Chapter 7

More Than Jealousy

            “Do you know what you’d like?” Sandeul asks me. We’re currently at an ice cream shop downtown. The rest of the group is still at a nearby restaurant. It’s just that Sandeul and I had both left early because we happen to have a sweet tooth.

            I look over the menu. There are so many choices, but there is something that catches my eye. Hmm, that sounds delicious. “A banana split.” I pay the cashier and she walks away to the sundae bar to start making my dessert.

            In the meantime, I ask Sandeul, “Have you decided on what you’re getting?” He shakes his head. He’s squinting his eyes to try to find something on the board that he’d like to eat.

            The cashier somehow manages to make my banana split quickly, and she returns with a tray holding the magnificent dessert. These things come as a three-scoop sundae, and there are tons of these different toppings on it. I really like food, and sometimes I eat a lot, but I know that there’s no way that I can finish this beast on my own.

            “Wow… that looks amazing,” Sandeul comments upon seeing the sundae.

            It’s decided. “May I have another spoon, please?”

            The cashier smiles and brings me one. I thank her, set the spoon on the tray, and then drag Sandeul over to a booth by a window.

            He’s obviously confused. “Hey, what are you doing? I didn’t get to order yet!”

            I look up at him. Really, does he not get the hint? “Let’s share this.”

            His eyes seem to grow wide at the thought. What? Is there something wrong with it?

            “There’s no way I can finish this by myself,” I add. “This is not meant for one person to eat in one sitting, and I don’t feel like wasting it and throwing the rest away. Also, you don’t have to pay for anything. My treat today.” I pick up one of the spoons off the tray and shove it at him. He hesitates, but eventually takes it.

            So here we are, sitting across from each other in the booth, nice music playing over the speakers, sun shining in through the window, with this gigantic ice cream dessert in front of us. Perfect. Time to eat!

            Whipped cream rests upon the top of the banana split, with a little red cherry on the very center of it. Underneath the whipped cream is a layer of nuts, hot fudge resting on the scoop closest to me, hot caramel on Sandeul’s side, and finally, strawberries draped upon the middle scoop. Of course, the banana slices are there on either side of all this. I take the first bite. It’s incredibly delicious.

            As I savor the treat, I notice that Sandeul is still holding the spoon in the same way as I gave it to him. He’s just… staring at the sundae.

            “Come on! Don’t be picky about where to start. I told you already that it’s ok to have some,” I encourage. I don’t know why he’s making this awkward. We’re used to sharing stuff all the time.

            He nods, and then takes his spoon and grabs a scoop. Right off the middle.

            Right off where the only whole cherry is.

            “Hey! That’s mine!” I yell. But he’s already started carrying it over towards his face. I lean over the table, grab his wrist, and greedily force his spoon into my mouth. I paid for the sundae, so I should get the cherry! Right?

            I glance at Sandeul. He’s making some unreadable expression. Ah, what am I doing? I sit back down properly in my seat.

            “Sorry. That’s just my favorite part and I was saving it for later. I didn’t think that you would go for it,” I say.

            Sandeul doesn’t say anything. He’s just looking down at the ground. Is he mad?

            “You can have any other part of the sundae, don’t worry. Do you want the hot fudge? I can turn it around so you can have some.” I flip it around and he nods.

            “Okay, sure.” He seems to force a smile. “I’ll be right back though. I’m going to go get another spoon.”

            What?

            I give him a confused look. “Why? I only took one bite from it. It’s not like I poisoned it.”

            “I know,” he responds simply. He still gets up.

            Why is he making a big deal out of this? I only ate off his spoon. It’s not that bad, right? But then if he eats off of it, where I just had, isn’t that kinda like… an indirect ki—No! I can’t think like that!

            Slightly blushing at my thoughts, I shove the whole thing at him. “Come on, I feel really bad now. Please take some now before I feel even worse, okay?”

            Now I get a reaction out of him that’s more concerned. He takes a look at the spoon, and then at the sundae. He slowly takes a part of it, and it eventually reaches his mouth.

            His expression instantly lightens up at the taste.

            “This is so good!” he exclaims. Now he’s actively taking large scoops from the banana split and shoving it in his mouth. He loves his sweets.

            Typical Sandeul.

 

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A/N: Sorry for the late update. I've been on a road trip and a vacation during the past few weeks. On a good note, during the road trip, I've already come up with plotlines for two new fanfics. I'll be focusing on writing those after I'm done with More Than Jealousy. So expect more from me after I've finished this one. There's still many more chapters coming though, don't worry!

I actually work at an ice cream shop and that's where I do a lot of brainstorming for my story, so I thought I'd throw in something sweet like this into it...

By the way, the story has switched over to Baro's POV for the rest of the chapters (except the final).

Thanks for reading!^^