A Determined Deer

The Scarlet Letter

Love.

It was not something unknown to Luhan. He received it from almost everyone in his life. When he was younger, his dad would always gave him a kiss before bedtime. His mother always knitted him a sweater before the winter came. Sehun was always be there for him, and neighbors never failed to give him a smile whenever they saw him. Even the puppy across the street offered him his bone and wagged his tail whenever Luhan was near.

But why did the person he love the most not love him back?

At that moment, Luhan felt he would trade anything, anything, if it meant Cheonsa reciprocating his feelings. Anything.

He stood there, unable to move and gazed blankly at her.

“How could you?” she asked with tears dripping down her cheeks. With each fresh stream of tears, Luhan felt like he was injected with poison. The poison was spreading throughout his body; it wasn't deadly enough to kill him instantly, but it was enough to put him in distress, until finally his breath would stop.

“You had already promised me, didn’t you?” she said, dispirited, her head hung low as if she couldn’t bear to look at Luhan.

“I’m sorry,” he said softly, his voice not betraying the sorrow in his heart, “But this is for the best.”

Her head jerked up instantly as she looked at him straight in the eyes. “For the best?” she repeated evenly, but Luhan could hear the subtle anger that shadowed her steady voice. Her eyes hardened and became colder. There was a faint smirk on her cherry red lips. She laughed bitterly.

“Who are you?” she scoffed. “Who are you to know what’s best for me? Who are you to decide that? it! You know me for only a few days and you already have the guts to say that?”

“You know nothing about me,” Cheonsa said, her voice laced with fury and rage, but Luhan wouldn't back down.

“I will learn,” he continued. “Just give me a chance. I will make you happy. I promise.”

“How funny of you to say that after you had broken your promise,” she mocked. “Do you think I would give you a second chance that easily?” she walked towards Luhan and leaned in until her lips almost touched his ear. He held back a shiver but remained still.

“You may have succeeded in luring my parents into your trap,” she whispered with a sweet voice, “But let me tell you something. I will never, ever, fall into your trap.” She leaned back and looked at Luhan with a challenging expression as if to say, ‘Bring it on.’

He stared back at her and somehow knew that he had lost the chance to becoming friends with her. Right now, she had nothing but hatred and disgust for him. However, he convinced himself that he was not going to regret his decision. Not at all.

“I won’t give up,” he said stubbornly.

Cheonsa chuckled. “Then I have nothing to say except 'good luck.' Trust me, you'll need it. Have a good day, Mr. Lu.” With that, she turned around and walked away.

Mr. Lu.

What happened with Luhan?

He laughed bitterly. He really had ruined everything now. But all he could do was to keep trying and hope that at least there was a chance, even if that chance was one in a million. Because if there really was any possibility of that chance, Luhan would not give up.

“Sehun-ah,” Luhan called out to Sehun who was currently playing Xbox on his bed. Sehun hummed in response without averting his eyes from the game.

Luhan hesitated before continuing. “If you...really wanted something, what would you do?”

Sehun paused. He got up from the bed and sat in front of Luhan. “Do I really really really want it?”

Luhan chuckled a little and answered his question with a nod. “Is it valuable?” he asked again.

“Yes, more than anything in this world.” If there was one thing Luhan was sure about, he was certain about his faith in Cheonsa, that she would make him happy.

For a second, Luhan thought that he saw a glimmer in Sehun’s eyes, but it had already disappeaed before he could identify what it was. Sehun nodded understandingly. “Well, if that’s the case, you already know the answer, right?”

“Fight for it?”

Sehun smiled gently. “Till the end.”

A few days later, Luhan stepped into the Han family home. The house was of modest size, but it had an enormous garden surrounding it. It felt homey and warm, and the beautiful garden only added to its pleasant image. Someday, Luhan wanted a home just like this one.

A maid welcomed him and brought him to the guest room. As he was hanging up his coat, he was welcomed with a hug.

“Thank you for coming,” Mrs. Han said as she released him and stepped back.

“Take it slowly, dear. He might be a little tired coming here after work,” Mr. Han said, his deep, soothing voice coming from behind the woman.

“That’s okay, Father, I’m not that tired.”

A squeal escaped from Mrs. Han upon hearing Luhan calling her husband 'Father.' In some ways, Luhan could see why she and his mother became best friends. “Oh my! You called him 'Father!' Can you call me 'Mother,' Luhan?”

Mr. Han cleared his throat, clearly used to his wife's child-like attitude. “Just head on upstairs, Cheonsa’s room is on the left corridor.”

Luhan didn’t get to see Mrs. Han whining as Mr. Han dragged her away from him. He saw a flight of stairs on the left-hand side of the room and climbed it. He turned left and found a door with a sign that said:

“Han Cheonsa’s Room. Do Not Enter Without Permission”

Under it were stickers from what seemed to be rock bands that Luhan never heard of. He knocked on the door a few times, but there were no response from behind the door. His hands were left hanging on the doorknob, wondering if they should open the door or not.

“Can’t you read the sign on the door?” a voice from behind him asked.

Luhan quickly turned and found Cheonsa staring at him with a cold look. “Not only are you a liar, but you’re dumb too. I wonder how you got that CEO title.”

“I’m sorry; I wasn't planning on entering your room without your permission.”

She rolled her eyes, “Whatever. Why are you here anyway?”

Luhan blinked at her, confused. “Didn’t I already tell you through a message?”

She raised an eyebrow. “You’re the unknown sender? Sorry, but I don’t open messages from strangers.”

“But I already reserved the restaurant,” Luhan blurted out.

“What? Are you asking me out on a date?”

Luhan’s face flushed bright red. “Uh... well.. t-technically I wasn't going to ask you that.”

“Yeah, whatever. The answer is still a 'no' anyway. Now get out of my way, I want to enter my room.” Cheonsa paid no attention to his flustered face and motioned for Luhan to move from the door.

Luhan was in a dilemma. If he moved, Cheonsa would surely enter her room, meaning he would never be able to ask her out. But if he didn’t, she would surely hate him even more. To make things worse, he didn’t know what to say to persuade her to come with him.

A cough interrupted Luhan’s train of thought. However, it wasn’t coming from Cheonsa but from Mrs. Han who was standing behind her. He didn’t know how long she had been standing there, but he suspected that his lack of awareness had something to do with the angel standing in front of him.

Cheonsa visibly cringed, already knowing who it was without needing to look. “What, Mom?!” she asked harshly.

“Do you remember our ‘little talk,’ young lady?” warned Mrs. Han.

Luhan creased his eyebrows. He didn’t know about that ‘little talk,' but then again, it was not his place to meddle in their private affairs.

Cheonsa hissed, “Seriously, Mom? Right now? I didn’t even know about this until a few seconds ago. It is not my fault in declining his invitation.”

But if Cheonsa was stubborn, Mrs. Han was even more persistent. Luhan could see who Cheonsa had gotten her personality from. The older female reasoned, “It was. If you didn’t delete his number, this misunderstanding would not have happened. Now enter your room and change your clothes to something more appropriate.” She eyed the panda pajamas Cheonsa was wearing.

Cheonsa muttered something under her breath, and Luhan could make out something along the lines of ‘evil witch.' Nevertheless, she entered her room to obey her mother’s order, but not before slamming the door loudly to show her disapproval.

Mrs. Han gave Luhan an apolegetic smile. “I’m sorry about that, Luhan. She can be a little stubborn sometimes.”

“That was okay, Mother,” he assured her.

Mrs. Han's eyes brightened at the mention of 'Mother.' “I know that we can trust you, Luhan. You would surely be able to ‘get along’ with her.”

Luhan wanted to refuse, explaining that he wasn’t even capable enough to befriend her, much less ‘getting along with her’. He wanted to say that he was sorry, and that there was a huge possibility that he wouldn’t succeed. But the very next moment, he found himself saying, “Thank you for trusting me, Mother. I won’t disappoint you.”

Luhan was starting to believe that he was, indeed, a liar.

Author’s Note:

Does anyone hate Cheonsa? I hope you don’t because it’s not her fault that she is being forced into this engagement. Even if Luhan was lying, I would still forgive him. Nothing beats that deer look, right?

Btw, I have a new character coming up in the next chapter. See you again next week!

GTG, I have to squeal-and-slam-my-head-into-the-wall because EXO’S PERFORMANCE IN MAMA WAS AHMAYZING!!!!!!!!!!!!

Except the part where there was a damned girl holding hands with Luhan and my tears and screams of anger and frustation wouldn’t stop.

And I don’t know what to say about Luhan’s hairstyle

I just hope that he won’t wear that on Exo’s comeback.

Let my Inspirit soul take over first before I finish this ridiculously long author’s note:

SUNGGYU!!!!!!!!!!! YOU LOOK SO HANDSOME WITH THAT BLACK DYED HAIR!!!!!! AND WHAT THE HECK IS WRONG WITH MY EX, MYUNGSOO???? HE LOOKED LIKE HE DIDN”T EVEN WANT TO BE THERE.

Whatever,

Comments and subscriptions would be gladly welcomed!