Games?

You're Mine

 

 

 

There is no school since its teachers development day. I was not aware of the event and came to school and as soon as I saw the school ground empty I thought I had been late for the retreat. A school field trip. I cried on the stairs and prayed that Mr.Kim, my driver did not leave. He could have. I left early today so we can catch up to the school bus. 

 

“Go home!” The security guard shouts then slides the glass of his office window to block me. 

 

“What you mean?”  I nock on the window.

 

Any signs of him listening to me are forgotten as he plugges his earphones to his phone and takes a seat. He closes his eyes  but the sunlight disturbs him so he covers his face with a newspaper.

 

“Fine.”

 

There wasn’t much for me to do and although I like the library and the female workers are an entertaining company I rather get some fresh air.  So  I walk around mindlessly until I see Kris buying icecream and “casually” pretend that all along I planed on coming to the same store. 

 

“Vanilla with banana.” The cashier calls out. I rash to his side and loudly thank him for the food. Buying enough time for a certain someone to turn his head and notice me. There is no tap on my shoulder or thick voice just the odd stare of the cashier. I apologize and hurry out the store. 

 

That went well. I laugh ackwardly at myself and hope no one has seen me talk to myself.

 

There are allot of stores around the corner and I plan to check the cute ones. I swing the bag and happily the refreshing ice-cream. 

 

“Mina!” Kris' voice is behind me.

 

 

I’m very happy to hear him. Kris is popular and can charm a lady but it gets on a persons nerves when he is surrounded by women all day.  Now, I want to walk up to the girl beside him and separate the two but I can’t.  So I march to the two and hug her. Amber really resembles him. Now I see what she meant by she had a male cousin that had similar features.

 

“You guys know each other?” 

 

“Yeah” We link hands and walk.

 

We walk along the sidewalk and through the parking lot. Kris is the first to separate from us without a goodbye. I stand still not sure of what to make of his quick steps.

 

''He's just getting his car.'' Amber says as she dips her fries in the ice cream and eats it.

 

I furrow my eyebrows. Does it taste good.

 

Although amber senses my eyes on her she remains unaffected and eats. I advert my eyes in the opposite direction and watch as a white car swiftly makes a u-turn. Kris' blond hair is visible through the dark windshield and sunglasses rest on his nose bridge. The car comes to a stop and Amber and I move to open our doors. But before I get in I hear Kris asking Amber if she can switch seats with me.

 

 

''I'm showing you around so remember the buildings. OK.'' Kris says as he looks for any incoming vehicles.

 

The ride to the arcade is steady and Amber arguing with Kris is louder then the music. Shortly after neither come to an agreement SHINee’s latest song burst through the speaker and I'm singing at the top of my lungs. The two join me. Our voice cracks and laughter easing out all worries of being lost in the city.

 

'' Kris you can't rap.'' 

 

Its not entirely a lie, he can rap its just very hard to understand him. 

 

Entokape is  the best arcade in Seoul but judging from the interior design and the machines they have not being to  japan. Rows upon rows of the machines, some are identical while others have a similar design. It's crowded by elementary and junior high students and adults that like to show off to kids. The man at the front doesn’t acknowledge us as we come in, he’s probably counting down the seconds until he’s shift is over. 

 

“It's dark.” I state. Kris and Amber are counting their pocket money. Its a bit funny watching them count even though I know that both have bills incase they run short in coins. I place 10 dollars on top of the coin exchanger. 

 

“What should we do first?” I ask.

 

It seems as tough only me and Amber want to be here. Kris is busy dialing someones number, perhaps Tani.

We walk and hear the one sided conversation.

 

“Yeah, we just got here. Where you at?”

 

“Ok, we’ll meet you there.” Kris hangs up. He’s looking down at me and I feel small under his spell. Lost in his orbs. Accidently our hands brush, at first briefly then later on it lasts longer. We don’t hold hands but we don’t let go of our contact. I feel giddy and weird but I’m happy. There's also a rush of excitement when I try to hide my hands from Amber. 

 

It's sudden and brave. Amber is running to meet someone on the other side and Kris is walking slowly. Matching my pace and holding my hand, his fingers long and rough. I feel the heat rush up my cheeks. I'm not alone, Kris is looking down at the floor. Shy and crimson.

 

We let go of our intertwined hands and it feels as though it's a secret and everyone already suspects us.There is less butterflies and more panic when I sense someone drilling a whole through my head with their eyes. Luhan stares down at our hands. He saw it, he saw us.

 

True to my prediction Tani is present at the arcade, currently playing a motorbike race against Amber.

 

“Hey Mina.” Luhan lifts his right arm to greet me then shoves it in his pant pockets and coolly walkes up to Kris. The two pat each other on the back and do a bro fist. 

 

I stand in the middle and wait for someone to tell me what to do. How to act, what to say, when to talk. It’s so unsettling to be in the same air as Luhan and Annie. It’s not like the car ride where I could act on impulse, here I’m a stranger. 

 

“You took so long to get here.”Luhan says. Body against the wall.

 

“Are you two dating.” Its random and loud. 

 

Kris smiles at me and dodges the questions with another question.

 

“Oh, Nicole couldn’t make it. You know how strict her mom is.” 

 

Amber and Tani join us, they would have heard Luhan’s previous comment if it weren’t for Tani begging for a rematch. So I spend the rest of the day battling zombies, trying not to chop Tani's hair if she touches Kris one more time and restraining myself from slapping Luhan’s smirk of his face.