Angel

The Scarlet Letter

Luhan stood in front of the mirror. He scraped his neck several times. Tuxedos had never been his style, but for tonight he had to bear the unfamiliar fabric on his skin. His hair had been neatly styled. It'd better be--he had spent hours tidying his damned hair.

The reflection in the mirror was perfect but his hand couldn’t stop trembling. The genius Xi Luhan was on the verge of a mental breakdown. Sehun would have laughed his off if he knew about this.

      Come on Luhan, it’s just a meeting, his mind told him.

      Yeah, with that girl

      No , Sherlock. Its just a girl for God’s sake

      But it's that girl

      Whoever she is, she would be impressed with you

      Or she would be so scared that she—

The door opened, making Luhan surprised that he stopped arguing with his mind. A man taller than him with platinum blonde hair eyed him and then looked at his wrist watch.

“You might want to hurry a little. It's already half past six.”

It seemed that saying those words were not a good choice. Saying that Luhan was having a panic attack might be a bit of an understatement, but the platinum blonde only rolled his eyes at the sight of his hyung.

“NONONO!!! I can’t go like this. Sehun, tell my father that I can’t attend the dinner. What if I do something stupid? What if I burp in the middle of dinner? What if I fart? What if—” Luhan’s rant was cut off by Sehun.

“Why are you so nervous? It’s so unlike you, hyung. Do you perhaps hide something from me?” he smiled a mischievous smile.

Luhan blushed. “Wh... What? Of course not. Why would I?”

“Then why are you stuttering?”

Luhan looked at everywhere but Sehun. The taller male let out an evil laugh. “What happened? Cat got your tongue?”

Luhan stared at his shoes. Sehun sighed. If his hyung didn’t leave in ten minutes, he would definitely be late. But he wasn't going to give up just yet. He knew what to do at times like this. He was not his hyung’s twenty-years-bestfriend for nothing.

“It’s okay if you don’t want to go,” he said slowly, keeping on his trademark poker face. “I would gladly replace you. I want to meet her again too.”

Luhan cursed inside his car. His dongsaeng knew him like an open book. He leaned back on the leather seat and let out a sigh. His driver peeked at him from the rearview mirror, wondering what was bothering his Master’s mind.

Although he prayed that he would never arrived, the car still stopped. He took a glimpse of his reflection on the rearview mirror. Perfect. ‘Come on Luhan, just go and get over it’ he thought.

After the disastrous accident on his backyard, he never heard of that girl again. Apparently she refused to meet him and stayed in the car until her parents came home. Luhan felt really guilty. That was his first time made a girl crying, although it was jus an accident and not entirely his fault. 

He never had the chance to apologize. Han’s family moved to States and their visit to his house was a good-bye one.

That girl never explain the reason why she was crying to anybody. That was why the secret be kept safe and Sehun didn’t seem like he remember about that. But not with Luhan. Because of his guilty feelings, he never ask about her to his parents; afraid of their wrath and ashamed at his own stupid act.

He was so deep into thoughts that he almost didn’t notice the car stopped moving. There was a restaurant in front of the car. The restaurant was fancy. Of course it was, otherwise his mother would have never pick it. Almost all of its walls were made from glass. The interior was elegant, but not too much. When he entered, a waiter greeted him and took his coat. He smiled as a little thank you and approached his mother that were sitting with a pair of old couple.

They were smiling when they noticed him. Although Luhan could see the warning look on his mother’s eyes. He fought the urge to rolled his eyes. He already received a week full of lecture to be a polite and gentleman just for today. Not to mention that he already did it a few years back when he appointed as a CEO of his parents’s company. Being a CEO meant he had to pay attention to all the things he did, even the degree when you bowing.

“It’s a pleasure to meet you again, Mr. And Mrs. Han.” He bowed and showed his smile.

“No need to be so formal dear. Please, take your seat.” Said Mrs. Han.

He could see the kind look on Mr. And Mrs. Han’s eyes. They words were sincere, unlike those empty words that he usually heard. It calmed his nerves down somehow. Mrs. Han was old, but he could see faint traces of beauty on her face. It made him wonders whether her daughter still had the same beauty like her.

“He is such a nice young man, don’t you think so, honey?” asked Mrs. Han to her husband.

“Of course, he is Lu couple’s son afterall.” Said Mr. Han with a twinkling eyes.

“Never run out of jokes, don’t you old man?” joked Luhan’s mother.

The rest of the table fell into a laughter. Luhan started to sit relax because of the comfortable air. He understood now why his parents were best friends with Mr. and Mrs. Han before they moved to States, they were such a kind and warm person.

“I’m sorry about my daughter Luhan, she is a bit tardy sometimes.” Said Mrs. Han out of nowhere.

Luhan blinked. Every eyes stared at him. . Why the hell did he daydream at a times like this?  “It’s okay Mrs. Han. I am not in a hurry.”

Mr. and Mrs. Han looked at each other with worried looks. “She is a bit childish sometimes, maybe because she is our last child. You have to be a little patient when it comes to her.”

Luhan smiled, “I will try my best. Don’t worry about it.”

“I hope you agree with this arrangement, young man. Not many people agree for this kind of situation now.”

A ring came out from Mrs. Han’s handbag. She checked it and then smiled at Luhan, “She said she would arrive at any minutes now.”

How he wished that Mrs. Han never said that. The left over of his confidence was gone in that instant. Politely he asked for permission to go to the restroom. He only spared a glance at his mother warning looked before he turned over and went to the restroom.

When he entered, he took a quick inspection to the empty restroom and locked the door. With his trembling hands, he managed to the faucet and splashed a handful of cold water to his face.

He looked at his reflection in the mirror. The man looked distraught and lost. It shocked Luhan, he had never looked like this in the last five years.

He was afraid that she still remember him. The image of her standing before him with shimmering wet eyes still haunted him sometimes. He was afraid that she still hate him.

But then, what if she forgot  about him?

What if he wasn’t important enough for her to leave a small space of their times together?

He didn’t know which one was better.

Thousand of possibility twirling inside his mind, made him feel dizzier than ever. , he wasn’t getting better.

‘Screw this!’ he thought. He would leave this damn toilet and face that girl with a head held high. He was a ing man for god’s sake! And not just any man. He was Xi Luhan, the CEO of Xi Corp. He would not go down just because a girl.

With the newfound thought, he unlocked the door. But, the moment he stepped out of the door, someone pushed him back and made him stumbled into the restroom. Before he could protest, he suddenly lost his breath somewhere in this small restroom.

It was a girl.

That girl

He knew it just by a glimpse oh her.

Not just an ordinary girl, but with a magnificent beauty that made Luhan couldn’t help but stare.

She was much more beautiful than before.

She had a pink plump lips that remind Luhan of lipstick ad. Her face war round and looked small. Her skin was fair and blemish-free.Her nose was sharp but not too pointy. Her eyes was the most perfect eyes with a thick eyelashes and big orbs. It was brown and warm. Luhan thought that he would willingly stared at it every−

“... Do you understand?”

Luhan snapped out of his thought. He blinked. What did she say again?

One of her perfect eyebrows raised. . Maybe she thought that he was mental.

“O.. Of course I do.” . Did he just stuttered?

She rolled her eyes. “Good. Now follow me.” She said and got out of the restroom. She walked slowly and looked at him, motioning him to follow her.

They walked silently to the restaurant entrance. That girl’s eyes always gazed at her parent cautiously. When they made it to the parking lot without his and her parents knowing Luhan asked the girl to stop.

That girl turned and looked at Luhan. He forced himself not to got lost into the brown orbs of her.

“Do you remember me?” he asked.

Her eyes turned into confusion. “No, have we ever met before?”

She didn’t remember him.

He shook his head and smiled weakly.

“What is your name?” he asked.

That girl sneered. Strange. How could someone still able to look innocent while sneering?

She was different from before. She wasn’t a little girl anymore. She had changed into a mature woman. There was a smart glint of her eyes that made him wandering what was she thinking right now. She wasn’t as innocent as before, but she still radiating the same aura that screamed purity.

But above all, Luhan knew that he liked the change on her.

“You didn’t not hear me at all at the toilet, did you?”

His face went bright red. “I..I was... at that time I just somehow day−”

“Cheonsa,” said that girl cutting Luhan’s word. “Han Cheonsa.” She repeated.

As if on cue, his lips went upwards. “Han Cheonsa” he said. Even with his voice, that name managed to came out beautiful.

She nodded. “Remember that. And don’t use honorifics with me, it makes me feel old.” She said and then she turned around so she didn’t hear Luhan’s next word.

Finally, after all this time, he could hear her name slipped from his mouth.

“Angel. That name fits you.”