Chapter 5

Only For A Moment

Flashback

“You have to stop seeing that boy.”

Megan sighed loudly as she listened to her appa’s stern voice. She had just gotten back from a date with Sandeul, and as soon as she entered the house, she was called into her parents’ bedroom.

“Why?! Tell me exactly why!”

She started shouting, frustrated. Rubbing her temples, she added, “And this time, don’t lie to me, appa. Tell me the real reason.”

“Damn it, Megan, I already told you why!”

She sniffed as she realized that her tears were ready to fall. Her Korean mother never spoke to her this way...things were really different when it came to Americans.

“I already told you why,” her appa repeated, walking over to her and placing his hand on her shoulder. “That boy is a bad influence-“

“Stop lying to me! Just stop!” She pushed away her appa’s hand from her shoulder and bent down on the floor. “Stop lying to me, appa! That’s not why!”

He bent down and held her roughly on both her shoulders. “I’m not lying to you, Megan! That boy-“

Raising her head, her eyes showing hurt, betrayal and frustration, she replied, “That boy, he cares about me! And you want me to stop seeing him because he’s middle class, because you think he isn’t good enough for me! That’s it, isn’t it?!” She laughed sarcastically. “I don’t believe you. You’re terrible.”

He lifted her up by holding on to her shoulders as he stated, his voice low, “You-you’re right. Megan, he’s not the guy for you.” Wiping away the tears on her cheek with his thumb, he added, “I’m sorry if you feel that way, dear, but this is what’s best for you.”

“You don’t know what’s best for me,” she answered back sharply. At this moment, she forgot everything about being respectful, the most important value in her Korean culture.

“I may not know what’s best, but I know that that boy isn’t going to be beneficial to you. What can he give you? What can he provide?” He was shooting questions at her, making her uncomfortable. “Give me a reason to allow you to date him.”

Tears continued to roll down her cheek. “He loves me.”

“Loves you?” Her appa echoed, disbelief ringing through his voice. “Love won’t give you money. Love won’t give you a house. Love won’t give you a car.”

She scoffed, her heart breaking.

“But I don’t need all that! He loves me, and thatis all i need.”

_____________

Two weeks later

Megan’s POV

“Mhmmm.”

I stretched my arms out widely as I yawned. Someone beside me groaned, and I turned my head to see Minwoo’s angelic face next to my outstretched arm. I ran my hand through his hair as I whispered, “Sorry for hitting you.” He murmured something I couldn’t understand and I laughed.

He’s such a little angel.

I spent a few more minutes in bed before finally deciding to get up. Minwoo’s cheek with my long fingers, I brought my face near his ear and whispered lovingly, “Thank you for last night.”

I finally got up from bed and head straight to the bathroom. Looking into the mirror, I observed my face. I look tired...worn out. It must’ve been because of last night. I quickly washed my face and brushed my teeth as I heard my stomach grumbling.

“Good morning.”

I greeted the other Boyfriend members as soon as I got out. They were all perked up and eating breakfast, and I could feel their high energy all throughout the room.

“Noona! Good morning! How are you feeling?”

Kwangmin walked over to me and handed me a plate with pancakes. I smiled as I noticed the happy face that was drawn on the pancake with chocolate syrup.

Giggling, I replied, “I’m feeling much better, thank you. I’m really sorry I barged in last night.” I scrunched up my face. “I feel so guilty that I did that! I must’ve disturbed all of you.”

“Don’t worry about it,” Donghyun oppa remarked, walking over to me and giving me a hug. “You’re family, and if necessary, we’ll accommodate you everyday.” I laughed as I took a bite of the pancake.

“I hope that won’t happen!”

___________

 

Flashback

Megan, please talk to me.

She quickly read the message on her phone then immediately threw it back on her bed.

Megan, please. Let’s just talk.

I really want to talk to you. I need to clarify things. Please.

Reading the messages, she started to tear up. She wanted to talk to him, of course. She had missed him, everything about him. Two years wasn’t enough time to forget about him. She admitted it to herself...she had lied to her heart.

Can I at least call?

I’ll call even if you don’t pick up. I just hope you do.

Her heart started racing as she saw her phone light up. Junghwan, no. She kicked the table, frustrated that she didn’t know what to do. I’ll leave it to voicemail. I don’t want to talk to him yet.

She waited a few more moments until the call stopped. Checking her phone a few minutes later, she saw that he had left a message in her voicemail inbox. She breathed in heavily before clicking play.

“Megan? It’s San- I mean, Junghwan. I don’t know if you just don’t have your phone or if you’re ignoring me, but I wish we could talk. I really, reallywant to talk. I still don’t understand what happened two weeks ago, and I really want to talk about it. I’m really confused...and hurt. Please. Text me back, or call me, I don’t know. Just, get back to me, I beg you-“

“Oppa?”

Megan sat up quickly when she heard a familiar voice included in the voice message.

“Oppa, we’re going to be late for dinner. Let’s go.”

“Jess, can’t you see I’m doing something?” Megan sensed the frustration in Sandeul’s voice as her face scrunched up. “Anyway, yeah, please do get back to me. I...I...”

She breathed in heavily, awaiting what he was going to say.

“I miss you.”

Picking up her phone quickly, she dialed Minwoo’s number. “Minwoo,” she started, her eyes filling up. “Can I please come over? And...can I...stay over? Please."

___________

"Noona, hold my hand."

Minwoo motioned to Megan as he held his hand out in front of her. She chuckled as she replied, "Waeyo? I'm fine, Minwoo-ya." He frowned as he answered her, "You made me lose three hours of sleep last night. I comforted you and made you feel better. Humor me." He dangled his hand in front of her again.

"Please, hold my hand." She finally gave in as he was smiling at her. Aigoo, so irresistible. They continued to walk on until they reached the building where the staff, B1A4 and Boyfriend would meet up before going on location to the next shoot. 

"Is everyone here?" The director started looking around, taking a headcount. "Okay, seems like we're all here. Let's go." Looking up at the dark clouds, he added, "Thank goodness the shoot is indoors."

Everyone started boarding their respective cars until Youngmin called out from inside the car, "Minwoo! There's only space for one more person here! You and noona won't both fit inside."

Looking around, Minwoo asked Megan, "How will this work, noona? I need to be in the car with the others to discuss the shoot. Maybe you can ride with one of the staff members? Come on, let's see-" As Minwoo reached for Megan's hand to bring her to the staff, someone suddenly held on to her other hand. 

"I've been briefed already. I can take her in my car."

Megan turned around and was shocked to see that it was Sandeul, tightly gripping her wrist. "It's okay, we can find someone else." She pulled her arm away as she turned to Minwoo. "Let's go."

"There's no one else. Everyone is already set to go, and there's no more space in the staff car. I have my car. You can ride with me," Sandeul insisted, his expression softening.

"No, it's okay. We'll find someone, hyung." Minwoo tried his best to be respectful without being too nice. Having Megan explain what had happened between them just the night before, he couldn't find it in him to be sickly nice.

Sandeul pointed to the staff car as he added, "The director is impatient...we have to go." 

Minwoo sighed loudly as he looked over at Megan and mouthed, it will only take awhile. Megan nodded, and without looking directly at Sandeul, she called out, "Fine. Let's go."

_______________

Will write Chapter 6 in a bit!

Leave comments! <33