Creations

Caffeinated Love [Hiatus]

Creations


  I pushed open the door of the cafe, stepping in. The wind chimes announced my arrival, metal sounds that drowned in the chatters of the customers.
 
  Yongguk stood at the counter and was taking a customer's order. He had his apron thrown on over a black tank top and my eyes traced his the curve of his muscular arms until they stopped at the black wristband on his left hand. He looked up past the customers' shoulder and saw me. He smiled his greeting, which I returned.
 
  I quickly strode past Yongguk to the staff room, setting my bag down and pulling on my apron. I headed back out to the counter, standing next to Yongguk. I gestured for the next customer in line to order from me. I stared off to space as the girl appeared to be considering what to have.
 
  The interior design of the cafe changed considerably, but little by little. Chairs and tables lined not only the inside of the cafe but the outside as well because the number of our customers increased. Black boards lined the top of cafe that had the names of the drinks we offer written on it neatly in chalk. There used to be just three black boards, but ever since Yongguk stepped up to become boss, the number of black boards increased to five as he came up with different creations.
 
  "One cranberry white chocolate mocha frappachino," the girl said, after much thought. My hands went on auto pilot mode, going about the pressing of keys and the return of cash.
 
  'Cranberry white chocolate mocha frappachino'
 
  It all came about that one morning...
 
[My shrilling alarm clock pierced the heavenly silence of my bedroom, rousing me from sleep.
 
It was as if my stepping out of the house had awakened the city, as when I headed for the train station people from all walks of life hustled past me. I was in no hurry, despite the morning rush hour, since I was brought up to be at least 10 minutes punctual no matter the location. I took my time, strolling to the station and alighting at the station near the cafe.
 
I let my eyes wander as my feet led me to the cafe, taking in the scenery, especially skyscrapers that pierced the orange, pinkish sky.
 
Too soon I arrived at the cafe, pushing open the door. The familiar tingle of the wind chime welcomed me.
 
"Morning, Christy," Yongguk's voice floated from the kitchen, over the the noisy croaking of the blender. I headed for the kitchen.
 
"Morning," I said as I smiled at him, striding past him to set my things down and pull on my apron. "So what spurred you on to make a new drink?" I asked, moving to stand beside him. "Mum sent some cranberries and I got white chocolate from the market, and God enlightened me," he gestured wildly, his hand imitating that of a light coming down from heaven and landing on him. I couldn't help but laugh.
 
The blender came to a stop with a push of a button, before Yongguk poured out the contents of it into two cups.
 
"Here," he said, offering one to me. I shook my head, tutting at him. "How could you forget whipped cream?" I teased, nudging him with my hip to move a little such that I could reach for the whipped cream. Yongguk chuckled.
 
"It's surprisingly good. I mean, who would have thought of putting fruit, chocolate and coffee together? This is fantastic," I commented, sipping at the drink.
 
It was to no surprise that Yongguk was a natural at making drinks. His mother used to be a barista after all, and I heard from her that he used to watch her make drinks when he was a child.
 
Mornings like these, when I discovered Yongguk making drinks were one of the best ways to start off the day. Knowing that I was the first one to try them made me really happy. I was being selfish, but I thought of it he was creating these drinks just so that I could be the first to taste them.
 
I brought the drink to my lips, the cream kissing my philtrum. Not minding my creamy moustache, I continued to sip at the delicious drink.
 
Out of the corner of my eye, I caught sight of Yongguk shaking his head, clearly amused. "What are you, a child?" He asked teasingly. I stuck out my tongue at him, not minding his mocking. He pulled out some tissues, dabbing them gently above my upper lip.
 
"What are you, my father?" I shot back weakly, red faced, standing still as he cleaned my face. A mental image of Yongguk tending to a child came to mind. It was obvious he loved children, as if making funny faces at the customers' kids were n not a clue obvious enough. I always thought that he would make a good father, strict at times but knowing the limits of his own children.

"Thanks," I mumbled as he pulled away. "No problem," he replied, disposing of the tissues and moving to place the blender in the sink.
"Add more cranberries the next time, since they can hardly be tasted," I watched as he reached for the sponge, soaping the blender. He nodded in response and the tap, washing away the suds.
 
After he wiped the blender dry, he looked me in the eye and thanked me for tasting his drink.
 
"It's my pleasure," I averted my eyes. The floor had looked so interesting out of a sudden. ]
 
  "Here," Anna said, placing the drink in my hands, the cranberry white chocolate mocha frappachino, topped off with whipped cream.
 
  Smiling fondly at the memory, I headed outside, passing the drink to the girl.
 
  "Created with love," I commented, as she took the drink into her hand. She laughed, perhaps thinking it was a little joke, sipping at it as she walked out of the cafe. A tiny smile touched my face, being happy to be able to make a customer laugh.
 
  "What did you say to her?" Warm breath ghosted over my ear. I yelped in surprise, whirling around to see Yongguk standing there, wide-eyed. Getting over my shock, I slapped his arm playfully. He laughed in respone and rubbed at the "sore" spot, just to make me feel better.
 
  ''I just told her it was created with love,'' I mumbled, looking at the ground. ''What? I couldn't hear you. Could you say it once more?'' Yongguk asked, leaning closer. ''I-I told her it was created with love,'' I repeated myself, looking at him from the corner of my eye.
 
  ''That's because it was created while I was thinking of y-,''

  *ring ring* *ring ring*

  Yongguk cursed softly under his breath, excusing himself to pick up the phone.
 
  My heart hammered against my ribcage, fighting to be let free.

  'Was he about to... confess to me?'
 
  I shook my head in an attempt to dispel my thoughts, blood rushing to my cheeks.
 
  'It couldn't be, right...?'