07. Faceless Enemy.

Dear Agony
Faceless enemy
“I tend to forget myself”
—— Junsu's POV

Junsu leaned his forehead against the front door and banged it against the cold surface, ignoring the pain. How should he make Jaejoong understand that he trusted the wrong people? He scratched his neck and returned to the living room where he took his mobile. He stared at it and thought about calling Yoochun – when suddenly, he remembered what the man had said before leaving.

The walls. Junsu shot up and ran to the bedroom, looking at the hole in the wall. He examined it again, but couldn’t find anything. He desperately punched the wall, accidentally hitting the switch. The room immediately was filled in darkness, since the venetian blind was shut. Junsu wanted to turn the light back on, but then noticed a something red, right next to the hole. He took a step back and stared at the small, red light. And then, he grabbed he wallpaper around the hole and started ripping it off the walls. Even though the room was still filled with darkness, Junsu managed to rip it all off, being surrounded by hundreds of red lights. He was afraid of turning on the light, because he didn’t want to see what it was.

Nevertheless, he stepped to the switch and turned the light back on, turning around to see what he had done. But that wasn’t what shocked him so much. It shocked him to be surrounded by small cameras and voice recorders. There were so many, why were there so many? Wouldn’t one have been enough? He got goose bumps when leaving the room. He hurried into the kitchen, careful not to take the knife that was still lying on the ground. Instead, he took one that was still unopened and started ripping the wallpaper in this room, as well. But with that it wasn’t enough. He took a hammer and started destroying the pretty tiles. And again, there were so many cameras looking at him. He couldn’t believe his eyes. So that had been the reason why Yunho had wanted Jaejoong to move here. So he could keep an eye on him. He hurried into the living room, but rather than ripping off the wallpaper, he took his mobile and dialed Jaejoong’s number.

Luckily, he answered the phone. Even though he didn’t sound happy when he hissed a ‘what?’ into the phone, Junsu was relieved when he heard his voice. “Jaejoongie, can’t you come home? I thought about it again, and there’s something I have to tell you. It’s urgent. Please, please! I promise, if you still think I’m wrong after that, I’ll leave it. But please, come home as fast as you can!”

Jaejoong clicked his tongue and he could hear muffled voices talking to him. Two voices. Jaejoong was with Changmin and Yunho. Junsu hoped they were the only ones knowing about the cameras and that they were the ones controlling them, otherwise somebody out there already knew what Junsu had done. After some time, Jaejoong sighed. “Fine. I’ll be there in five minutes.”

Junsu breathed out in relief and rushed into the hallway, where he walked up and down, waiting for Jaejoong to finally return. It really was just a few minutes when the door was opened, but Junsu felt as if he waited for an eternity. When he came through the door Junsu wanted to tell him not to say a word, but he knew that it would’ve been senseless. Even if they didn’t talk, they were still seen.

“Thanks for coming!” Junsu exclaimed and took Jaejoong by the hand, leading him into the bedroom. He made Jaejoong standing in the middle of it. And of course, the only thing the elder could see were the ripped wallpaper pieces that were lying on the ground.

“What the hell, Junsu?” He asked, eyes widened. But Junsu wasn’t in the mood of explaining. Instead, he simply turned off the light. And the room was filled with hundred little red dots. When Junsu switched the light back on, he could see how pale Jaejoong had gotten.

“What is that?” He asked. Junsu didn’t want to tell him that it had been Yoochun who had given him the hint, because he knew that in that case, Jaejoong would suspect Yoochun and not Yunho and Changmin. Instead, he decided to go for a lie.

“What do you think this is? Our whole apartment is filled with these. I checked only the bedroom and the kitchen, but I have no doubt that the other rooms are filled with those little cameras, too.” He said, crossing his arms in front of his chest. Jaejoong looked around in disbelief. And finally, Junsu could see the doubts on his face.

“How… Why?” He turned around and rushed out of the room. Junsu found him standing in the kitchen, where he carelessly stepped onto the broken tiles and stared at the walls. “Did you check the other rooms, too?”

Junsu shook his head, but shrugged. “Feel free to do so.” He said and watched Jaejoong running into the living room. And for the first time, Junsu understood what he had meant by destroying things with his hands. Because when he grabbed the wallpaper to tear it off the wall, he left scratches in the wall. Deep scratches.

When the first piece of wallpaper lay on the ground and the first cameras were visible, Jaejoong stumbled a few steps back and then kicked the wall. There was no hole, but a deep dent in it. Junsu rushed towards Jaejoong and took his hands. “Do you now believe me when I say you trust the wrong people?” He asked and waited for Jaejoong to turn his head. When he did, however, Junsu could see that Jaejoong didn’t fully believe him.

“If it’s them, how did you find out about it?” He asked while taking away his hand. Junsu raised his hands and clenched his fists.

“Oh, come on! Do you trust them more than you trust me? I was in our bedroom when I noticed a small, red light next to the hole. It made me curious and therefore I ripped a small piece of wallpaper off the wall – which revealed another small, red point. And then I went on and on ripping, and ended up destroying the tiles. And then I called you. You have to believe me. I would never do something like that to you. I mean, what benefit would I have? And, hell, when should I have done that? It’s under the wallpaper! I didn’t even know where we were moving to when I agreed!” By that, he shouted, but only because he was so desperate. Just when he’d thought Jaejoong would believe him, he doubted him! Junsu clenched his fists and approached Jaejoong.

“This is the last time I’m trying to convince you, Kim Jaejoong. If you really choose them over me, I’m out of here.” Jaejoong looked into Junsu’s eyes and for a short while it was as if he was trying to stare him down. But then, he cleared his throat and sighed.

“So you think it was Yunho?” He asked, and looked around again. Junsu shrugged. He didn’t want to make Jaejoong angry again by saying bad things about Yunho. He wanted Jaejoong to believe it without Junsu having to tell him to do so.

“All I’m thinking is that Yunho arranged that apartment and even if it wasn’t him, he has to know something about it.” Junsu said satisfied with the words he’d chosen. However, he himself had to figure out something, too. Even though he was sure about all that being Yunho and Changmin’s work, he had to find out why Yoochun had known about it.

“And what do we do now?” Jaejoong wondered and Junsu could’ve jumped in the air out of happiness. It was so relieving to hear Jaejoong talking about ‘us’ again. He wasn’t leaving Junsu out anymore. Now, it was only Junsu he could trust. Junsu, and only Junsu who could help him.

“First, we have to get out of here. I don’t want anybody to spy on us.” Junsu said and took Jaejoong’s hand, dragging him out of the apartment. He had already written Yoochun a short message, telling him that he’d stay over the night. He had decided on going, even though he hadn’t known whether it would be with or without Jaejoong. How happy he was that it was with Jaejoong.

***

They were sitting in the room Junsu had spent two nights in, holding hands and looking at each other in thoughts. Junsu had no idea what he should think about first. Of course they should find a way to escape Yunho and Changmin, but they could be the only ones that knew how Jaejoong could become normal again. While they were in the room, Jaejoong was careful not to touch anything. As far as he’d told Junsu, he had caused the death of two people and somebody else was seriously injured. Of course, nobody could tell it had been Jaejoong, but Junsu knew that it still made him desperate. But, they at least knew that only things that weren’t alive could become killing machines when Jaejoong touched him. When he touched a pile somebody was leaning at, nothing would happen. If he touched that same pile without anybody around, it would kill- or at least, try to kill- the next person that touched, or leaned against it.

“And you have no clue why it could be like this?” Junsu had asked, and Jaejoong had first shrugged, then pursed his lips.

“Well, Yunho and Changmin had said it’s impossible, but I think it’s connected to the experiments they did when I was a child.” Jaejoong finally said and Junsu snorted. Of course Yunho and Changmin had said that it’s impossible. Junsu puffed his cheeks.

“Then it’s because of the experiments. But what could they have possibly done that causes you to turn things into killing machines when you touch them?” He asked. Jaejoong looked at the ceiling and laid down, lips pursed.

“They experimented with my blood, my heart and my brain. I guess they damaged something.” He simply answered, growing tired of all this. He didn’t care why or how. He just wanted to know how to get rid of it, how to return to his normal self. He refused to think of that beast at himself, since that wasn’t him. He had never had to face it, so why now? He sighed. Because of Changmin’s pills. He to his side, facing the wall. Junsu lay down next to him and back hugged Jaejoong, resting his head between his shoulders. Jaejoong softly Junsu’s hand and closed his eyes. After some time Jaejoong’s breath was steady and Junsu could tell he’d fallen asleep. He crawled out of bed and tiptoed out of the room.

He quickly crossed the hallway and finally stood in front of the room he’d been looking for. He knocked a few times. Yoochun opened the door and upon seeing Junsu, his smile dropped and his face became all serious. “Guess you found it?” He asked and stepped aside for Junsu to come in. Before doing so, he breathlessly said ‘yes’. The room was slightly bigger than Junsu’s, but that Yoochun was living here. Of course he’d take a bigger room.

“How did you know about the walls? Where do you know Yunho from? How did you know Jaejoong’s last name?” The words came out of Junsu’s mouth like a waterfall. Yoochun held up his hands and smiled a little.

“One thing after the other!” He said, offering Junsu a seat on the small couch that was standing next to the window. Junsu sat down and watched Yoochun taking a chair and sitting down opposite of Junsu. “I knew about the walls because I’ve been there already. I’ve experienced the same thing. I’ve lived in the North and my parents were so poor that in order to feed me, they starved to death. After their death, the government decided to take me for their experiments. I was three years old at the time. And every ‘experiment’ has his other side. My side was Yunho, who was always there when they experimented on me; basically because they wanted to make out the differences. There was a time when we were friends, but Yunho is megalomaniacal. After some time, he’d started to look down on me and treated me like a worthless being, injected me something just for fun. The North Koreans liked that, though. And during the times I was in my room all by myself, I learned that I had two abilities: I could foresee things, and I could bend electricity. I don’t know why, or what the North Koreans had given me, but I’ve been in two rooms this whole time: My white, huge room in the hospital and the laboratory. My room had no electricity at all, only the lights on the ceiling, but I practiced on them. You see, I’m not good at foreseeing things, they’re only blurry and most of the time, they’re wrong, but I’m quite a genius with electric stuff.” He smiled, proud at himself. If Junsu wouldn’t have seen what Jaejoong was able to do, he wouldn’t have believed a word Yoochun said. But he had seen it, and thus sat there calmly, awaiting the following words. “I turned off the cameras when I was at yours earlier, so don’t worry about them finding out what you told me. Okay, back to the topic. I lived in those two rooms for 16 years. And during that 16 years, I saw children coming in and out. And one time I was in the laboratory with another boy. His name was Kim Jaejoong. He was there because the doctors wanted to prove that the experiments weren’t bad at all. We weren’t allowed to talk, but when I accidentally touched his hand, I knew that they weren’t up to something ‘good’ with him. You see, they weren’t up to something good with me, either, but while they had just been curious when experimenting with me and had started without a purpose, they did know what they wanted to do with Jaejoong. He should be a killer. Of course they could just brainwash him to carelessly kill everybody, but that wasn’t it. They wanted him to be stronger, faster, better than everybody. He wanted everybody who met him to be destined to die.”

Junsu shuddered and imagined a Jaejoong who was the way Yoochun described him. I tend to forget myself. Junsu swallowed. They had to find a solution, and they had to find it fast.

“Jaejoong and my appointments were right after each other. Jaejoong had his at seven a.m., twelve p.m., three in the noon and six in the evening. Mine were one hour after that. And I always heard them talking about Jaejoong. At first they were content with how it was going, but soon it was clear that they were creating something they couldn’t control. And thus, they branded him as a failure and sent him to the army at the age of sixteen. They had created something, a medicine or something that would make him a normal human being as long as he took it. I wonder how he couldn’t know about it.”

Junsu blinked a few times. There it was! The solution! He had to get the medicine Yoochun was talking about. There was something that could save Jaejoong – he just had to find it. Junsu jumped up. Yoochun had given him all the answers he’d been waiting for, but there was still one question he had to ask: “Where can I get this medicine from?”

Yoochun looked at Junsu and shook his head. “It’s been in the North, Junsu-ya. I don’t think you can find it anywhere.”

Junsu rubbed his hands together and walked up and down, deep in thoughts. “You said you learned to use your ability. Can’t he do the same?” He asked after some time, Yoochun simply shrugged.

“I don’t know. I’ve had a lot time to do so, and I’m still not able to use my visions perfectly. I think he could if he had somebody to show him how. But I doubt that you’ll find somebody like that around.” Yoochun got up and looked at Junsu. “I think the only solution is to bring him back.”

But Junsu didn’t want to hear that. There had to be another solution. He just had to find it! 

the writer's words

Somehow I'm not too content with this chapter. I feel as though it's too rushed and I don't know, simply baaaad. So I'm sorry for that crap of a chapter, but I still hope you guys like it! Thanks for reading and commenting, you're the best! And thank you Dropism for upvoting. You guys are so lovely! :) ♥

< a tori creation >