Meeting the girls

Dream High – Class of 2007

It was one of those days that Sunmi was able to spare some time off her “24-hours” solo promotions to give her wonder teaching unnies a surprise visit at JYPFSA. She managed to grab hold of Yeeun after her lesson and they both walked over to the dance practice room where they heard Yubin was teaching her class. Just in time, the bell rang for lunch break. The girls waited outside for Yubin to come out and realized that every student in her class was giving Yubin a hi-five before they left the room. When the students came across Yeeun and Sunmi outside, they greeted them politely with a smile and half bow, though they were also star-struck at Sunmi’s rare presence in their school.

Upon seeing their unnie dressed in leather jacket and boots, all surprised and skipping happily towards them, the 2 wonder girls did not waste time in hugging their oldest member.

“Wah… I feel like a two-timer.” Yubin noted since she was in between the 2 members linking arms. People around them were staring and taking photos of the rare reunion of 3 wonder girls making their way to the staff canteen.

Yeeun then asked Yubin “What kind of teacher dresses like a biker to school?”

“I’m a celebrity teacher…of course I dress up like a celebrity.” Yubin looked back at Yeeun’s simple dress and asked. “Did you arrive here from your film set? You still looked like someone from the 30s.”

“Nooo..” Yeeun slapped Yubin’s shoulder feeling slightly insulted again by her fashion criticism. “Anyway, how was your 3 weeks here so far? It seems like the kids are getting along well with you.”

“Yup. They LOOOVVVEEE me….ever since my first day.” Yubin proudly said. The girls finally got their food at the staff canteen and sat down to chat.

“On the first day? Wow! My kids were all so shy it was so tough making them talk on my first day.” Yeeun revealed.

“Whatever happened to Yeeun, the fan-service queen?” Sunmi asked as she played with her food.

“JY placed me in charge of the top class. Basically, they are the smart serious ones… but lack the fun, let loose kind of attitude. But I’m proud of them. They have my brains so I’m fine with it.” Yeeun admitted.

Yubin gave Yeeun an expressionless face and shook her head. “I am so glad I am not in charge of your class. I’ll be bored to death. I’ll prefer a class of misfits than a smart class.”

“Haha.. remember how we used to not get along in the beginning when we were classmates because you were the misfit and I was the smart one?” Yeeun recalled her old JYPFSA days with Yubin. 

“Yeah, we had really bad first impressions of each other back then!  But luckily for me, there was Sunmi. She was the first girl who was nice to me in class.” Yubin, like a proud mommy,  the short bob pink hair of the tall girl next to her playing with her food.

“Gosh, you girls were a riot back then. Always getting on each other’s nerves I was always torn in between you both!” Sunmi recalled her occasional dilemmas then.

As the girls reminisced on their past funny moments, they clapped and laughed so hard that they forgot they were public figures and not students of JYPFSA anymore.

------

Flashback 2006 : Back to the days when we were young and wild and free..

Yubin looked at her watch to see that there was still a bit of time during recess left before class resumed again so she decided to check out the library. She caught a familiar face who she remembered roughly from her class. The tall skinny girl with bangs was alone, reading a book with a smile. You would think she was reading a romance or comedy book to be smiling like this while reading but she was reading a some “How to save the Earth” book? Yubin walked over to sit next to her and when the girl saw her, she quickly nodded and smiled at her new classmate.

“Hi.. You must be Yubin. I’m Sunmi.” She offered her hand for a friendly handshake and Yubin shook it lightly.

“Why are you alone here? Where are your friends?” Yubin asked, like a concerned Unnie.

“Ermm.. they are hanging out somewhere. I told them I’m going to the library after our meal but they rather hang out some place where they can chat loudly, not the quiet library.” Sunmi smiled.

“I see.. I’m sorry I didn’t get the chance to mingle with you all earlier. I was kinda tired from my movie marathon last night.” Yubin informed.

“Really? I don’t get to do that because I live in a dorm with other girls so we have to be considerate to not keep anyone up with late night activities.”

“Oh. I do live in a dorm too but my roommate was watching the movies with me too so it was ok.” Yubin now wondered if Gina was not picking up her calls at the moment because she was trying to catch some sleep.

“That’s cool. But with Sunye unni as my roommate, I highly doubt I can have any late movie watching at home. haha.”

“Do you live in the school dorms? Because I heard it’s way cheaper than what we get outside. Do you know how my friend and I can apply for one here?” Yubin and Gina were looking for one anyway since their current rent was going to end and they couldn’t afford the high rent too.

“Yes, I can bring you to the dorm office after classes end later. How about that?” Sunmi offered and Yubin was glad she met the right person.

-----

The lecture hall was filled with kids from several classes and Yubin stood a little too long deciding where to sit even though there was no worries of taking someone’s designated seat in a free to sit lecture hall. It was just too many people and she also found it hard to find Gina there. Then Sunmi saved her from her confusion when she waved her over to sit next to her. Sunmi was sitting next to a group of 4 other girls whom she quickly made introductions when Yubin came over.

“Unnie, these are the girls I live in the dorm with. This is Sunye, that’s Yeeun and that’s Sohee and Hyuna at the end. Can Yubin unnie sit with us?” Sunmi asked the girls and they all gave Yubin a friendly nod. Yubin noted that Sunye was the most receptive and friendly to her. However, Yubin knew well that they would likely make horrible roommates especially after hearing some stories from Sunmi about Sunye’s rigid dorm rules. Yeeun seemed like someone in a class of her own, like she would never put Yubin in the same brainy class as her. Sohee was a mysterious one. She displayed a pure innocence with a cold exterior and Yubin did not blame Hyuna for looking kind of protective over this ice princess earlier when Yubin tried to take Sohee’s seat in class. Hyuna seemed like the playful kind, seeing how she chatted with the girls.   

“Hey Yub!! I’m sorry I missed your calls!” Gina finally appeared and Yubin quickly found her a seat beside her.

“Where were you?” Yubin asked.

“I was trying to find us a dorm! Anyway, I managed to register us for one 2-bed dorm in the school already. I think we can start to move in tomorrow.” Gina informed the good news.

Sunmi overheard and asked Yubin. “So I guess there’s no need for us to go to the dorm office later?”

“Yup but at least we get to be neighbors now.” Yubin winked at Sunmi who winked back.

When the lecture started, Yubin yawned a little too loud and got a look from Yeeun. Yubin mouthed “sorry” and wondered why that look was coming from a student and not the lecturer. That girl needed to chill. Gina was also dozing off and Yubin felt bad for dragging Gina into that late night movie watching last night. Yubin nudged Gina who woke up and quickly paid attention to the lecture.

“Hey babe, you haven’t told me how was your first day in class so far.” Gina whispered to Yubin.

“Oh, I met a group of English-speaking kids in my class. I bet you will get along with them. They are quite a friendly bunch.” Yubin told her Canadian-born friend.

“Really? Where are they?” Gina wondered.

Yubin looked around the crowded hall and tried to look out for the tall dude since his height and ears would certainly stand out from the crowd. When she turned around to her back to look around, she jerked in surprise that he was just seated right behind her and he was looking at her again with that blank stare. Taec was sitting with Jay and gang alright but they were seated too close to her for her to point out to Gina discreetly so she just told Gina she would introduced them to her later.

After the lecture ended, Yubin quickly introduced Gina to her new friends in her class and she knew with Gina’s bubbly friendly nature, she would get on fine with them. She would think that Taec, the American wannabe would be all over Gina especially with her flawless English but he was exceptionally quiet.

Taecyeon was quite disturbed by Yubin’s words earlier at the canteen. Why did she see him that way? She only got to know him just one day and made him sound like someone who was not proud of his Korean heritage. After that he did not know why he kept staring at her all the time, as if he wanted to dig for answers why she thought of him that way but he did not dare to ask her. Maybe he was afraid to get more negativity from her.

------------------  End of Flashback ----------------

A/N: The flashbacks will be a regular feature in all the following chapters as they sorta relates to the present time story. That's why the titles of my chapters are representive of both eras.