Chapter 10

More Than Jealousy

            I shift in my sleep in the middle of the night.

            Suddenly, I hear a loud rumble.

            Then, a flash of light.

            Great.

            I try to fall back asleep, but I can’t. The storm has caused me to become wide awake.

            The thing is, I really don’t like storms. At all. It’s not that I’m scared or anything, it’s just—

            Thunder echoes outside and I instinctively start trembling.

            “I hate you,” I mutter.

            I toss and turn, but nothing remedies the situation. This storm is stubborn and just won’t go away. I really need more sleep, but I can’t get any like this.

             I hear movement from elsewhere in the room.

            “Baro… are you okay?” I recognize this voice. It’s Sandeul. He’s whispering to me from across his bunk.

            I sit up and answer back. “Uh, yeah, I’m fine,” I fib. But my voice shakes, making my words sound obviously false.

            After that, I hear no response from him. I guess he’s fallen asleep again. I lie back down and wrap the blankets tighter around my body for comfort. I’ll just have to manage through the storm on my own. I can do it! I’m brave, you know.

            The bed starts shaking. I freak out. This sure is one powerful storm…

            Oh wait, it’s just Sandeul.

            Huh?

            He’s climbed on top of my bunk. I feel his movement making its way towards me. He rests beside me, facing me.

            “I know you don’t do well with storms, Baro.” He totally saw through my lie earlier. He’s smarter than I thought.

            “So here I am. Mama Deullie’s gonna protect you~” He pulls me into a hug, his soft laughs escaping right next to my ear.

            For a moment, I’ve forgotten about the storm.

            He releases me and returns his arm to his side. “You should get some rest,” he says quietly. “It’ll be okay. I’m here for you. Always remember that.”

            He then closes his eyes.

            Nothing more.

            All I hear now is his rhythmic breathing.

            I no longer notice the once terrifying sounds of thunder outside. I am now completely calm. Sandeul is by my side.

            My eyelids grow heavy, and I eventually find myself gently drifting back to sleep.

 

            When I awaken next, the room is illuminated with the light of an early, serene morning. All is quiet. I look around. Everyone else is still asleep.

            Including Sandeul.

            He’s close to me, still facing me.

            He’s sleeping so peacefully.

            I take a moment and just look at him. He has a cute face. Beautiful eyes. Perfect skin. Why hasn’t he really had any relationships before?

            And his lips.

            He had… kissed me with those.

            They look soft… and they really were.

            What would it feel like to do that again?

            Haha. I must be going crazy. That before was probably just a prank, remember? I can’t have weird thoughts like these for Sandeul.

            I sigh, and then wrap my arms around him, pulling his body closer to mine.

            “So warm,” I mumble.