Chapter 12

More Than Jealousy

            I fidget nonstop in my seat in the waiting room. Everything in this room appears to be so calm and simple, yet I’m freaking out. I'm extremely worried about Sandeul.

            I rest my face in my hands, my energy completely drained. How much longer will I have to wait until I find out if he’s okay or not?

            I had called Jinyoung earlier to inform him about what happened. He told me that that he and the other members were coming and would arrive at the hospital as soon as they can.

            “Cha Sun Woo?” One of the nurses has stepped into the room.

            I lift my head and anxiously respond. “How is Sandeul? Is he okay?”

            She smiles. “Follow me, please.”

 

            We enter the room where Sandeul is being held. He’s lying down on a hospital bed and hooked up to a weird machine, but at least he’s conscious now.

            “Lee Jung Hwan has suffered from dehydration, which is what caused him to faint. Right now, we are restoring fluids to his body. He should be released within a short period of time,” the nurse explains.

            “I will let you two have a moment now.” She bows, and then leaves the room to us.

            I take a seat in the chair next to the hospital bed and look at Sandeul.

            “Hey, Baro,” Sandeul says weakly. He somehow manages to smile with that smile he always does. “Sorry I couldn’t finish the race.”

            I feel myself getting emotional. It’s just the environment or something. “Who cares about the race! You don’t know how worried I was!” I blurt. Ugh. This is really messing me up.

            “Why didn’t you take the water when I offered it to you?” I continue. Nothing makes sense to me anymore when it comes to Sandeul.

            He just looks away and gives no reply.

            “You keep making things weird between us!” I add. I’m frustrated and angry. If he weren’t like this, we wouldn’t be here. I wouldn’t be so worried about him!

            I raise my voice. “You don’t have any idea about how I feel!”

            “Well, you don't know anything about what I'm feeling either!” he replies bitterly.

            Honestly, I’m a bit startled. I’ve never seen Sandeul like this.

            “I don’t even understand it myself,” he mutters. His expression changes to reflect some troubling, painful emotion.

            I sigh. I’m not sure what’s going on, but there’s no need to argue here. “Let’s just focus on getting you healthy again, okay?”

            He nods. I ruffle his hair with my hand. He looks towards me and smiles. Cute.

            I lean over and whisper into his ear.

            “I’m glad you’re okay.”

            I then do something without even thinking, something unexpected.

            I bend down and kiss his cheek.

            “Eh?” Sandeul’s eyes are wide with shock, and his face seems to be turning red.

            My reaction is similar. I feel my face burning with embarrassment.

            What did I just do?

            Quickly, I search for something to say. “Ummm, th-the others are here, so I’ll be going. See ya!” I stammer.

            I give a quick wave and get out of that room immediately. I proceed to running out of the whole entire building. I stand outside the entrance of the hospital and catch my breath.

            I lied. I didn't know if the other member were actually there. I just wanted to get out as soon as possible.

            Why?

            Because something is wrong.

            What’s wrong with me?

            My face feels so hot.

            My heart is beating so fast.

            And why did I do that to him?

            Ah, maybe it’s like how a mother would kiss their kid goodnight on the forehead or something, I tell myself, nervously laughing at my extremely lame excuse.

            Except I’m not a mother.

            It was on the cheek.

            And then it hits me.

            I clutch my chest.

            My heart…

            It’s beating… for Sandeul…