five

The Internship
Please log in to read the full chapter

FIVE

“I have a meeting at four, so you guys can leave then as well,” Kyungsoo announced, checking his watch. “I’m not supposed to let any of you lock up the office, so either you would have to wait for me until I come back – which might be late – or leave at four.”

“Aw, you don’t trust us?” Jongin joked. “I promise I’ll lock it well at 6PM exactly.” He laughed. “I’m joking – of course we’ll leave at four. Pfft, do you actually think we want to stay here longer than necessary?”

 

Seorin couldn’t help but chuckle at Jongin’s antics. Her eyes briefly met with Kyungsoo’s and his expression seemed to mean something, but she couldn’t figure it out. At that moment, her phone suddenly vibrated with a text message. ‘From Dumb Head Intern Do: You stay.’
It was remarkable how two words could ruin her mood. Not only was she going to have to stay late, the text sounded like a command given to dogs… She felt no better than a housepet.

 

###

 

“I’ll be back around seven, maybe eight latest,” Kyungsoo said with a sigh. He didn’t want to go to the meeting either – he didn’t really understand the discussion half the time, and he didn’t want like being in the same room with his brother.

Seorin gawked. “But my workday ends at six,” she protested. “Staying overtime was not part of the terms we agreed on!”

He raised an eyebrow. “Hm, fine – work on your own things until 6. And then after your workday ends, you can start helping me with Jackal… We did agree that you would work on my project, right?”

“You never said I would have to stay late,” she growled.

He shrugged. “I never said that you wouldn’t have to either.” He gave her sugary smile. “See you in three to four hours. Have fun.”

 

He strode casually to the meeting room, giving a smile to the secretary in front of the door when she  handed him the folder of the necessary materials. He bowed politely as he entered and took his seat which was at the left of his father.

His father was reading through the folder when he suddenly asked, “How are the interns doing?” He didn’t even look up from the files.

“Fine,” Kyungsoo answered curtly.

“Just fine?”

“Why? Were Seungsoo’s interns great?” He asked in a low, bitter voice. His brother had gone through the same training three years earlier, and he constantly had the insecurity that Seungsoo had done better.

“You know that’s not what I said,” his father replied firmly. “But clearly that’s what you’re thinking since you said it…” He closed the folder and looked at his son. “If that’s how you feel, then there’s only one thing to do; isn’t it obvious?”

Kyungsoo looked at his old man, trying not to let his confusion show too much on his face.

The corners of the chairman’s eyes crinkled as he smiled knowingly. “You go and make your interns excellent.”

 

Kyungsoo felt a new feeling of determination and burden come with his father’s words. He bowed his head slightly in respect, but just as he was about to say his words of thanks, Seungsoo came in walking through the door.
Seungsoo took his head at his father’s right, the more important side.
Kyungsoo looked at himself and back at his brother. He was in a casual suit while Seungsoo was dressed up in fine business attire. Seungsoo had two folders instead of one…
How did Seungsoo always beat him in everything – even things that didn’t matter?

He looked at the seat in which his brother was sitting – the right-hand seat. Someday I’ll sit there… The day would surely come. He’d make sure of it.

 

###

 

Seorin looked at her poster sketch for Hades. It needed a little work, but she had to admit, she thought she was pretty clever. She smiled proudly and boastfully thought, heh, Hades should have hired me.
It was a little past six, and after working hard all

Please log in to read the full chapter