fourteen

The Internship
Please log in to read the full chapter

FOURTEEN

Seorin let out the breath she had been holding as Kyungsoo leaned back onto the couch. She stared at the tissue that was currently being crumpled in his hand… He just wiped my freaking tears, she reminded herself. Why? She glanced at him – he was watching the movie innocently.

“What?” He asked casually, his eyes staying glued to the screen.

“… Nothing,” she murmured.

 

To her surprise, he clicked off the TV. “Hey!” She protested.

He raised his eyebrow and smirked. “You were too busy looking at me that you missed the end of the movie… Don’t get mad at me.” He laughed, clearly amused.

As he stood up from the couch, she asked where he was going. “My room,” he answered. “I’ll be right back.”
She nodded. Her curiosity was growing and she found herself kind of wishing she could go with him. But she didn’t dare ask if she could come along… It just seemed wrong – and could come off as slightly desperate, even.

 

She played with her phone for a few minutes before she heard rustling from the nearby kitchen. She turned around to see if it was Kyungsoo, but instead it was Seungsoo who stood by the refrigerator. His eyes met with hers and he gave her an acknowledging nod.
“It’s a surprise to see you outside of the office,” he spoke.

She nodded timidly and watched as he smeared some chocolate spread on a piece of bread. It seemed like surprisingly, he had a sweet tooth. “Is that all you’re eating?” She asked softly. “Is that your dinner?”

He gave her a single nod in a silent response.

She frowned. “No wonder you’re so thin,” she remarked, blurting out her thoughts carelessly. He worked long and hard at the company, he probably worked when he got home… and yet he had a mere slice of bread for dinner?
She picked up the remaining takeout containers and carried them to the kitchen counter. “Sorry that they’re leftovers, but you should eat this at least… Unhealthy, but at least it’s substantial…” She gave him a small smile. “And plus, you could gain some weight.”

 

Seungsoo stared at the petite girl for a few moments before realizing he had looked too long. Her candor always caught him pleasantly by surprise. He was just about to say his thanks when Kyungsoo’s voice interrupted.
“Seorin,” his younger brother called, voice stern and rough. He stood a few yards away and he was clearly displeased. His eyes flashed dangerously at Seungsoo.

“Hm?” Seorin responded, turning her head. Seungsoo noticed how her eyes and voice brightened and was instantly disheartened.

“Want to see my room?” Kyungsoo asked, surprising her with his invitation. He really disliked other people coming into his room, but he wasn’t going to let her remain with Seungsoo any longer. He didn’t wait for her to respond and took the liberty of dragging her away.

 

She was surprised at how neat his room was – it was like as if it came out of a photo in a home furnishing catalog – but at the same time, she wasn’t surprised at all… It seemed almost expected from someone as weird as Kyungsoo.
Her eyes landed on an old photo of who she assumed to be his baby self and his mom. “Aw, you were the cutest little thing!” She gushed, picking it up for a closer look.

Kyungsoo scowled and grabbed it out of her hand. He shoved it into his desk drawer. “Don’t touch anything,” he snapped. “… And what do you mean I was the cutest?... I’m still the cutest.”

She scoffed. “You’re the vainest.” She ignored his words and began looking at everything, inspecting his books and old CDs. Hm, at least he has good taste in music, she thought to herself with a small smile.

“Goddamn, I told you not to touch anything,” he groaned, trying to steal the CD back.

But s

Please log in to read the full chapter