two

The Internship
Please log in to read the full chapter

TWO

“It’s been a while since we had dinner like this, with my two sons,” the aging man spoke in his booming, yet weary voice.

Kyungsoo tried not to squirm in his seat – being so close to his brother made him feel uncomfortable, and they were not even half a meter apart.

 

“Hwaejangnim, is there a reason you called us to dinner?” Seungsoo asked, his voice dull and serious.

“Is it too much for an old man to ask to eat with his only family?” Their father asked. But his elder son’s cold question didn’t take him by surprise – he was already long used to it by now.

 

“Well, if you don’t have anything to say…” Seungsoo began to stand up. “I have many things to take care of, so I’ll be leaving first. Enjoy your meal.”

“Hyung –” Kyungsoo called out sharply, not liking the way the unfamiliar word ‘Hyung’ felt as it slid off his tongue. He wasn’t the most filial son himself, but Seungsoo’s disrespect and ego disgusted him.

“I haven’t heard you call me that in the longest,” Seungsoo replied breezily, his eyes dancing with amusement. “I’m glad you haven’t forgotten that I am indeed your Hyung.”

Kyungsoo wanted to throw the plate into his brother’s handsome face. But he merely glared at him coldly as he remained silent.


 

“Does every dinner have to be this way?!” Their father suddenly shouted in his booming voice as he stood up, the chair screeching as it slid against the floor.
He threw his napkin onto the table in exhausted fury and told the maids to clear the table as he left the room in a huff.

“Oh dear, looks like our Hwaejangnim’s upset,” Seungsoo mocked. He turned to one of the maids. “I guess you’ll be needing to send up a few of those antihypertensive pills.”

Kyungsoo fist curled up around his napkin, scrunching it up tightly. “There's something seriously messed up with your head,” he growled.

Seungsoo chuckled. “How can you say that to your dearest one-and-only Hyung, hm? … After all, I’m the reason why you can live the way you have been for the past 20 years.”
He placed his hand on his younger brother’s shoulder, only to have it brushed away immediately. But he chuckled once again anyway. “And keep it up – keep living the way you do – relax, drink, party.”
 

But then his voice suddenly grew low and serious.
“… Just stay out of my way.”

 

###

 

Kyungsoo sighed as he hoisted up the whiteboard on its stand. There were ten companies’ names scribbled down messily, ranging from somewhat known names to completely unknown ones.
“Each one of you are going to choose one company and come up with an advertisement. You’re going to have to actually pitch your proposal to the company, so don’t bull this,” he stated flatly. “That’s the task for this year's internship – you have a month.”

“Is there a theme?” Sehun asked. “Any rules or guidelines?”

Kyungsoo shrugged. He hadn’t bothered to about ask any details so he had no answers. “Just pick a company so I can let the marketing head know which companies we’re covering.”

 

Seorin pulled up her laptop and searched up the companies… Geumgang – shoes, Sangil – electronics, and the list went on.
She ended up picking Hades, a new sunglasses brand that was recently growing in popularity. 

It was the beginning of summer, so she would have to try and come up with a slogan that would capture the attention of many people now that they would soon be looking to buy them.
She bit the end of her pen, deep in thought. Along with all the menial duties of an in

Please log in to read the full chapter