Save the last dance

Dream High – Class of 2007

JYPFSA is proud to present the 10th Annual COUPLE DANCE CONTEST!

Come with your partner and strut your stuff to win the grand prize of $200,000won and get to travel to Japan with 2pm on their Arena Tour concert!

What are you waiting for, students? Grab that partner and costumes! It’s time to party again!

 

Yubin took that pamphlet from the teachers’ staff room and headed to her classroom for her lesson. She was in an excited mood. This dance contest was a fun experience for her back in the days that she wanted her students to also experience it as well.

“So is anyone interested in this dance contest?” Yubin waved the pamphlet to her students in class.

But there was only lukewarm response from her students.

“Guys! This is like prom night, except that it is more FUN! Look at the prize money and that all-expense paid trip to Japan. You even get to mingle with 2pm backstage! C’mon! I need to see some show of enthusiasm!” Yubin encouraged.

“Sunsaeng-nim, it’s just that I think we are all saving up and concentrating on the kpop group challenge contest at the end of the year.” JB revealed. “Me, JR and Jaehyung had been practicing for that already.”

“But this dance contest is easy and if you guys have a good dance partner in mind, you can rock it. I can help you kids along as well.” Yubin somehow felt like this was a redemption mission for her since she lost the contest during her time.

“Did you join this contest during your time, sunsaeng-nim?” Ayeon put up her hand to ask Yubin.

“I did.” Yubin nodded.

“Really? Did you win?” Jimin asked excitedly.

“Sadly, no.” Yubin admitted, remembering having lost to Chansung and Fei from another class.

“Really? Why?!” JR asked.

Hmm… maybe because she spent most of her private dance practice sessions making out with her partner instead of really practicing dancing, that’s why.

“We did not practice enough.” Yubin revealed regretfully.

“So what kind of dance did you do?” Jimin asked and somehow Yubin wished her kids would stop asking about her experience because though it was sweet good memories, she would feel the heartache of missing it when recalling it.

“We did a tango.” Yubin disclosed.

-----

Flashback 2006 : Back to the days when we were young and wild and free..

 

It was a mess. They were either stepping on each other’s foot or they were pushing each other away and then one of her boys twisted his ankle.

Ivy sunsaeng-nim clapped her hands to signal all dancing couples to stop practice as she approached her favorite boy. Her pet. Ivy’s little Teacher’s pet, Khun was sitting on the floor hissing in pain.

“Are you ok, Khun?” Yubin looked at her dance partner holding on to his painful ankle.

“I think I really twisted it…” Khun groaned. “It’s not your fault, Yubin. I was clumsy.”

“It’s ok. Let’s send him to the sick bay to get medical help.” Ivy advised and big guy Taec came over and swiftly carried his homie effortlessly off the floor, heading out of the dance studio.

 When the boys left, Ivy pulled Yubin aside to discuss on the tango dance issue.

“I was going to pick you and Khun to join the contest for this year’s couple’s dance.” Ivy revealed to Yubin. “But obviously with his new ankle injury, I think it’s gonna be tough. I need to get you another partner.”

“Who do you have in mind, Sunsaeng-nim?” Yubin asked.

“Taecyeon. He’s the next best dancer in tango after Khun. The rest of the boys can’t make it.” Ivy shook her head.

“But Taec’s too tall for me. He’ll go well with Yeeun or Sunmi, not me!”

“I know but did you see how tough it was for him to get along with Yeeun. They were fighting half the time during their dance. Sunmi is still slightly stiff. Perhaps she’s shy. And she doesn’t have the appeal I need for this dance than you, Yubin.” Ivy declared. “Just try it out with Taecyeon a few times. You are wearing heels anyway so the height issue could be solved.”

When Taec came back and informed the class that Khun was sent to the hospital to be treated, Ivy did not waste time in informing the changing partner idea to Taec.

Taec just shrugged and accepted his teacher’s idea. He did as told as he got ready to do the tango dance routine with Yubin. It was the same choreography Ivy taught all of them.

They did the lift, the swing, the pull and lastly the stare, perfectly and unexpectedly well.

Ivy clapped with such gratefulness she was glad her problem was solved so soon.

“Ok, I want you guys to practice as much as you can when I’m not around. I’m submitting your names to the contest.” Ivy announced to Taec and Yubin before she ended the dance class for the day.

Yubin wasn’t sure why it felt different when she danced with Taec. With Khun, everything was also smooth and his friendly brotherly nature made her feel at ease. With Taec, there was some kind of unexplainable tension, or a force that seemed to guide them smoothly through the dance. Like you expect the chemistry to but it turned out better than expected. When the last part of the dance where she stretched her back as he held her back and his face was only inches away from hers, she couldn’t stop staring into his eyes.

As she packed her things ready to leave the dance studio with the rest of the girls, Taec asked her. “Yubin, do you wanna a stay back and practice a little more? Maybe another half hour or so?”

Yubin actually did not mind. In fact, she wanted to test again if they really had such chemistry. She told the girls not to wait up for her since she decided to stay a little longer to practice. When Yubin and Taec got into practice mode this time alone with no one watching, it seemed they got more innovative on every trial. Together, they added some new moves to Ivy’s choreography, thinking they could try out and show it to Ivy the next lesson. Then there was one move which they both did not discuss to add but it just happened to come out naturally. The last pose where they had their ending close proximity gaze, Taec had slowly moved his face breathing down her neck to her chest. The feeling was so intense Yubin could feel her heart racing at his breath caressing against her skin.

Taec could sense Yubin’s heartbeat that he felt his own racing along as well. He suddenly felt embarrassed and quickly let go of her before things got out of hand. That last additional move was not intentional but came naturally to him and he wasn’t sure if it would be fine with his partner.

“Sorry. I don’t know what came over me to add that last move.” Taec apologized.

“It’s fine, Taec…” Yubin said. “I think we should add that move too.” She smiled and checked her watch only to realize they had spent more than an hour practicing already.

“I’ll walk you to your dorm.” Taec offered and Yubin accepted. Somehow recently, Taec’s uncool level had gone several notches down in her meter and her attraction to him seemed to have shot up a level she was surprised at it herself. He was not only smart, but had some nice moves too, not to mention, the height and looks of a runway model. Because there were times he felt like an innocent child to her, she did not feel as if he was taking advantage of her when they had to do those intimate tango dance moves.

As they walked towards the girls’ dorm, Yubin clumsily tripped on something and Taec quickly held her hand, asking if she was fine. She nodded and when he let go of her hand, she refused to let it go. Yubin walked on without looking at Taec because she was too shy to see his reaction. She just wanted to hold his hand and walk. And as for Taec, he was more than happy to hold her hand, even intertwining it for a firmer, intimate grip. The young couple walked lightly swinging their hands till they reached the girls dorm which for once Yubin wished it was more than 5minutes away from school.

“Yubin…” Taec called softly. “I think… It’s hard for me to let you go just yet.” He held her hand tight, refusing to let go.

Yubin blushed at the same thoughts she seemed to be sharing with him but decided to remind him. “Unfortunately I have to go in before lights out and that is like….” She looked at her watch. “…in 8 minutes time?”

“Can we have breakfast together tomorrow?” Taec asked her for a breakfast date, his hand still knitted closely to hers.

“Sure.” Yubin agreed and Taec smiled, flashing his handsome dimples.

“But my hands still refused to let go of you…” Taec held on to both of her hands now. This guy could be quite a cheeseball.

“I do know a way that can solve this problem.” Yubin said and he looked at her curiously.

Tip-toeing, she landed a surprise kiss on his lips. Before Taec could react, Yubin managed to free her hands from him and skipped towards the girls’ dorm. She turned back to a smiley Taec and kept the promise to see him tomorrow for breakfast.

“Goodnight, Taecyeonie. See you tomorrow!” she waved.  

------------------  End of Flashback ----------------

A/N: The next chapter will go into the present day after the break-out of the scandal and there will still be flashbacks.