Chapter 9

More Than Jealousy

            Our schedules for today are done. Now, we’re all back at the dorm, doing our own things in our own little world. This is what “rest” or “relaxation” is. But to me, this is nothing but BORING. For some reason today, I feel like I have an infinite amount of energy. I want to do something. Sitting and doing nothing all day is not an option.

            Everyone else is busy with their own things. Jinyoung is working on composing a song. CNU is preparing something to eat. Gongchan is doing whatever Gongchan does (I don’t always understand him). Wait, where’s Sandeul?

            Ah, he’s in front of the TV, staring at it, jaw open and looking like a zombie.

            “Hey Deullie, bored?” I ask.

            He easily takes his eyes off of the TV. “What do you think?” he says sarcastically, quietly laughing to himself. “There's nothing interesting on now. I’m about to fall asleep here.”

            I grab his arm and pull him off his . “Let’s go get some exercise.”

 

            I hold my soccer ball delicately between my hands while we walk down the street. Thankfully, there’s a park with a soccer field near our dorm. It’s been a while since I’ve played, but I’m sure I’m still a pro at it.

            “You’re going down,” I warn Sandeul.

            He furrows his brow. “Just you wait and see. I’m not as chubby and slow as I once was!”

            We arrive at the field and I set the ball down in the middle of it, right in between us. We stare competitively at one another.

            I give one final intimidating glare before we begin.

            “On the count of three… one, two THREE!”

            As I shout, my foot digs for the ball. Sandeul is also pretty fast, but I kick the ball at an angle that allows me it sneak it out from underneath him. I’ve got the ball now, and now I can casually stroll down the field while Sandeul attempts to catch up to me.

            After a few seconds, I see him dart out in front of me. He somehow snatches the ball and starts running in the opposite direction.

            “Hey, when did you get so fast?” I yell in frustration.

            I can see him grinning and laughing.

            We play like this for a while. Sandeul’s speed is his advantage, surprisingly, while I’m good with my soccer skills and footwork. We take a few breaks for water, and always end up returning for more.

            At one point, as I’m about to score, I hear a loud noise behind me. Sandeul has tripped and fallen face-first into the ground.

            And he’s not getting up.

            I run towards him with the ball. “Are you okay? Are you hurt anywhere? Are you bleeding?” I’m really worried. That sounded like a bad fall.

            He looks up, gives me this mischievous look, and launches himself at the ball conveniently on the ground in front of him. He covers it with his body.

            “No fair! That’s cheating!” We both laugh. Sandeul is so goofy…

            I kick his leg lightly. “Get off! That’s mine!”

            “Don’t attack an injured person! That fall really did hurt!” He won’t budge.

            “Liar!” I yell. I get down to the ground and manage to get a hold of the ball underneath him.

            Now the game has changed from soccer to tug-of-war. We’re both yanking with all of our might to try to claim the ball.

            Sandeul somehow manages to twist it in such a way that makes it slide right out of my hands. He holds the ball behind his back. “Let’s see if you can get it now!”

            I lean forward and reach both arms behind his back. He grins. I can tell that he’s enjoying this quite a bit.

            My arms can’t reach the ball.

            “I win!” he declares.

            “Okay.” I finally admit my defeat. I then pull him into a quick hug.

            What? My hands are already back there and I’m congratulating him…

             He doesn’t immediately react, but he does eventually return the hug. Not only that, but he’s really into it. It’s a very warm and tight hug.

            Oh. We’re in public. And there’s a random kid on the edge of the field staring at us. And Sandeul and I are hugging. Wait a second!

            I suddenly get really embarrassed and stand up in a hasty manner, shoving Sandeul to the ground in the process.

            He starts to say something, but I turn away from him and begin to walk ahead. “I’m tired and it's getting late. Let’s go back.”

            I just need some time to get my heartbeat back under control. It’s going kinda fast right now. Must be from all the running, of course.