Prologue

The Scarlet Letter

A six years old Luhan looked up from his car toy at his smiling father. His father crouched down and gave him a photograph. It was of a little girl with a dimple on her right cheek; she was smiling at the camera, making crescent moon-shaped eyes that looked so lovely.

“Is she pretty?” asked his father.

He nodded wholeheartedly. “She looks really pretty, Daddy. Who is she?” To Luhan, she was prettier than the girl in the shampoo ads that he liked to watch.

Mr. Xi chuckled. “I don’t know, why don’t you ask her?”

Luhan beamed. “When am I going to meet her, Daddy?” It would be nice if he had another friend other than Sehunnie because he could be annoying sometimes.

“You will meet her if you be a good boy, Luhan.”

“But I’m already a good boy.” The kid pouted.

His father raised an eyebrow. “Really? If that’s the case, then I will bring her to our house tomorrow. Is that okay?”

Luhan gave him his two thumbs up. “Perfect. I can't wait to show her to Sehunnie.”

“Why do I have to go to your houthe? There ith a Pororo marathon on tv today, I don’t want to mith it,” Sehun whined when they were waiting for their parents to pick them up from school.

“I will lend you my Play Station, but you have to see this girl.”

“Who ith thith girl? Why ith thi tho important?”

“She is sooo pretty. She is way prettier than your mom.”

Sehun gasped loudly. “No way. Thath impothible, no one ith prettier than my mom.”

“There is!” said Luhan stubbornly.

“There ith not!”

“There is. I will give you my lollipop for two weeks if you say your mom is prettier after seeing her.”

“Okay! And I will give you my bottled milk if you’re right.”

Luhan rolled his eyes. “Sehunnie, I’m not drinking from a bottle anymore, remember?”

Sehun ‘ooh’ed and nodded profusely. “Then I will give you my turn for thlideth tomorrow.”

“You don’t have to, slides are for kids; I’m a grown up now.”

Sehun blinked, confused. “If you’re a gron up, then I am too.”

“No, you aren't! There are no grown-ups who have a lisp and are still using milk bottles!”

“There are! I watched it on TV yesterday. He ith big and a gron up, but he thtill drinkth from a milk bottle!”

i

“What’s his name?”

"Huey.”

“Never heard of him. I'll ask my dad later about it.”

A car honked from the street. Luhan and Sehun got up from their seat and walked to the car. They got in, and after spending a few minutes of arguing about who got the better seat, they nestled back in the seat of the car.

“Had a nice day, boys?” asked Mrs. Xi.

“Yes Mom, but Sehunnie didn’t believe what I said!”

“Thaid about what?” asked Sehun.

“He said that the girl in the photo was ugly!”

“Which girl are we talking about?” asked Mrs. Xi.

“The girl in the photo that Daddy gave to me last night.”

“Oh, if that’s the case, then why don’t both of you meet her?”

“We can meet her? Where is she?”

“In our house Lulu. Her family visited us this morning.”

“Really? Let’s go then!”

Ten minutes later, they arrived at Luhan’s house. Luhan ran to the living room as soon as the car door opened with Sehun following silently behind him. There were three people including his dad in the living room, but there was no sight of the little girl.

“Luhan, there you are. Come here, big boy!” called his dad.

He ruffled Luhan's hair and sat him on his lap. “This is my son. He is six years old. Luhan, say hello to Uncle and Auntie Han.”

“Hello Uncle and Auntie Han,” he said hastily and turned to his father. “Daddy, where is the little girl in the photo? Mommy said she's here.”

“Little girl? Do you mean my daughter?” asked Uncle Han interestedly.

Mr. Xi laughed. “Yes, I gave him a photo of her and he seemed to be infatuated with her already.”

Luhan pouted. Even though he didn’t know what the meaning of the word ‘infatuated’, he could guess that his father was mocking him. “I wasn’t! I only thought that she was pretty. I told Sehunnie about her, but he said his mom is prettier than that girl.”

“So you want to show that girl to Sehun?” asked his father.

Luhan nodded. “Where is she, Daddy?”

“She's in the backyard, son. Go find her.”

Luhan stood up and ran to the backyard with Sehun. Running outside, he could see a little girl sitting on the grass a few metres in front of him. He took a few closer steps and stood in front of the girl, shadowing her.

The girl looked up and smiled at him. She looked exactly like the girl in the photo his father gave him.

“What are you doing?” he asked.

“This?” she asked back and pointing at the small pile of flowers, grass, and branches in front of her lap.

Luhan hoped that the pile wasn’t from his mom’s garden because she would have been mad and possibly turned into a green monster. Well, at least his father said that she could.

“I’m making a flower crown.”

“What is it?”

She blinked in confusion, as if it were strange for someone to not know what a flower crown was. “It's a crown, like in the Disney movies, but made with flowers."

He nodded. He knew what Disney movies were because Sehun forced him to watch them.

“My mom taught me this. Would you like to help?” she asked with her eyes twinkling.

Luhan must have eaten too many cornflakes that morning because his stomach suddenly felt weird. He smiled back and sat in front of her. She gave him half of the pile and showed him how to made the flower crown.

It was so complicated for him that after awhile he decided to give up and instead watch her and how her pretty fingers moved, entangling the flowers.

He was too absorbed into the scenery in front of him that he almost didn’t notice Sehun incessantly pulling his shirt.

“What?” he asked, sounding a little bit more annoyed than he had meant to.

Sehun pouted. “Let’th go playing slideth over there.” He pointed at the slides a little bit farther from where they were now.

“I don’t wanna.”

“Hyuung… I’ve got thomething to tell you,” he whined.

The girl chuckled watching their interaction. “It’s okay, you can come back here later.”

Luhan scowled at Sehun, but, nevertheless, he followed him. When they reached the slide his father had built for him, Sehun sat at the edge of the slide and glowered at his friend.

“What?”

“You’re a bad man!”

Luhan gasped. “Bad man? I’ve done nothing wrong!”

“Yeth you did! You’re playing with her and forgetting about me!”

“I am not!”

“Yeth you are! You didn’t notice when I wath calling you many many times! You left me alone and I wouldn’t have a friend anymore. I will be lonely and nobody will watch Pororo with me!”

Luhan only stared in shock at Sehun, but the latter suddenly started sobbing.

“No Sehunnie, I wouldn’t leave you alone. I’m your best friend and I will watch Pororo with you, so don’t cry, please,” he said, hugging his tearful friend.

Sehun instantly stopped crying. “Really?” he asked with watery eyes and a runny nose.

“Yes, really.”

“Thi ith ugly, right?”

“Sehunnie! How could you say that? You know that she is pretty!” Luhan protested.

It wasn’t exactly the right thing to say because Sehun was crying even louder this time.

“Okay okay! She is ugly, your mom is way prettier,” Luhan cried, hoping he would stop crying.

“Do you… hate her?”

“Yes! I hate her! Is that enough?!” he shouted exasperatedly.

A quiet sob behind him made him turn around. Having a sinking feeling, he found that girl standing behind him with moisty eyes. His mouth opened, trying to make words but no sound came out. The flower crown in her hand fell to the ground.

“If you hate me, you don’t have to pretend to be so nice to me,” she cried, turning around.

A pat on his shoulder reminded him of Sehun’s presence.

“Don’t worry hyung, you’re not alone. I hate her, too,” Sehun said behind him.

Incapable of moving, Luhan could only stare helplessly at the girl's retreating back as she ran farther away from him.

And that was how their story began.

A/N: I haven't edit all of the chapter in this story, so there will be some confusion. But I'll update soon.

PS: Yes, Sehun indeed has a lisp.