Girls

You're Mine

 

Chapter 4 part 2


I usually hang in the library until I’m done my homework and not at the backseat of my brothers vehicle while Sehun manhandles me into staying still so he can place false eyelashes on my eyelid.

 

“I don’t want to!”  I say as I slap Sehun’s hand away from my face.

 

“Fine.” He crosses his hands over his chest and pouts.

 

Eventually I give in but this time Minho interrupts Sehun and tells him that makeup is not needed. I release a heavy breath and silently thank my brother.  

 

“Where are we going?” I ask. Neither tell me the reason why we are driving to the north side of Seoul or why I have to worry about my thick Japanese accent. Honestly speaking, it’s not that bad. Some people understand me, Kris understands me.

 

“It’s better if you find out yourself.” The both say in sync for the fifth time. If this continues I might consider rolling of the car like a buffalo. Can buffalos roll? It doesn’t matter because I’ve had enough of Minho’s constant staring and Sehun trying to touch my face with a makeup brush. 

 

“You two are so annoying!” my voice is between a cry and a shout and my attitude is below hell.

 

Although I complain, deep inside theres a rush of adrenaline and very high hopes of getting inside the S.M football club. I hit the jackpot when I recognize the building and some of the people outside. When the car stops I’m the first to open the door and run out find the friends I made at the tryouts. 

 

“Mina, over here!” I hear Amber's voice and see her arms in the air, waiving like a kid who has just successfully convinced their mother to buy them candy.  When I reach her I notice her hair is different, its shorter and  frost white. It compliments her character. 

 

“Did you make it?” 

 

Theres a nod followed by a giggle followed by a punch to the arm followed by a congrats and finally none stop happiness. We high five and bump fist, a code of friendship. I like to tell her about Kai and Kris and how guys with a name that start with a K are definitely my type of guy but I stop myself because were  not the only ones outside the S.M building. Instead I settle for asking how her job as a barista is going. She smiles and tells me the latest gossip she has eavesdropped on, because coffee shops and costumers results in very book worthy stories. If football doesn’t work out she’s got literature as a backup. 

 

There is a bodyguard at the entrance and a couple of photographers. We smile for the camera and move to single line 7. 

 

The inside of the building is plain white but it has posters of football stars decorating the walls. My brother is in the hall of fame which to Amber’s knowledge changes every six months. Rituals, she calls it. 

 

“I’m so happy were on the same sub group.” 

 

All 17 girls introduce themselves. Then we sit and wait for our turn. 

 

“Choi Mina!” I hear my name from inside the room and leap of my chair.

 

Basic questions such as age and favourite football player are asked by a lady behind the blinding lights. 

 

“I want to be the best female football player in the history and I’m aiming to be number seven.” I smile at the camera then bow and proceed to exit. 

 

Most girls leave after their interview is over,  unable to believe they’ve made it. But I stay and watch from afar as Amber charms the camera. She is a worthy competitor, the most skilled out of all the other players.  Amber was scouted which means they want her. She will probably be officially playing club in three years. 

 

“Do you want to check out the seniors?” Amber asks as she points to the hallway to her left.

 

“Sure.”

 

The inside field is just as big as the outside one. There is a game already taking process and scouts are staring intensely at the players, jotting down names. Among all the girls number 10 stands out, she’s fast and skillful with her feet. 

 I tap Amber’s shoulder and ask her if she knows number ten.

 

“Nicole Jung, she is our age and goes to Seoul high school. Don’t you go there too?”

 

“Hmm”

 

“Do you know her?” She asks. 

 

I don’t know how to handle knowing Nicole is here. I thought she wanted to be in JYP not SM. We grew up saying we would be friendly rivals not fighting for the same spot. I can’t help but stare. I hate her. She’s always better than me. 

 

We were friends growing up but she was rude. She wasn’t as mean as the other kids but she was still a bully. Telling me that because I was fat Luhan wouldn’t like me. Because I ate like a pig he was embarrassed to sit with us at lunch. Not true, I have manners. Nicole liked Luhan and she degraded me by calling me names. I didn’t mind it though because we were best friends. Nicole had a charm. It made me forget that I could depend on others and that I had a chance at football. 

 

I never realized it, I only figured this much when I cried in Sehun’s shoulder over a boy calling me Ms. piggy. 

 

Nicole probably never liked me, our friendship was forced. Me, because I need someones attention and Nicole because her mother told her to treat me well. 

 

“I use to know her.” 

 

“Really!” Amber is loud. 

 

“You should wave at her and maybe she’ll wave back.” Amber grabs my left hand and lifts it. Before any commotion can occur I harshly push my hand down. 

 

“Sorry, its just that I don’t want to interrupt the game. We can do it later.” I apologize and take a seat. Amber follows my example and lowers her bum on the chair. We talk about how hard it will be to maintain our grades while being able to make it to all of the practices. 

 

I end up faking a call from Minho so I can leave early, in fear that Nicole might recognize me.

 

“I’ll see you next time.” I wave. I pull the hood of my jacket over my head and hide my pastel pink hair. I’m already causing people to stare at me for my accent and hair. It won’t be hard for Nicole’s eyes to wonder in my direction. 

 

Minho can’t take me home as he has business to attend to and Sehun has gone back to the university to meet Kai. So I settle for taking a ride on the bus. Seoul at night is as busy as the mornings, nightstands, drunk people, light shows. The city is alive at night and the stars decorate the sky, the clouds are grey, the wind is soft. This feels amazing. Somehow waiting for the bus to arrive is as exciting as watching Colombia vs Japan. 


Ladydream: Sorry for the late update I was dress shopping for my grad pictures. Thank you to my new subscribers and enjoy.