What radar?

Dream High – Class of 2007

“Unnie, I can’t eat this much!” Lim finds her plate filled with more food from her older group members flat-mates, Yubin and Yeeun as they are having their lunch break in JYPFSA canteen.

“You’ll miss the food since it’s your last day here in school.” Yeeun reasons.

“I’ll only miss the dukbokki… but I know I’ll miss teaching mostly..” Lim admits as she digs her fork to those spicy rice cakes. She had to leave her celebrity teaching job since she has received more regular MC roles which required more of her idol time than teacher time.

“Bet my solo activities are not gonna happen anytime soon now that my idol career is going downhill, thanks to some photo scandal!” Yubin recalls her recent bad luck.

“It’s not, unnie. Don’t say that!” Lim tells Yubin.

“You know something, Yub..” Yeeun advises as she has seen enough of gloomy Yub lately. “You need to date someone new already. It’s been more than 6months since you broke up. Move on already. All those dudes who had been pursuing you, you should start giving them a chance.”

“But they are not really my type, Yeeun.” Yubin gives her excuse.  

“I think the problem lies in Unnie’s lack of radar. She needs to turn that radar on full mode now.” Lim gives her input to Yubin. “I mean there’s that cute hunky physical education coach in school and you didn’t even notice him?”

“Lim’s right. Time to check out the men around you!” Yeeun concurs and tells Yubin.

“Am I that blind to other men?” Yubin asks her girls.

Lim and Yeeun nod without a doubt.

------

Walking towards the teaching staff room with her teaching files in her arms after the end of a class, Yubin suddenly stops her track after a few steps past the gym room. She decides to backtrack and finds herself taking a peek through the small door window. She sees a tall, masculine side view of the supposedly cute hunky Physical Education teacher that Lim mentioned earlier. She can’t really see his face so she moves closer to the window.

“Yubin?” a male voice next to her suddenly surprises her and she drops her files upon being caught peeking at some cute coach.

The guy who called her turns out to be someone she knows and a fellow celebrity. A popular actor and a cute, good-looking one. Actually he’s someone whom she knew through her ex-boyfriend. What is Kim Soohyun doing in JYPFSA? Soohyun is on his knees now picking up her files and she realizes her embarrassing clumsiness.

“There you go!” Quick and swift Soohyun seems to have swept up all the files and hands them over to her with a boyish grin.

“Thanks, Soohyun. What are you doing here?” Yubin asks as she takes back her files.

“There’s a workshop for the acting classes held earlier and I was invited by JY as the guest speaker. It’s break-time now so I was looking around for the canteen but then I saw you and thought I come by and say hi.”

She only met him twice before. Once at JYP’s when he came by for rehearsals with his Dream High cast mates and Taec introduced him to her. And another time was at Wooyoung’s birthday party. She loved Soohyun’s dramas and movies and can be considered quite a fangirl of his.

“Well, do you need directions to the canteen? I can direct you there.” Yubin offers.

“Great! But would you have coffee with me as well? I don’t know anyone else in the school and eating alone might be a little bit uncomfortable.” Soohyun asks of Yubin.

Yubin understands well since she’s also a celebrity. If you are alone in a public place, there’s a high chance you get mobbed for autographs or photos but if you are with someone else, people might still understand and try not to invade a private conversation.

Yubin takes a look at her watch and notes that she still has some time before her next class.

“Sure! Why not?” She smiles, accepting the offer.

------

Flashback 2006 : Back to the days when we were young and wild and free..

Yubin watched in shock as her boyfriend came out of his dorm to meet her outside for their shopping date. She face-palmed herself as she turned away from him, walking away.

“What’s wrong, baby?” Taec asked after her.

“Why are dressed like a freakin traffic light, Taec?” Yubin walked on without looking back. “Gosh, you are embarrassing me!”

“But Junsu said this was cool. He said it’s fashion.” Taec explained, double-checking on his bright yellow tee and orange pants, and a ‘matching’ multi-colored  cap.

“More like a terrorist to fashion, Taec! No one mixes bright colors like this. Your roommate just trolled you big time!” Yubin revealed.

Taec walked briskly behind his girlfriend as she rushed towards the bus stop. Was she that embarrassed to be near him? Was he really that badly-dressed? He looked around the people at the bus stop, some sniggering at him. Perhaps Yub was right and he made a mental note to kill Junsu later.

“Where are you going, Yub?” Taec asked when they finally reached the mall and Yubin did not enter the costume shop they originally planned on shopping for their tango costumes.

“Getting you new clothes first!” Yubin pulled him along with her towards a Mens fashion store.

Upon arriving in the store, they bumped into a familiar face. It was Seulong from the class next to theirs in JYPFSA.

“Hi Yubin!” Seulong greeted Yubin and Taec wondered why Seulong did not greet him. He was quite close with Seulong because the dude lived next to his dorm and they hang out quite often.

Then Seulong finally noticed Taec behind Yubin and jerked in surprise. Taec was suspicious of his friend’s interest in his girlfriend for a long time. Seulong always looked smitten with Yubin and Taec suspected Ong was probably feeling guilty upon catching Yubin’s boyfriend around her.

“What the , Taec?! Why are you dressed like that? I couldn’t recognize you at first!” Seulong looked at Taec in horror. Guess Taec assumed wrong. That surprise look was aimed at his dressing, not the boyfriend presence.

“I’m fixing that problem now, Ong.” Yubin informed Seulong as she went straight to browsing through racks of clothes, waving Seulong along to help her.

Seulong was a tall dude like Taec and had the bodyworks of a male model too but Ong knew how to dress himself well, unlike Taec. Together, Ong and Yubin finally picked out some clothes for Taec. Taec obediently took the clothes from them.

“Holy , Taec!” Another witness appeared in the store, exclaiming at Taec’s horrid dressing. It was Junho who was from the same dorm as Seulong. He was another dude who had a crush on Yubin as well and Taec was not very happy seeing how that fellow couldn’t stop laughing at him.

Yubin quickly pushed Taec into the fitting room, joining him in the room. She wasted no time in working on her fashion styling. Taec let his girlfriend undress and dress him up in the small fitting room.

“Baby, if it wasn’t for Khun’s injured ankle….” Taec asked sadly, her beautiful pretty face. “Would you have dated me?”

Yubin paused from buttoning Taec’s shirt and looked at his sad face. “Never crossed my mind. Why do you say that?”

“I mean, you didn’t like me in the beginning. I thought you would end up dating Khun or Junsu.. Even those 2 guys out there were also crushing on you. There are all these guys interested in you yet you chose me,” Taec noted as he flapped his arms at himself. “… the embarrassing fashion terrorist!”

“I don’t really care much for the other guys, Taec. All I know is… once I fall for a guy, I fall hard. And it just happened to be you out of all those guys.” Yubin admitted as she adjusted his outfit. She just never asked herself if the other boys were more suitable for her. Now that he brought the issue up, somehow, she couldn’t really explain this was how her love radar worked. She just went wherever her radar led her to and her radar usually only seemed to aim at one and did not have more than one option.       

“Even when I at dressing? You still fall hard for me?” Taec pouted, pulling her closer.

Yubin nodded and kissed those kissable pouting lips. It was too late. She loved him too much to bother about his occasional bad fashion sense. This could be improved on anyway. Once she was done with her styling, she pulled her piece of work out of the fitting room to show off to Seulong and Junho.

“Presenting my handsome namja!” Yubin announced proudly holding on to a new Taec in dark grey jeansa white long sleeve-folded casual shirt, half-buttoned, showing a navy long-sleeve t-shirt on the inside …. no longer a human traffic light.

------------------------- end of flashback -------------------------