Cold Winter and Chicken Soup

Friends with Benefits, More or Less

I put on my boots and pulled the hood of my jacket over my head. I saw Kris already waiting for me so I quickly closed and locked the door. We made our way to the shop which wasn't that far away. I was usually fine with walking in the cold, but somehow it was a bit colder today and I was dressed lightly so I started to shiver and put my hands in my pocket.

 

"Cold?" Kris asked with one brow raised. I just nodded.

 

We kept walking and I could feel Kris gazed at me once in a while. My shaking got worse and I rubbed my hands together to get a bit more warmth. Suddenly I was stopped and I felt one of my hands got wrapped in something warm. I looked up at Kris as he fixed his right glove on my right hand. He then took my other hand and put it in the pocket of his jacket and squeeze it a bit. I was stupefied. He just smiled at me and we then resumed walking.

 

"Why would you dress so lightly when you know you're gonna walk outside?"

 

"I don't like thick clothes. I get too warm too quickly."

 

"So you're saying you wear this every time you go out?" He looked down at my clothes, and I followed his gaze. A hooded jacket, t-shirt, pants and boots. No scarf, no gloves, no hat. I guessed that's not enough, huh?

 

I just shrugged my shoulder. "I'm comfortable like this. Scarves suffocate me, hats give me headache and gloves make me itchy."

 

"Really? Or were you waiting for me to make you warm?" What?

 

"As if. I'm fine by my own, thank you very much." He just chuckled and I let out a huff.

 

We bought all the things we need for lunch and left the shop. I also bought a pair of gloves just to avoid the same thing happening on our way back.

 

"New gloves? What's wrong with my hand?" I glared, and he just gave me a grin.

 

We walked in silence. Suddenly I felt a craving for something and without saying anything I just grabbed his arm and pulled him towards it.

 

"Hey, what's up? Are you okay?" I just ignored his question and pushed him into the shop. His face was blank before he realized what shop he was in. By that time I was already at the counter making my purchase. Not long after that I went back to him grinning.

 

"Want some?" I offered him.

 

"Really, Suho? Frozen yogurt? In this weather?" He asked in disbelief.

 

"Well, I told you I don’t like being too warm. It's too cold outside and if I keep my body temperature too high, I would get sick. I don't want to be sick at the start of the semester. Plus, this is really good. Here, try some. I got cake batter, cookies & cream, and coffee. These are my favorite." I handed him the cup. He hesitated at first, but then took it from my hand.

 

I kept looking as he tried the frozen yogurt. He then handed back the cup and nodded as if approving the frozen yogurt. I beamed and got back to eating. I heard a chuckle.

 

"You're really random, Suho. One minute you were shaking your bones out, then suddenly we're in this shop just to eat frozen yogurt. Who'd eat this when it's minus 10 degrees outside. I'm pretty sure even the workers here would think you're out of your mind."

 

"Nah. They're used to it. I come here a lot.  I really like it here. They have almost everything I like. Frozen yogurt, coffee, muffins, cookies and scones. Sometimes I'd get freshly baked muffins or cookies for free, too."

 

"Don't you get bored of it?"

 

"Nope. It's not like I get the same thing every time I eat here. Plus, this place is very good for me to hide from Chanyeol's hype or D.O.'s nagging. When I feel like I'm losing it, I'd come here. If the weather's nice, I'd get the yogurt and eat it by the river. It's really soothing, y'know."

 

"So Chanyeol and D.O. do not know about this place?"

 

"I don't think I'm busted yet. They rarely come to this part of town, so I'd say this is a very safe place. You won't tell them about this, right?"

 

He shook his head. "I never knew you have this side to you, Suho. Very cute."

 

I gulped down the last bit of frozen yogurt. Did he just say… cute?

 

I pretended to not hear it and casually asked him if he was ready to leave. He nodded, so we got up, gathered our groceries, thanked the workers and left the shop.

 

. . . . . . . . . .

 

It was already 11.00 a.m. when we got home. I straightaway gathered all the things I need to cook while Kris helped with putting everything in place. I ended up buying chicken for Chanyeol although I said there'd be no chicken today. Who would have the heart to say no to that idiot.

 

"What are you making?"

 

"I'm thinking something like chicken noodle soup. It's cold so this will warm us up. Plus, I can make a lot of it at one go for Chanyeol and his big stomach. Is it okay with you?"

 

"Sure. That sounds good. Do you need me to help with anything?"

 

"Nothing much to be done. Maybe later you can help me with the noodle. I have to cook that separately since I don't know when they'll be back. I don't want it to be soggy."

 

He nodded and made his way to the table. I put on my apron and started working. I washed the celery, onion, garlic, carrots, and parsley and drained them. I cut them accordingly, and when that's done I heated up a mixture of chicken broth and water in the microwave. After that, I started to sauté the onion, garlic, celery and carrots, and added salt and pepper. When the broth was done, I immediately went to take it but being a careless person I forgot to cover my palms causing a bit of pain when they touched the hot bowl. .

 

"Are you okay? Let me see that." When did Kris get here?

 

"Yeah. I'm fine. It's not that bad." I took the bowl out of the microwave, with more caution this time, and pour it to the sautéed vegetables. Then I added the chicken and waited for the soup to boil.

 

I got the noodle and handed the package to Kris. "Your turn." He took it and started with the noodle. I was still waiting for the soup to boil when Kris grabbed both my hands and placed a Ziplock bag with ice cubes in it. I looked at him, a bit confused.

 

"For your palms. Should cool them down a bit. They look really red, if you ask me." Oh yeah. I wasn't really paying attention to the pain, but this is really nice. I smiled and thanked him, and get back to my boiling soup. Almost done. I looked over his noodles, which were almost done as well. I lowered the heat to my soup and let it simmer until we're ready to eat.

 

Just as Kris finished draining the noodles, we heard a loud "We're back!" that could only come from Chanyeol. Perfect timing. I turned off the heat to my soup and placed the pot on the table next to the noodles.

 

"Chicken soup! I know you love me, bro. Thanks for the meal!" Chanyeol quickly took a seat with D.O. following, taking a seat next to Chanyeol.

 

"Eat up. I know it's cold outside. How's the class today?"

 

Chanyeol and D.O. started talking about their first days of class. It's nice to have lunch like this. We usually grabbed whatever lunch we could get, whenever we had the time, wherever we happened to be at that time, with whomever available.

 

This is really nice.

 

. . . . . . . . . .

 

It's the last night for Kris and tomorrow morning he'd fly back home. Luckily it was weekend, so Chanyeol, D.O. and I were able to send him off.

 

As a farewell gift, I told Kris that he could do whatever he wanted with me that night. I was expecting something that would have me blame the neighbors again for their loud y time, but that never came. Instead, Kris was so gentle and he really took his time, extending our session to a very long time. Almost like he didn’t want it to end. When we're finally done, I noticed him taking his time to leave my bed since he always left directly after . Instead, he lied down next to me.

 

"Suho."

 

"Yeah."

 

"Be my boyfriend."