nineteen

The Internship
Please log in to read the full chapter

NINETEEN

It was the day before the presentation, and although it was a Sunday, all the interns were sitting inside the office from the start of morning.

Kyungsoo flipped through the newspaper mindlessly while he sipped on his coffee. He was done with preparing his speech and visual aids, all he needed to do was revise it. He was just mainly here to supervise the interns and help them out if they needed. He looked up from the paper for a second to see Seorin still working madly on two computer screens. He knew that she was basically done too, but it definitely didn't look that way. It began to make him feel like he should work further on his own work.
He was just about to turn back to his speech when a short article on the righthand corner of the page caught his eye. 'Kangdo Annual Party the Biggest One Yet,' the title read. He skimmed through the lines, most of them describing the high-class attendees. But smack in the middle, it stated, 'Kangdo CEO's second son was seen with a date for the first time. Inside sources have informed us that the young lady is indeed a Kangdo employee.' He sighed, just glad that there were no photos.

As he started to read through his speech once more, he noticed a small memo on the second page. 'Good luck!' was sloppily scribbled on it with a small smiley face. He knew the handwriting belonged to Seorin's. A small smile crept up onto his face. His mouth was just about to open to call her name when he was interrupted by his father's secretary. "Sorry, Kyungsoo-shi, but your father would like to see you for a moment."
He sighed and nodded, getting up. He wasn't too curious as to why his father was calling him - it was probably nothing like usual. He assumed it had something to do with tomorrow's presentations.

 

Kyungsoo's father sat at his chair, waiting for his secretary to announce the arrival of his son. Seungsoo had told him that Kyungsoo was dating this young intern named Seorin, and he was now curious as to what kind of girl she was. After all, the son of Kangdo should be dating someone up to par. 
He hummed in interest. It was strange that his elder son was so interested in Kyungsoo's personal affairs all of a sudden. He had never paid much attention to Kyungsoo, preferring to leave him in his shadow as much as possible. But this time, Seungsoo had gone out of his way to tell him about Kyungsoo's girlfriend. He pursed his lips together with a small frown. It would be quite troublesome if both his sons were showing interest in one lady. But he knew regardless, Seungsoo would do what he had to and marry Sunyoung.

"Your son is here, sir," his secretary announced with a knock. 
"Well, let him in then."

Kyungsoo boldly took a seat in his father's leather sofa, crossed his arms, and looked up at his father, waiting for him to speak first. The CEO chuckled. His younger son had grown quite ballsy in the past month. Did he have Seorin to thank for that?

"You're working on a Sunday? What newfound diligence," his father jibed. "I was quite surprised when they told me you were in the building."
"Well, the interns' presentations are tomorrow. And I'm their head..."

His father chuckled. "Ah, so it's not because you want to be around your new girlfriend while she works?"
Kyungsoo stiffened. Had his father read the paper? Or had Seungsoo told him? It was probably both.

"She works under you, hm?"

Kyungsoo stayed silent, trying to formulate the best possible plan. If he told his father he was with Seorin, would it get in the way of getting the CEO title? She wasn't really his girlfriend anyway. It was all a lie - even if it almost felt natural at this point. And his father was one person who he knew to never lie to. Even a small lie could hurt him in the long run. He needed to keep his father's tr

Please log in to read the full chapter