Thought We're Friends

Friends with Benefits, More or Less

I was working on my assignment when a Skype notification popped up.

 

K-ris_90

is online

 

It had been three weeks since Kris went back home. Which meant it had been three weeks since Kris asked me to be his boyfriend. Which also meant three weeks since I last spoke to him.

 

. . . . . . . . . . .

 

 

"Be my boyfriend." What? I didn't turn to face him but I knew he could feel my body tensed. There was an awkward silence between us, before he continued. "I know this isn't how it's supposed to be. Heck, this is not what I expected when we started this thing. I thought things would be easier since I've known you for so long and I never had any feelings towards you before. But, when we spent so much time together I couldn't stop myself for wanting something more than what we have now."

 

"What are you talking about Kris? We're friends and we have . That's all." I made my voice sound unaffected and sleepy when in fact I was wide awake.

 

"I know we're friends and we came from way back. That's exactly why I thought this friends with benefits thing would work out. I thought I could never see you as something more than a friend. But I guess I was wrong. When we started this thing, I just wanted to know how it feels to have with you, and I'm pretty sure the feeling is mutual."

 

"Maybe you're just confused, Kris."

 

"That I sure am. When I first came here, I was just glad we could have everyday. But after some time, I started to question myself. How would it feel to not have to sneak in and out every night? How would it feel to sleep and wake up with you in my arms? How would it feel to kiss you and hug you and hold your hand in front of other people? I started to notice how cute you were in the apron when you're cooking in the kitchen, how you would smile brightly when you get food, how silly you were when you're playing with Chanyeol, how your face would soften every time D.O. talk to you. When we watched the ghost movie, I really had to stop myself from wrapping you in my arms to protect you. When we walked to the shop, I tried hard not to hug you to keep you warm. When we ate frozen yogurt, I bit my lips so hard to stop myself from kissing you. When you got your palms burned, I couldn't stop thinking if you were in pain."

 

He took a pause and shifted a little bit closer to me. I still had my back towards him, not daring to move a single muscle.

 

"I thought a lot about it. This morning, I woke up thinking I wouldn't be able to be with you this close again till summer and my heart started to hurt. Then I remembered the night before you flew back here. It was the same feeling. The feeling of not wanting to let you go. I want to stay with you. Suho, I've fallen for you. I love you. I want to make you mine, and mine alone." There was something in his voice. Something like… desperation, longing, sadness? I wasn't so sure as I was too busy absorbing his words. I couldn't find anything to say to him.

 

There was another silence before I could hear him sigh. I felt him shift again, only this time he left my bed and went out of my room. I still hadn't moved. I couldn’t think.

 

What the hell just happened?

 

. . . . . . . . .

 

 

I remembered the next morning. It was so awkward between us. The ride was filled with Chanyeol's talking about the awesomeness of the winter break and D.O. talking about how great it would be if Kris became a student of our university so we all could hang out more. I was so quiet that D.O. asked if I was okay. Luckily it was still early in the morning and they know I wasn't really the nicest talkative person when I just woke up. The truth was, I didn't get any sleep at all last night after Kris left my bed. Before he checked in, I wished him farewell and offered a hand for him to shake just to get the suspicious eyes of D.O. off of me. That was the last words I spoke to him.

 

I felt my head throbbed. Damn. I decided to rest for a bit and I lied down on my bed. I started to think about Kris.

 

I've known him since high school. We always hung out and I was comfortable enough to invite him to my house even without the presence of Luhan. Even Chen was okay with it. It was all good. Although we might not be the best friends ever, but there weren't any attractions between us. Well, apart from the make out incident, we were always like bros. That was true even after we became friends with benefits. Plus, knowing his history with men, I always thought he would go for the more sassy, bratty rich kids, like Kai. Why me? I was never attracted to him in that kind of way. Did he think I'd fall for him?

 

Argh. This is so confusing. It's been a while since I last had someone liking me. I wish I could talk to someone about this. I can't possibly talk to D.O.. He'd want to know who the guy was or he won't talk to me. Chanyeol is a lost cause. I can't talk to Luhan. He might not directly pressure me to tell him who it is like D.O., but that kid is smart and sneaky. I would end up spilling more than I should. And I'm not in that kind of friendship with Sehun to have this kind of talk.

 

Then it came to me. Chen.

 

He should know how Kris feels right now since he was the one who confessed to me. And he has also been in my shoes, with Xiumin confessing to him.

 

Perfect.

 

I got off my bed and sat in front of my laptop. When I saw the him online, I grinned.

 

s.u.h.o : hey chen. how's it going? u bz?

 

ChenYA : hi suho! Everything's good. Not bz. y?

 

s.u.h.o : can we talk? I need help  >.<"

 

ChenYA : sure. Gimme a moment. I'll get my headphone

 

s.u.h.o : ok

 

A few seconds later, an invitation to a video call came and I accepted it.

 

"Hey kiddo. What's up? You look troubled." I could see Chen with worried expressions across his face. I laughed.

 

"Hey Chen. It's nothing big really. I just have a few questions about something."

 

"Then shoot." He leaned back against the wall and made himself comfortable. I hesitated, before deciding to just go with it.

 

"Do you remember when you had a crush on me and chased after me until I finally gave in to you?" He chuckled and I could see him nodding his head. "Well, here's the thing. Someone had just confessed to me, but I've always seen him as a friend. We hang out together and stuff, so I just can't think of him as something more than a friend. We got too comfortable with each other that I'd never thought we’d be together." I looked at Chen. He leaned forward.

 

"Before you proceed, this someone you're talking about, it's Kris right?" I must have dropped my jaw to the floor by the way he's laughing at me now.

 

"How… How do you know?"

 

"Well, I'd seen the way you interacted with him on our last day at the beach getaway. I mean, aside from the 'glow' on your face, there was just something else. It's not that obvious, but let me remind you I didn't spend 3 years with you for nothing." I was my turn to chuckle. I guess that's probably right. "So, he finally confessed?"

 

"Yeah. But there's something else. You were right about the 'glow', but that night we had made a deal. We became friends with benefits." I saw his eyes widen a little. "We've been friends for some time, and he proposed the idea to me when I told him I wasn't into relationships but I won't sleep around when I need 'that'. I initially thought he was crazy, but then I accepted since that'd be the best option for me. So that's how it all started." I paused and he gave me a few nods to make me continue.

 

"We had 'that' whenever we needed to. I really thought it was convenient for both of us. Then when he came last winter, we went at it like bunnies. We had to convince D.O. and Chanyeol that our neighbors were to be blamed for the strange noises in the middle of the night. At first, everything was just fine. We were friends during the day and we ed at night. He left my bed when we're done and when we got up in the morning, it's almost like nothing happened. But towards the end, he seemed to be a little more affectionate. Well, it's not something too obvious and he didn’t do anything in front of the ChanSoo couple, but I felt like he wanted to get closer. Then on his last night he confessed to me and asked me to be his boyfriend. And I haven’t talked to him ever since because I don’t know what to say. Heck, I don’t even know what to think of it."

 

"So you came to me to ask me what to do?"

 

"Well, yes, but I also wanna know what he sees in me and how he would feel about this whole thing. I thought you'd know."

 

"I'm pretty sure we'd see you in different ways. When I first knew you, I was only attracted to your cool aura. The aura saying 'I don't give a , so scram!'. I didn’t know who you were underneath the poker face. So I came to you just because you were a cool kid with cute face. He, on the other hand, had the advantage of seeing everything when you guys were just friends. I know how different you became when you were just friends or when you were in a relationship. Just take us as an example. You become yourself when you're with your friends and with me when we broke up. Back when we were a couple, you did be yourself but in a different way. But that's why I love you. And I'm pretty sure he loves that about you, too."

 

"But, how can something change so quickly? One minute we're ing bunnies on energizer who don't give a damn about feelings, then suddenly he's fallen for me?

 

"Do you really believe he just 'suddenly' fell for you? Why would he ask you to be his buddy if he doesn’t feel comfortable with you? Have you ever thought that maybe, just maybe, he had liked you for longer than you, or even he, know?"

 

That last one left me dumbfounded. What? I never thought of that.

 

"By the look on your face I figured you hadn’t really thought about that, huh? Haha. You're so obvious. Suho, I think you should probably talk to Kris. I'm pretty sure he's dying over here. You don’t have to accept him right away, but you could probably give him a chance to at least show you that he really meant what he said. I love you, kiddo, and I think it's about time you to give yourself a chance. It's gonna be worth it, okay."

 

After talking for a bit more and thanking him and making sure he won't tell anybody, we bid each other farewell. Sometimes, I felt like breaking up with Chen was one of the best things that could happen to me. Loving him doesn’t mean we have to be lovers, and he's the best I could rely on. Lucky Xiumin.

 

Somehow my head felt a bit lighter. I saw his ID. Great. He's still online.

 

s.u.h.o : Hey

 

Typing...

 

Typing...

 

Typing...

 

K-ris_90 : Hey

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


A/N: I hope there's enough sweetness in this chapter for you guys. And hope you like the SuChen part.

Also, I've been thinking about the plans for this story. So, would you guys kindly vote as follows?

Please vote and leave comments on what you want me to do. Thanks guys!