Friends

Love is... What? (A BTS Story)
The shopping complexes in this building were huge, I must tell you.
 
There were about ten stories dedicated to just shopping. Shopping. Numbers of people walked in and out of clothing stores, wearing crazy outfits and holding countless amounts of shopping bags.
 
"Jeon Jungkook..." My voice faltered. He let out a chuckle and grabbed my hand, giving me a wink as he replied back, "Let's show you around Seoul."
 
"But this is only a shopping mall." I countered, still being pulled towards a store. There was a tingling sensation when our hands interlinked, and I was sure that it wasn't just me who'd felt that.
 
"One of Seoul's largest shopping malls." He added.
 
I kept note of my heart beating like crazy. Why was I feeling so nervous? I tried pulling my hand free, but that only tightened Fluffy's grip on me. He turned his head towards me and said sternly, "You're spending today with me."
 
Oh how my heart started beating irregularly.
 
"Why did you bring me here?" I questioned him. He shrugged, giving me a sheepish smile that brought out his boyish side to him.
 
"If you're going to explore Seoul, might as well start off at the main attractions, right?"
 
I held my stance as he nudged me along, shaking my head no, "You know what I mean." 
 
Jungkook had a troubled look on his face, as if he was contemplating about something. He muttered something under his breath, making me respond with a "What?" Fluffy then regained his posture, casually smiled it off as nothing, and placed a hand on my back, making me jump.
 
Jungkook pulled me towards a small shop containing small accessories like headbands and hair clips. Each had pretty designs on them, but none of them looked like they'd suit me.
 
"Have a look around, I'll be right back," Fluffy said in my ear. I felt shivers creep down my spine as his soft voice vibrated a tone of playfulness and sternness.
I felt the urge to grab his arm, asking him to stay near me. After all, he was the one who said I'd be spending the day with me, right? Still, I nodded assuringly and watched him disappear into the crowd of people. Where did he need to go? I sighed, knowing it I should've asked before he left, and looked throughout the store.
 
He wasn't gone any longer than five minutes. Not that I was counting. He'd surprised me by hanging an arm over my shoulders, saying simply, "Did you miss me?" I instinctively shrugged his arms off, keeping a distance between us.
 
"You weren't gone that long." I said dismissively. If I wasn't so flustered by his actions, I would've sworn I heard him chuckle. "Here." Jungkook said, holding out a hair pin. I stared at the object, noticing how intricate the little hair piece looked.
 
The hair pin had a golden tint to it, making it look like an antique piece, as well as small golden leaves with crystals on its stem.
 
"It's really pretty." I commented, taking the pin into my hands. Jungkook smiled and turned to a woman working at the shop.
 
"Excuse me, it's Five for the pin correct?" 
 
The lady glanced towards me and let a warm smile cross her face. She had on long, elegant fake lashes and five inch heels. Her brown hair had been tied into low ponytails that were curled ever so neatly and gave the look of, "Oh it's only natural that I look this glamorous."
I stared back shyly, trying to imitate an expression just as cheerful as hers, which to me failed completely.
 
"For you cute couple, it's only two dollars instead of five." She replied with a wink.
 
I was about to correct her, but before I could, Jungkook gave me a wink and walked over to the saleswoman. I shifted on my feet, relieved I wouldn't have to clear the misunderstanding.
Jungkook went up to the lady, his back turned to me, and said something in a hush tone. I could've sworn I saw the woman's eyes shine even brighter.
 
What?
 
Fluffy then looked over to me, his face reassuring. But I'd been way too experience to know when someone was lying.
 
His eyes said it all.
 
It was like we had a telepathic conversation in a matter of seconds.
 
'What did you say?' 
 
'What do you mean?' His eyes flickered a bit of amusement.
 
'Jeon Jungkook..' I warned, looking at him seriously. What stunt was this fluffy haired boy doing?
 
'Relax, I've got this under control.'
 
'What do you-'
 
Jungkook gave me yet another wink as he turned back to the woman, surprising me with what his next actions were.
My jaw literally fell open as I saw Jungkook's corner of his lips curve a bit as he happily gave the woman the money.
 
"Have a wonderful day." He chuckled, obviously aware of my reaction. Sadly, the woman didn't, and gave him a wink before running off to another customer.
 
"Y-You didn't clear up the misunderstanding!" I whisper yelled as he made his way up to me, his smirk reappearing.
 
'After all that telepathic conversing too..'
 
"What misunderstanding?" He questioned innocently. He was trying oh so hard to not burst into a fit of laughter. I kept a straight face as I took a step forward, looking into his brown eyes.
 
"That part when she said we w-were a c-cute..." I faltered. I felt my face turn into flames. Was it really warm in here?
 
"Acute? Like the angle that's less than 90 degrees?" He teased, daring me to continue. 
 
"No.. A cute... A cute coup.." I started off, realizing the space between us. How had we gotten this close to each other?
 
"A cup?" He challenged. I could feel his warm breath brush against my cheeks. Jungkook leaned in a little more, like he's done in previous interactions.
 
Thump. Thump. Thump.
 
Mr. Fluffy's eyes bored into mine, making me hold in a gasp. He slowly began trailing his gaze upon my cheeks, my nose, and eventually my own lips. I expected he'd drift his gaze away like he did when looking at my eyes to my cheeks, but lingered as he made his way closer towards me.
 
His lips curved a little as he leaned in forward and-
 
 
Grabbed the hair pin out of my hands, placing it onto one side of my hair.
 
 
It took me a couple seconds to process what he actually did. 
'He didn't... Do what I thought he would..' The realization hit me.
 
My hands reached up to the delicate hair clip, adjusting the placement a bit to ensure its spot.
 
"It looks good on you." Jungkook smiled, making me turn awkwardly away from him. I self consciously reached up to my side pony, mentally cursing at how messily I'd put it up.
 
"T-thanks." I stuttered weakly. My heart felt as if it would burst any moment. That close proximity was like how it felt on a Black Friday Sale. Not the breathing in your face, but the closeness and stuff.
 
I barely had time to compose myself when I found Fluffy next to me, his hand wrapping around my wrist and gently pulling me outside the shop saying, "Let's go."
 
"I'll pay you back for the hair piece." I said assuringly. Fluffy shook his head no, his hair bouncing around each step he took.
 
"No need to. This is what friends do, right?"
 
I tried to ignore the sudden drop in my stomach. Had I not eaten before I left? Suddenly, I had a feeling I wasn't uneasy do to not eating, but to the word 'friend'. I could only nod my head, afraid my voice would give out and show a hidden crimson I had.
 
For the next couple of hours we'd visited countless numbers of shops, some I questioned why they were even on the market selling products. 
Through out the whole experience I was welcomed by the colors of abstract designs, kawaii decor, and coffee shops. Jungkook also hadn't let go of my hand during those few hours, which wasn't by accident. Every time I happened to slip out of his grasp, he'd hold his grip firmly again without saying a word. 
If I had anything else to say about the mall, it would be how it was compacted, and I wondered how far my legs could continue. Fluffy, on the other hand, had happily lead me through each store, making me try on hats of all sizes, play with items I never knew could be made, and smell all the fragrances in the shops.
 
I'd noticed how dismissive he was whenever I tried asking him questions. He would just switch the topic or make a comment towards me that ensured a deep blush to form upon my cheeks. I figured I would wait it out, hoping in time he would explain to me. But there I was, still holding his hand with unanswered questions. And I had a lot of questions still unanswered for the past few hours.
 
"Jeon Jungkook," I said, my voice hinting a bit of impatience. He didn't meet my gaze as we entered a quiet coffee shop. Instead he busied himself with the coffee he'd ordered for himself. 
Instinctively, I grabbed his hand across the table and pulled him out of his seat, a gesture I use to always do to an old friend in the past.
 
'Old habits still remain.'
 
He looked at me, a bit surprised by my actions. I couldn't blame him though, since I'd only been showing him a side of me I wanted to be.
 
'Not the side of who you are.'
 
I bit back tears, followed by almost doubling over with what seemed like a blow to my stomach. The past memories had opened up far to quick and I hadn't braced myself. I mentally scolded myself for gesturing my old side.
 
 
But, I wanted answers.
 
 
"Tell me the truth to why you wanted me here with you."
 
 
Fluffy
 
The look in Soo-In's eyes was stern and serious, one that threw him off guard. He remembered seeing a flustered, shy, and quiet girl; like the one he'd met at the bus.
But he knew that this girl now, or at least this side of her, was different in all sorts of ways. She looked mature, bold, and to be honest, quite attractive.
 
'Now doesn't seem the right time for that.'
 
The look that she gave me him was one not of anger, no he automatically knew that. It held confidence and a bit of authority, sending waves into his stomach. His surprised look must've given him away, because she automatically looked down, biting down on her lip. Was she crying? He felt his arm lift, attempting to comfort her by patting her head, but she looked up at him again, this time with more fire in her eyes.
 
"Tell me the truth to why you wanted me me here with you." She said, her face shielding any emotions.
 
Jungkook held his breath. Couldn't he possibly tell her that he wanted to get her out of her shell and show her around? No. She wouldn't buy that, and neither did he. He couldn't explain why he wanted to spend his time with her, he just did. He felt drawn to her by her mysteriousness, and wanted to know more about her. 
 
But how could he explain it to her?
 
Jungkook looked at their hands, which were still interlinked. In a hush tone, he replied back, "I honestly don't know why either. I guess I just wanted to go somewhere with you."
 
When he looked up at her, she was a crimson red. Her eyes constantly glanced towards their hands, and she let go.
 
"If that's all, then take me back to the school grounds." She replied simply, grabbing her bag in hand and walking off ahead. Jungkook grabbed after her, a surprise look on her face as he turned towards her.
 
"Is it a crime to want hang out with you?" He questioned, feeling a pang of hurt as she turned away.
 
"In my case, yes. It's a crime to do so." Her words were hollow as she spoke, trying hard to maintain her bold exterior.
 
Jungkook took a breath of air before dawning on these next words, "Do you hate me?"
 
She looked a bit shocked, but regained her pose as she replied back, "Why would you assume that?"
 
He didn't answer, "Then why would you avoid me, or brush me off so easily?"
 
Soo-In's voice shook as she told him, "It's none of your business. Just take me back to the school grounds, I can find my way then."
 
Jungkook took a step foreword, followed by another. And another. And another. Soo-In backed up, allowing more space, but she hit a wall, him trapping her in. He stopped when they were practically rammed up against one another.
 
"Why are you like this." He said. It wasn't a question, it was a statement. She kept a straight facade, but the sternness in his voice had shaken her. She diverted her gaze, "It's who I am." 
 
"It doesn't seem that way to me."
 
Soo-In looked at him, and this time he saw more than a shy, hidden expression. 
His breath hitched in his throat, seeing the emotions crying out in her eyes.
 
In her gaze he saw pain, regret, and fear. From her few emotions she showed towards others, it felt real, like they were somehow her own feelings digging their way out. Jungkook wondered what in Gods name made her to be like this. The look in her eyes stayed for a brief moment, letting a stray tear fall from her eyes. He stood there, frozen and utterly clueless. He'd never encountered a crying girl before, let alone one as hurt as Soo-In. 
 
But the stray tear was all that came out. She shut her emotions as fast as he'd seen them, and she was back to looking blank. Jungkook laughed soullessly, seeing that she'd rejected him any reason for her burdens.
 
"Jungkook!"
 
They're interactions were cut off by the sound of his friends calling after him. He kept his gaze on Soo-In, calling out, "Yea?"
 
Soo-In looked away, her face motionless.
 
"Who are you with?" He heard Jimin say, much closer than before.
 
Jungkook let out a breath he hadn't realized he was holding, and replied back, "Just a friend." He stepped back, giving Soo-In space, and walked off, brushing Jimin's shoulder as he passed by.
 
He heard Jimin talking to Soo-In briefly, but quickly walked out of earshot. To his surprise, he found Jin waiting for him outside the coffee shop. 
 
"What was that?" Jin asked, a sternness in his voice. Jungkook sighed, he couldn't keep it in himself forever, "I found Soo-In."
 
He heard Jin laughed, amused, "Not that, that whole stunt when you were all depressed when Soo-In avoided you, and now you're still depressed?" 
 
Jungkook took a few moments to reply, "I just wanted to talk to, like any other friend."
 
Jin's smile widened as he walked towards Jungkook and ruffled his hair, "I've never heard of a friend that goes into town and searches for them without a reason. She must be some friend."
 
Jungkook felt his face heat up. When he thought about his actions, they made sense. He wouldn't normally do that for his friends, Soo-In was the exception. Thinking about her made is heart pound, surprising him with the sudden feelings.
 
He groaned, knowing those feelings all too well.
 
He liked Soo-In.
 
"Not again." He cried out, feeling Jin patting him on the back.
 
"Oh again we shall watch," Jin eyed happily, "and this time, it'll be a bit more entertaining."
 
 
Soo-In
 
Jimin walked towards me, his expression confused. I couldn't blame him. He just saw Fluffy walk off and me standing there, probably with an uninterested face I'd tried desperately to manage.
 
Jungkook's scent burned into my mind, as well as the sincerity in his voice when he questioned me.
 
He didn't deserve my actions.
 
I knew that, but I was too afraid to tell him what happened. For a brief moment, I felt I could, for a moment I felt as if I could tell him everything. But alas, my opinion isn't voiced and I was left to wipe out my feelings.
 
"There you are," Jimin said happily, "do you know how long Jungkook had been depressed searching for you?"
 
I jumped at the mentioning of his name. Guilt fled inside my chest like a pipe had broken in me. He had been searching for me, and all I did was turn away.
 
Like I'd always had to do.
 
'Fluffy was no different from everyone else who tried to help you.' I tried to convince myself.
 
I'd gotten soft, and let Fluffy get too close. Him, a stranger I'd met a week ago, had gotten too close.
 
"Y-yeah, he told me." She choked.
 
Jimin dismissed my uneven tone, unaware that I was troubled. Good. At least I was good at lying.
 
"Anyways, do you need a ride? I figured he dragged you here." His eyes were full of concern, which aged him quite surprisingly. 
 
I thought about refusing, but my legs felt as if they would give out, especially after the closeness I'd had with Fluffy. "Yeah," I nodded, "It's better than walking home."
 
***
 
I awoke to the sound of keys setting on the downstairs table. I'd closed my door before I went to bed, but the house was so empty you could practically hear air conversing with each other.
 
I heard heels clack against the wood flooring, then the muffled sound of her changing into slippers.
 
My Aunt was home.
 
I heard her footsteps as she walked up the stairs, as well as a deep sigh. She didn't go to her room, she was still walking. I heard my door swing open, and I lay there still, my back turned towards the door. 
 
"Soo-In?" She whispered lightly.
 
I wanted nothing but to tell her what was troubling me. I wanted to sit down, have a cup of coffee, and chat. I wanted her to take me sight seeing around Seoul.
 
But she had work. And work always came first.
 
I had waited a week for her return, and so many questions had filled. 
Where did she go? Work. Why did she stay long? Work. Why hadn't she contacted me and make sure I was okay? Work. The truth hurts, so I decided not to ask.
 
"Soo-In, if you're awake, I'm sorry. It's just that work had gotten so busy on my hands and.." She stopped, sighing a tired and old breath.
 
She slowly closed the door, but not before she quietly said, "Good night, Soo-In."
 
'Good night, Aunty.' I felt tears hit my pillow.
 
There was nothing comforting about my bed, or this house, or me staying here. Everything felt cold, and lonely, and scary.
When I shut my eyes, the memories played themselves over and over. I tried not to scream aloud like before, since my aunt was now here. But that didn't stop my gasps for air as I flung off my bed and onto the floor, sobbing and begging for the nightmares to stop.
 
-