'Bad' Teacher

Dream High – Class of 2007

“Yub, take a seat.” JY told Yubin as soon as she came into the principal’s office. Yubin wondered if it was one of those “how was the celebrity teacher job doing so far the past 6weeks?” update she was supposed to give JY but he looked gloomy so she doubted it.

“What’s up, boss?”

“I received a complaint letter that you are not dressed appropriately as a teacher here.” JY told her.

“I am a “celebrity” teacher! Hello?” Yubin countered.

“But my other celebrity teachers all dress up like the professional teaching staff. You need to follow the dress code so that the students don’t treat you different from them.”

“I don’t see my dressing as a big problem. I am not wearing anything revealing or y. I just have a better sense of fashion, that’s all. Anyway, I am working on that creative department for fashion and design art and kids doing that subject would want to look up to a fashionable-looking head of department, right?”

JY had to agree with Yubin on that but he knew the other teaching staff would still feel threatened by Yubin’s rather non-traditional influence on the students.

“Anyway, I am asking you to dress more formally as a respect for the teachers in this school as well as the students’ parents. Maybe for classes like song-writing, you could dress a little more formal? Can you do that little favor for me?”

“Fine…whatever.” Yubin finally agreed and was about to leave the office when she suddenly remembered years ago, during her student days in JYPFSA, there was still one teacher who got away with her daring dress code. Yubin turned around and reminded JY. “Do you remember Ivy Sunsaeng-nim? Back then, she used to dress WAY more inappropriate than me, ok?” 

-----

Flashback 2006 : Back to the days when we were young and wild and free..

 “I heard she’s on hiatus from the music scene and our principal has engaged her as a sub-teacher to take over Mr. Kim for a few months until he recovers from his arm injury.”

“She’s really pretty I don’t know if I can concentrate in class.”

Yubin heard all this murmurs of gossip going on among her classmates as she strode into her classroom. She couldn’t help but join in and listen in.

“But what about the new class president election? Mr. Kim is supposed to elect one of us. Now how is this new sub-teacher gonna elect a class president?’ Yeeun raised the concern that no one really bothered except her. Everyone was more interested in seeing how beautiful the new sub-teacher was.

“Or she could just leave the class president role to our current one then.” Jay decided to entertain Yeeun it seemed.

“No. I’m not doing another term of class presidency. It’s time Yeeun or someone else takes over me.” Sunye quickly added.

“Well then, it’s back to battle basics! I say my man, Taec will make a better class president than anyone here.” Jay campaigned.

“Mr. Kim did promise us that whoever got first position in class for this term gets the new class president role, remember?” Hyuna highlighted.

“And I still think that Taec will nail it when the results come out.” Jay was confident.

“We’ll see.” Yeeun folded her arms in confidence.

Yubin shook her head, as she listened in on all this fuss and competition for the most troublesome role – Class President. She was so not going to take up such a position even if someone gave it to her. 

The campaigning stopped when the new teacher finally arrived. She was indeed the famous singer, Ivy as rumored. She came dressed in a tight white shirt ed slightly to show some nice cleavage and a knee-length fitted black skirt depicting her y hip curves.  Yubin liked her right away. She just hoped this new teacher was as cool as she looked too.

 The new sub-teacher started the lesson introducing herself as Ivy. “Since you all already know who I am anyway…” she said with a friendly smile and then went on to the ice-breaking session where she got every student to introduce themselves briefly to her.

The boys were all mesmerized by her beauty, not to mentioned, dress code. Then Sunye lifted up her hand to ask a question.

Ivy remembered her as class president and acknowledged Sunye to speak.

“Sunsaeng-nim. If you don’t mind, as a routine procedure in this school, every term we have to elect a new class president and since it’s already a new term and you are taking over our form teacher’s role for now, would you do the honor of electing?”

“Why yes, of course, I’ll be honored.” Ivy stated with a smile.

“The last time Mr. Kim said that the new class president would be elected by the results of who is no.1 in class for this term exam results. Would you be announcing the results?” Sunye added.

Ivy considered for a while before she spoke. “So you mean to say, that if you Sunye gets 1st in class, you will be class president for another term again?”

Sunye shook her head immediately. “No, I can’t always be class president. I think it is only fair that others get a chance to be one too.”

“Then I would think this system of election based on academic results is not fair to you or others too. The smartest person in class doesn’t always have to be class president. Even the ones with the lowest results have every right to be elected as well. Everyone should be given the chance to play a responsible role. The lazy can’t always be forever lazy right?” Ivy stated.

Yeeun could be seen wanting to disagree with the new teacher but she controlled herself because Ivy’s words still bear fair logic.

“Ok, I say you all vote!” Ivy added. “But I get to pick out the nominees for you to vote.” And Ivy went through the file which everyone was sure she was looking through the term results.

Everyone in class tensed up as Ivy started to write down the nominees names on the board, wondering if she would be putting out the names of the top 4 in class.

Then Yubin got a shocked when she saw her name up on the board, along with 3 others including Yeeun’s name as well.

“These names are picked by me in random order..” Ivy stated. “They can be of any position in the class. I think this is a fair deal, don’t you think? Now you all can vote!”

There were 4 boxes with the nominees’ names where each and every student in class had to put in their anonymous votes on who they want as class president. Yubin quickly voted for Yeeun even though she did not really like that over-confident smart . However, when Ivy finally read out the verdict of the votes, it turned out that Yubin and Yeeun had the highest votes but eventually Yubin beat Yeeun by just a mere 3 votes.

“So I guess we have a new class president now. Please give a round of applause to Yubin!” Ivy announced and the class clapped along with her.

Yubin stood staring at all her classmates clapping and smiling at her, all except Yeeun. Even Taec, who was a hot commodity to be class president before this new voting scheme, was giving Yubin an encouraging smile.

Yeeun raised her hand to Ivy as she said “I’m sorry to object to this, Sunsaengnim….but how is an irresponsible person like her going to take up such a big responsible role?”

Yubin should be mad at Yeeun but somehow she had mixed feelings. A part of her wanted Yeeun to stop this madness as well because Yubin was so not ready to be a class president but another part of Yubin had that satisfactory feeling that she actually beat the smartest girl in class for once!

“Why do you say that, Yeeun?” Ivy asked.

“For example, she did not hand up her history assignment recently!” Yeeun exposed and Yubin gave Yeeun a “not cool” look. Yeeun might just beat Taec in the “uncool’ category now.

“Well then. I guess this new role will make her feel more responsible and start handing up her assignments on time now right, Yubin?” Ivy looked at Yubin to expect an agreement and Yubin nodded slowly.

“Very good then. It’s settled!” Ivy applauded herself for a great first day teaching job.

------------------  End of Flashback ----------------

A/N: Next up: Taec starts to miss someone badly. And class president or not, Yubin will be Yubin, she still breaks rules... and also starts to feel differently of someone.