The Broken Heel

The Scarlet Letter

Time passed quickly. It was already a month and a half after they back to being friend again. In that time, Luhan was meeting with her countless of times. They went to cinema, read books together at library, watched a movie marathon, everything.

He went to her house a few times, their parents were very glad hearing about this. They thought that the engagement between Luhan and Cheonsa would happen in this year. Luhan didn’t  have the guts to break their fantasy, or maybe he was fantasizing like them too.

If only they knew.

Nevertheless, he enjoyed being with her, even if it was just as a friend. Being friend meant he got to see her a lot. Hearing her laugh weren’t a rare occasion anymore, it was still feel special and heart-fluttering moment but it just happen more often.

Late-night texting, sneaking glance at dinner, inside jokes, it was becoming a common thing for them. All of the employee on Luhan’s company already familiar with a lovely girl who come around their office alot and always made their boss laugh.

Luhan smiled a lot, but with Cheonsa, his smile became more lived and cheery. It was as if by just looking at her, his cheeks automaticly forming a dazzling smile. Hudreds of his secret admirer were broken by this news. But they could only drown in jealousy because whether they want to admit it or not, Cheonsa was the perfect woman for him.

His friends already meeting her a few times. They welcomed her and accept her gladly. Sometimes, Luhan wandered whether Cheonsa and him were match made in heaven. Everything between them fits like a puzzle, filling each other.

He never felt happier in his whole life.

He was sitting on his chair on a meeting, hearing one of his employe presentation when his phone beeped. Already knowing who it was, he opened his phone under his desk with a smile.

From: Angel
are you having your lunch yet?

To: Angel
no, is that an invitation?

From: Angel
(>_<) It is, you pipsqueak. Come and pick me up, my mom
had been nagging me all day becuase I refuse to wear a horrible dress (T_T)

To: Angel
Okay, be there on 20 minutes

He spent the rest of the meeting nervously. Every ten second, he took a glance at the clock that seemed to mocking him. Noticing his anxiousness, his employee decided to postponed the meeting while smiling inwardly. This was the first time their boss acting like this and to be honest, it was rather fun to watch.

Not wasting time, he went to get his car as soon as the meeting over and told Sehun he would be gone for an hour.

Sehun, knowing who behind his hyung dissapearance, rolled his eyes and continuing playing GTA on his laptop. It was a wonder how he could maintaining his position as the CEO secretary.

He stopped a few metres before the Han’s family house. Cheonsa was sulking in the street and he chuckled at the sight.

“Why so gloomy, Miss?” he joked after pulling his car glass down.

Her sulk turn into a smile when she saw him. She opened the car door and sat beside him.

“What took you so long, I’m bored to death in my house so I decide to wait for you here.”

“I still have five minutes left, actually.”

She rolled her eyes. “Yeah, now let’s go I’m starving here.”

“As you wish your majesty.”

Apparently, she went through the internet to find a restaurant and found a not-so-fancy local one but the food there was great. He agreed and they both decided to went there for lunch.

Not-so-fancy was kind of a compliment. It was a very simple looking restaurant. And by very simple  luhan meant that he was lucky the restaurant had table and seat for them.

When they arrived, a waiter dressed in a casual shirt with a lazy manner greet them and with a bored tone offered their menu list. They both were trying to held their laugh because the waiter was too lazy to wiped a sauce trail on his cheek.

The menus were horrible. The photo of the dish were blur and didn’t look appetizing. But it was her who recommend this, so he will just believe in her that he wouldn’t end up on the nearest hospital.  They looked through the menu and decided a simple chinese fried rice.

“I’m chinesse you know.” He said, starting a conversation.

She rolled her eyes. “Really? Your name is really korean though.” She said and faked a gasp.

“Is it that obvious?”

“Not really, your face is look like a korean, but your name explain everything.”

“Yeah, I hope my name is much more universal.”

“You’re still lucky. Do you know what is a name for a ert old man?”

“No. What is it?”

“Mr. Grabbypants.” She giggled and that was a music to his ears.

 “Do you know what a name of a man who never went to beach?” he asked her.

“Mr. Offbeach.”

They both were laughing again and still was when the lazy waiter served their foods. He didn’t know why but they started to talk about random things like tonight’s movie and why did telephone chord was curly.

“So I said to her..” He stopped when he realized her attention wasn’t on him anymore him. Her eyes were aimed at something behind him.

“What are you looking at?” he asked curiously and turned around.

It was that horrible person, the one that she loved but kept breaking her heart, siting a few tables behind them with another woman beside him. They were making a scene with their cuddle session and major public display of affection.

His eyes were blazed with anger, he was ready to knock that guy of his seat when the seat in front of him was moving.

“Cheonsa-ah, where are you going?”

She wasn’t looking into his eyes and instead looked at her watch. “I forgot I have an appointment. I have o go now Luhan. I’m sorry.” She said and left the restaurant without taking a second glance.

He didn’t care about the half eaten dish on their table. He didn’t care about a certain someone he would glad to punch. He didn’t care that the waitres was asleep when he was chasing her.

He did care about the way she won’t look at his eyes. He did care about how her hands were trembling and tightened into a fist. He did care about how her knees were wobbly when she walked down the pathway. He did care about how she refused to looked up and kept her head low on the ground.

He did care when his hand turned her and she looked up at him with a watery eyes.

“I... I’m sorry, but I-I... have to leave now.” She said and turned back again.

It was only a few step before her feet suddenly decided to gave up and she fell to the ground. Luckily, he was fast enough to catch her shoulder so she didn’t fell hard.

“Really... such a right timing...” She said and smiled bitterly while a few tears managed to escape her eyes.

She removed his hands on her shoulder and grabbed a broken heel on the ground. It was hers.

“I’m sorry for crying.” She said and wiped her tears. “But this is my favorite shoes.”

“I could buy you another one.” He offered slowly. His rejected hands fell uselessly.

“But I love this one.” She said stubbornly.

“I would find another one, a much more better one.”

She laugh sourly. “You don’t understand! This is a perfect one for me.”

He suddenly realize that this conversation wasn’t about shoes anymore.

A newly-made tears fell onto her cheeks, but he was too afraid to erase it. “It isn’t perfect if it’s already broken. It will hurt your foot.” he said sotftly.

“Don’t say that! You don’t understand anything about this shoes! It is a perfect one for me. I don’t care if it’s broken! I don’t care if it’s didn’t have leather skin or fancy color! I don’t care!” She shouted angrily.

“I love this! No matter how much you buy me another shoes, this one would be my favorite! I would never ever look at any other shoes besides this! Hell, I couldn’t if I try.”

It was not surprising that his heart was broken by every words she said.

“Try it.” he said desperately. “There’s gotta be a shoes out there, waiting for you. It would fit perfectly for you. This one can’t even carry you properly.”

She stared at him. One of her lips was moving upward, but it wasn’t a smile. It was more like a smirk. A bitter one.

“You’re the same... I thought you’d be different.” She whispered and stand up.

He stared at her patheticly while she put off her shoes and held it with her hand. When he made a move to follow her, she whispered brokenly, “Don’t follow me. I want to be alone.”

He stood there watching her dissapear slowly from his sight with a bleeding heart, again.

The broken heel lying lifelessly on the ground alone, exactly just like him.

A/N: The bills still hadn’t paid yet, kekekeke
If you’re wondering who the waiter was, it was Changmin. I could perfectly picturing him work lazily on a restaurant just for a free food. He is my bias in TVXQ (^u^)

Sorry for the lame joke :p