin said, frowning. "He sent over the one person you do like and you didn't answer the door so don't yell at me, or my friend."

"I can yell at whoever the I like, get out of my house!" YoungSaeng said, reaching weakly for an empty bottle next to him.

"Woah, hey, calm down," JungMin tried to pull RyeoWook back and out of harm's way. "Look, we're just here to make sure you're okay because Kyu was worried... why didn't you answer your phone?"

YoungSaeng's arm went limp and his head dropped a little, his eyes closing. "Lost it... left it at... left it somewhere," he said. "Just... go away JungMin. Leave me alone."

Hiding behind JungMin again, RyeoWook watched YoungSaeng with a small, worried frown. It might have been easier for them to just leave YoungSaeng alone, but it wasn't something he could do just then. Not seeing the state the man was in. RyeoWook didn't know about JungMin, but he just couldn't leave YoungSaeng to sit in a dark apartment like this.

Stepping back around JungMin, RyeoWook looked up at his friend before letting go of his hand and taking a step forward. He took small, slow steps to YoungSaeng, but stopped a respectable distance away, giving the grieving man his space.

"YoungSaeng?" he asked quietly, slowly crouching down. "Can I…make you something to eat?"

"... Do you know how to make kimchi fried rice?" YoungSaeng asked, looking up at RyeoWook. JungMin wasn't sure if YoungSaeng was crying again, though he looked like he might start.

"Yes, I do," RyeoWook smiled softly at him. "Would you like some?"

YoungSaeng nodded, his eyes falling to the floor. "It's all I've wanted for the past week but I can't seem to make it like he did."

RyeoWook watched YoungSaeng, not looking back to see if JungMin was still in the doorway. "I don't know if I can make it like he did, but I can get you some warm food," he said quietly, standing. "Do you want to show me how he made it?"

"... I don't think I can," YoungSaeng shook his head, drawing his knees up to his chest. "I'll just fail at it, like everything else."

"If we don't get it, then we'll try again," RyeoWook stepped closer, holding out one hand in an invitation. "There's no failing here."

"I don't think I can move," YoungSaeng said, closing his eyes. "I'm so tired..."

"Maybe you should like sleep or something YoungSaeng, you look like ," JungMin said, closing the door behind him.

" off JungMin, I didn't ask for your opinion," YoungSaeng said.

RyeoWook held back a small sigh at JungMin's interjection, smiling softly. "Then let's just move to the kitchen table…okay? You'll be more comfortable there…and I can ask you where things are without making you get up again."

"Okay," YoungSaeng nodded, taking RyeoWook's hand and getting up to his feet slowly. He wobbled a little, unsteady on his feet as RyeoWook led him over to the table so he could sit. "How is it you know this ?" he asked RyeoWook, motioning over to JungMin who made a face. "You seem smart."

Chuckling softly, RyeoWook helped YoungSaeng sit down. "JungMin and I go back a while…I owe him a lot." Making sure YoungSaeng was settled, RyeoWook turned to start gathering together what he needed. He located the rice cooker, setting it up. "We're best friends."

"... Best friends huh," YoungSaeng made a noise. "My best friend left me when I needed him the most. I don't know if I put my faith in best friends anymore."

"That's not fair," JungMin said, leaning up against the wall, arms crossed. "You know Kyu would do anything for you, he just needed some time to himself."

"And whose fault is that?" YoungSaeng replied, glaring over at him. "If it wasn't for you, he'd be here instead of you. I'd be able to talk to him."

"It's no one's fault," RyeoWook looked back at them both. "We're here now because KyuJong sshi was really worried about you. I'm sure he would rather be here now."

"Then why isn't he?" YoungSaeng said, not taking his eyes off of JungMin. "Because you drove him away. I don't give a how many good deeds you’re trying to do here to get back in his good graces, I still think you're an and I don't want you in my house."

JungMin's lips thinned at that. "Fine. You don't want me here, I'll go. Let's go Wook."

"No, he can stay, you have to leave," YoungSaeng said.

RyeoWook looked between the two with nervous eyes; he wasn't entirely fond of being left alone with someone he barely knew. After a moment he nodded. "…I'll stay. Hyung, maybe you should call KyuJong sshi and let him know his friend's alive before he phones 119 himself," he gave JungMin a small smile.

"... Alright," JungMin sighed, shaking his head a little. "I'm gonna go get a cup of coffee or something. If you need me Wook, just call." 

 


 

Awkward pause, but this scene ended up being really long and needed to be cut into two chapters xD; Speaking of, 5 chapters plus the epilogue left!

Please subscribe, upvote and/or comment~!!

@Forest_pixi: People do all sorts of stupid things when they're in pain and grieving ;; Saeng at least has a more valid reason, even if what he's doing is still stupid. Hehe I don't know what else to say cause I already replied to your comment on LJ XDD But ILY bb~~ <33

@jasminscent: We can try? ^^;; Sometimes the characters get away from us writers and just do their own thing.

@ping501: There's a lot of hurt going around ><;; orz thanks for the comment!!

@Forever5501: LOL Hug first kick second? Poor guy XDD /hugs

@LovelyYS: Saengie has some stuff he needs to work through before anything with Hyunjoong can be fixed, he's hurting pretty badly >< Thank you for the comment!!