Rain

Caffeinated Love [Hiatus]

Rain


  The rain beat down on the concrete outside, cleansing the town in a shower. The nice smell of the wet earth flirted with my nose, making me feel all the more relaxed. The pitter patter of the rain seemed to be singing me to sleep, including the fact that there were not many customers.
 
  I slept late the previous night after watching a Korean drama, squealing over the handsome male lead and the romantic storyline. Seunghyun Oppa woke me up in the morning, knowing that I would oversleep. He had gone for work, dressed nicely in a suit with a tie.
 
  I shook my head, letting my eyes flutter close, trying to shake away the tiredness as well. It was like the rain outside poured on me too, eroding my energy and leaving me tired. There were several customers today, but usually we didn't have much customers during rainy days because of the inconvenience. The bulk of our customers were students from nearby schools and considering that it was a Saturday, it was pretty much a lazy kind of day.
 
  After deciding that I clean the tables, I opened my eyes. Retrieving a tray and a cloth from the kitchen, I passed by Yongguk, who gave me a tiny smile which I returned.
 
  He followed me out to the tables, cloth in hand, before moving to the other end of the cafe. I wiped the tables and gingerly placed the used cutlery, plates and cups onto the tray. After wiping the tables, we headed back into the kitchen, dumping everything into the sink. Yongguk had three cups in hand. He held them by their handle, the other hand holding onto the cloth.
 
  "I wash and you dry?" Yongguk offered with a grin. I nodded with a smile, moving to stand beside him with a dry cloth. "I like how you're always smiling. It's very charming," I commented, looking at him for his reaction. The plate he held in his hand slipped, but he caught it in time. He sported a blush, one that made me think that perhaps he was much more gentlemanly (and cute) than his cool looks suggested. "It's a habit," he replied, before we returned to washing. I could almost picture him rubbing the back of his neck bashfully if it wasn't for the fact his hands were soapy.
 
  The sound of the running water drumming against the sink filled the silence. I wiped the wet plates dry, setting them on the side. Several times our fingers brushed against each other when he passed me the plates, a nice warmth feeling that spread from the mere touch of his fingers.
 
  Around Yongguk, my face was always unusually hot. I never thought that I would be a blushing fangirly kind of girl, but obviously I was wrong. I laughed a little at my situation. Yongguk looked at me, right eyebrow cocked in curiosity. I shook my head, silently telling him that it was nothing. He nodded, indicating that he understood.
 
  After drying them, we classified them as plates, cups and cutlery before placing them in their respective cupboards. I briefly wondered if this was what would be a daily occurrence if we got together. The thought made me flush red, and I shook my head to shoo it away.
 
  The wind chimes tinkled then, signaling the entrance of someone, before it tinkled again. "We're here!" I heard Cynthia exclaim before I saw her. She strutted in through the kitchen with Anna behind her. Cynthia was a recently hired, somewhat nice, temperamental girl. She and I would often have disagreements, but thank God Anna was there to stop us from killing each other. I inwardly let out a sigh of relief — her coming meant that my shift was over.
 
  I quickly strode over, slipping my apron off, offering it to Anna. "Thank you," she replied softly, and I smiled at her. "Thanks," Cynthia said, and I turned back to see Yongguk smiling back at her, with his apron in her hands.
 
Jealousy.
 
  Yongguk's eyes lifted to meet mine, and I quickly averted my eyes.
 
  After I picked up my bag, I hugged Anna goodbye. "Have fun," I told her, and she replied with a smile. I didn't hug Cynthia, since she wasn't that okay with skinship, but waved goodbye to her.
 
  I went out of the kitchen to stand at the door, fishing out my umbrella when I saw that it was still raining. It was pink with white polka dots, not that I liked it, but what do you do when cute Anna who is blessed with marshmellow-like cheeks comes up to you with that as a present?
 
  I sighed, pushing open the door and leaning against it. The raindrops lightly kissed my face, making their way down it. I quickly opened up the umbrella. Holding the umbrella over my head, I held the door open for Yongguk, who had just came out of the kitchen. I considered going off without him, as revenge for making me have complicated feelings I've never experienced. I did not do so, despite a teeny part of me that desired revenge, because the other part of me felt that it was too unfair for him.
 
  He thanked me with a smile. "No umbrella?" I asked, after taking a look at his hands that held nothing. He shook his head. I stepped closer to him, shielding him from the rain.
 
  "Thanks. Here, I'll hold it," Yongguk said, hand reaching out to grab the umbrella. We stood side by side, shoulder to shoulder. The sound of the rain filled my eardrums, such a soothe that I would love to listen to everyday.
 
  The train station was a 15 minutes walk away. Glancing at Yongguk, I saw that his shoulder was wet. I then looked up and noticed that the umbrella was slanted to my side. His gentlemanly gesture was very touching. With a great amount of courage, I hesitantly stepped closer to him, grabbing his free hand to rest on my waist.
 
  He was so shocked that he stopped walking. His hand tensed at the touch of my waist. "W-what?" He spluttered, cheeks a healthy red. I chuckled at his embarrassment, before pointing up at the umbrella. "Ah... You noticed," he admitted, his hand leaving my waist to scratch the back of his neck. He straightened the umbrella, under my pleading gaze.
 
  Out of the corners of my eye, I saw that he hesitated placing his hand back on my waist. "I don't mind," I said, apparently giving him the push he needed. His hand found its spot on my waist, shyly pulling me closer. I complied, feeling as if all the butterflies in the world suddenly chose to reside in my stomach.
 
  We walked to the train station in comfortable silence.